Beware smoke alarm

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

nic

Beware smoke alarm

Postby nic » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 am

The fire brigade came to our house and removed two perfectly good smoke alarms and installed two of their 10 yr alarms - I think early in 2012. Within two weeks one started bleeping every few seconds to indicate a low battery. They returned and fitted a new one. We didn't think too much about it when a slight mishap in the kitchen failed to set off the alarm - we just thought that it wasn't as sensitive as our old one . Then a few days ago a visitor to our house asked if the alarm was O.K. as it was making a funny noise - a noise like something was " shorting " inside the casing. We removed it and bought another one ,
A neighbour has since told us that her alarm didn't work when it should have done and that she had recalled the brigade.
Please check your alarms - normal checks appear to say that everything is in working order - perhaps waving a piece of burnt toast underneath may do it ! Nothing too dangerous please !

zzippy

Re: Beware smoke alarm

Postby zzippy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:45 pm

There's been newspaper articles about this sort of thing happening before,

Best alarms I had in a previous house were 2 wired into the Mains electric, Always felt pretty safe with them installed & they were regularly tested by Mrs zzippys culinary skills :mrgreen:

You have to wonder about 'binning' 2 good alarms as you say, I wonder if the fire brigade will start 'binning' this 'service' off to cut costs as people should be more aware of their own responsibilities & safety in these times of govt austerity :|,

I just wonder if mines positioned in the right place nowadays :|

Loobyloo

Postby Loobyloo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:30 am

My Mum had one fitted too, I think at about the same time and recently hers started to beep too. We tested it and it seemed to be working ok. She rang up about it and was just told that they last 10 years so must be ok. I think it was called Fire Angel or something like that. Will have to have another look at it now. I wonder if there has been a faulty batch

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 am

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... oke_alarms

Seems the faulty batch were Dicon in 2010 according to the article. Looks like they're a sealed unit where the battery cannot be changed.

Best quote is
OMSY wrote:The Fire Service tends to use quantitive statistics to measure its performance rather than qualitive statistics so fitting 300,000 will look good to those who the Fire Brigade Management Team try to impress.

nic

Postby nic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for the article but mine is a Fire Angel fitted in 2012 . Could a lot more homes be at risk ? Also why remove perfectly good fire alarms ?

rosiesaunt

Postby rosiesaunt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm

I had one of these fitted last year so now I am wandering iff it should be removed

boatmanckp

Postby boatmanckp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 am

Many so called sealed smoke alarms with the 10 year battery are not sealed but the battery is soldered in so you need a workshop and the correct tools to replace it.CKP

keioak

Postby keioak » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:39 am

We had two FireAngel smoke alarms installed by police a while ago. After a short time, one alarm started bleeping. I rang Cheshire police who arranged to send a replacement foc. My father-in-law who is 90 years old had smoke alarms fitted by the police. One has started bleeping already. This is very worrying based on the reports i have read and my own experiences. I have writtern to FireAngel and the Cheshire police for their most urgent comments. I will post any feedback i receive

Loobyloo

Postby Loobyloo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 am

My mum rang the firebrigade to tell them about her smoke alarm bleeping and was told that it would probably need a hoover out as it might have a little spider or some fluff inside. We pressed the test button and it seems to work but She's now fed up with it bleeping during the night. Sent my hubby off to buy a replacement and guess what? - he came back with another Fireangel. Apparently that was the only make in the shop. Haven't tried it yet though. We'd have been better off keeping the ones that the Firebrigade took down at the start. They worked fine

Return to “Poynton Forum”