Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

EGCD

Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Postby EGCD » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Yet another incident at the Park Lane / Bulkeley Road junction this morning, this time involving a scooter, and yet again the wet, polished and slippery granite setts used for the road surface were a contributing factor.

If anyone has experienced or are aware of incidents of unexpected skidding or wheel spinning during what you would consider to be normal driving that could be contributed to the wet granite setts on the shared space area please could you PM me, thanks.

This isn't about ripping the surface up and replacing with tarmac, but just ensuring that the granite sett surface friction is brought up to the minimum standards required, eg roughening or grooving the surface.

Cheshiregirl30

Re: Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Postby Cheshiregirl30 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I also experienced skidding at the same junction this afternoon.

Lily

Postby Lily » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:18 pm

It might be worth referring people back to your original posting EGCD.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2181&hilit=Shared+space+slippery+surface

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:24 pm

There is clearly an issue with the surface of the granite setts. As you say, EGCD has also fallen foul of them, and as this had a "frank and full discussion" at the time, please do not use this thread to make further comments about it.

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks to all those who have contacted me.

I don't mind which thread people comment on, and given that the previous "frank and full discussion" was over two and a half years ago and things havnt got any better in that time, (in fact they have deteriorated) I am sure there are more experiences that we all have to share, so feel free to comment.

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 am

In this thread someone on a scooter slipped on the granite blocks.
A post on social media refers to someone witnessing a woman on a bike being knocked off it.
A passenger on the P1 said a car had struck a woman and it was being sorted out because the Police were in Waitrose at the time.
Just exactly what did happen?

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:37 pm

There may have been more than one incident, but all I know from talking to a witness was that a young lady on a scooter braked to slow down at the Waitrose junction, the front wheel was reported to have locked up in the wet on the granite sett section causing the scooter to slip from underneath her, the scooter then slid along the road into the back of a car that had just pulled out of Waitrose.

Fortunately the rider was unhurt, just a bit shaken.

tankie615

Postby tankie615 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:35 am

Regarding the incident at the 'Waitrose crossroads' involving a scooter. I wouldn't be too quick to blame the surface.
My daughter had a similar accident some years ago (thankfully unhurt apart from some 'gravel rash'). She was a learner, and in her own words tried to bank the scooter into the corner. Of course this is difficult due to the fairing involved, which struck the road surface causing her to lose control.
It is always best to slow down and drive the scooter round the corner rather than attempting to 'bank'. Don't know the circumstances of this latest incident but the above advice is worth remembering by scooter learners.
This junction is a mess! Despite the claim that the ???'s regarding right of way causes drivers to slow down, motorists are ENTITLED to be given clear instructions at junctions. I did ask the questions some time ago as to what driving instructors advise learners to do, what a test examiner would expect a testee to do ? How would insurance companies view 'responsibility'. This was met with a stony silence.
In my recent experience, post Shared Space, of how we Poynton people treat each other on our roads (except for the usual %age of moronic Me-Me's), I am proud of US.
Even on negotiating that choke point half way up Park Lane, the you/me spirit prevails. The 'zip fastener' method as the Germans employ. (Enforced by the law!!)

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:24 pm

How do you drive a two wheeler around a corner without banking it ?

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm

tankie615 wrote:It is always best to slow down and drive the scooter round the corner rather than attempting to 'bank'. Don't know the circumstances of this latest incident but the above advice is worth remembering by scooter learners.

Thanks for the advice, but I understand the scooter rider was coming down Park Lane in a straight line, not turning.

Also, not 'banking' would be defying gravity, in this case counteracting the centrifugal force generated as a result of the turn and this would not be possible unless going really slowly, which in turn becomes an unsafe manoeuvre.

Return to “Poynton Forum”