Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

WigleyWoggled

Re: Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Postby WigleyWoggled » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:57 am

There's banking and banking to steeply or sharply. A sudden movement of banking can cause a slide. Bike riders have to read the road from a surface point of view and err on the side of caution.
I fell off a moped in my youth banking too steeply in the wet.
I've also seen a scooter rider fall off after braking sharply and riding in a straight line.

Its a known difficult junction so a rider needs to take extra care. Strangers to the area won't have a clue mind!!

number5

Postby number5 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:30 pm

I ride a scooter most days and in all weathers and in the shared space. my plea would be to sort out all of the white lines and metal manhole covers and pot holes before we tackle this non problem. yes it is a different road surface and can be less grippy when wet but ride with care and i would far rather ride on this than encounter a wet metal drain cover or pothole which are far more dangerous.

miker7301

Postby miker7301 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:48 pm

As a motorcyclist for over 20 years, I can comfortably say that bikes, or mopeds do not defy gravity, and centrifugal force does come into play when cornering at ANY speed ( or lack thereof)
I can also say that the granite blocks in Poynton are lethal in the wet, I will not negotiate them in the wet, but go down Clifford, and up Dickens.
I have reported this on up my street, but don't think there will be any progress until there is a fatality.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Well I was also a motorcyclist and do understand your point, but the whole Shared Space Scheme's success rests on people driving slowly and cautiously giving each other time and space to manoeuvre safely.
So I would have thought riding slowly and carefully will allow safe passage on the present surface. I've negotiated the Roundels several times on a bike and found them perfectly safe.

So in the end, drive at 30 mph and you're likely to come a cropper!

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 pm

WigleyWoggled wrote:Well I was also a motorcyclist and do understand your point, but the whole Shared Space Scheme's success rests on people driving slowly and cautiously giving each other time and space to manoeuvre safely.
So I would have thought riding slowly and carefully will allow safe passage on the present surface. I've negotiated the Roundels several times on a bike and found them perfectly safe.

So in the end, drive at 30 mph and you're likely to come a cropper!

Which is the speed limit!! So if it's dangerous at that speed it needs changing, not the speed the surface!!! Paviours should NEVER be used on a road

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:06 pm

As the much loved chief constable for North Wales, Richard Brunstrom, once said, the speed limit is a limit, not a target. Always drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions (provided that this isn't above the speed limit - something that CEC seem to have lost touch with these days when setting unrealistically low speed limits).

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:37 pm

nedsram wrote:As the much loved chief constable for North Wales, Richard Brunstrom, once said, the speed limit is a limit, not a target. Always drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions (provided that this isn't above the speed limit - something that CEC seem to have lost touch with these days when setting unrealistically low speed limits).

Unfortunately Neds times have changed over the last few years the learners are taught to drive to the speed limit! so if it says 30 they do 30, etc, conditions don't factor into driving lessons! On Fri afternoon heard a driver shouting out of window to car in front "fu*kin speed up you old T**t it's 30 don't you know! passing church on London Rd Sth!!

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:06 pm

Learners have enough to worry about without attempting to make safe speed judgements. That's the job of the instructor, but I guess it's easier just to let the learner drive at the speed limit.

As to the "polite" driver outside the church, there's a lot of it about. When my wife showed exasperation earlier today at a convoy of 6 drivers forcing their way westbound through the "gentleman's one way system" section of Park Lane, one "lady" shouted "p**s off".

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 am

Ah rules for fools!! ... It says 30 so drive at 30 no matter what ???
Its not that I think the road sets are a good idea, its the 'we should be able to drive at the speed limit irrespective of the conditions' I struggle with.

If riding a motorbike taught me anything it was drive as the condition of the road allows. Seems sensible enough! Expecting all to wizz past the Waitrose junction at 30mph because we can is just plain lunacy, unless of course there's a strong desire to tempt fate !!

number5

Postby number5 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm

it's not a road it'a a shared space therefore the statement about the surface is irrelevant, just go at a speed (below the limit) that you feel comfortable with, if that's 5 mph then fine, it's only a few yards

just have consideration for other road users who may be less confident than you or have other things to contend with.

Return to “Poynton Forum”