Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

EGCD

Re: Shared Space Slippery Surface - again.

Postby EGCD » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:18 am

number5 wrote:it's not a road it'a a shared space.
????!!!

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Another cyclist slipped off their bike on the slippery surface in the wet on Park Lane this morning at about 8:45.

If it was you or you have any information please PM me, thanks.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Thinking back to when I was 19, my Father taught me to drive. I took my driving test in Macclesfield when hand signals were used. Not once did the issue of safe speed come into it. It was just a test to show we could drive and knew the highway code. So nobody told me to drive all the time at the speed limit irrespective of conditions, in fact such an instruction would make one wonder at the sanity of the test officer.

As for shared space I've begun to think we need a walking demonstration down the middle of each vehicle lane carrying placards announcing 'If you can drive on and park on the pavement then we can walk along the road. Sorry for the hold up but we must walk somewhere' :mrgreen:

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 am

I wonder if there's a record anywhere of all the cyclists, mobility scooters, prams and pedestrians etc who have traversed these treacherous deadly areas safely that some speak of to put things into perspective?

I'm seriously wondering if I should now avoid these areas completely to protect myself after only managing to cross them a few thousand times by a variety of means over the last few years with absolutely no issue at all and feeling nothing but safe :|

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:40 am

zzippy wrote:...I'm seriously wondering if I should now avoid these areas completely to protect myself after only managing to cross them a few thousand times by a variety of means over the last few years with absolutely no issue at all and feeling nothing but safe :|

It feels safer to be crossing the road than not crossing the road, :shock: as on that occasion you are looking out for traffic.
Unlike walking down the pavement minding you own business when traffic can be crossing (or in) your path from any direction. :evil:

toboggan

Postby toboggan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:36 pm

So - 20 minutes or so ago I was cut up at the roundels by a woman driver - when I displayed some displeasure she gave me a very thorough "v" sign. Nice people that we have - and they are the ones who are making the whole thing dangerous. I said to the councillors way back in the day when the public demonstrations were being held that it would need a significant attitudinal change for the scheme to work as intended - sadly that change does not seem to have filtered to some.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:41 pm

The pavements in Poynton are a hazardous place. I was ridden into from the rear by a teenager on a bicycle as I was walking down the pavement close to Waitrose and has resulted in a visit to the Doctor, I have two new hips and he thinks it is only bruising and no damage to the prosthesis. Teenagers should not be riding there bicycles on the pavement they should be riding them on the road. I have noticed that our community police take no notice of teenagers riding on the pavements, does this mean that condone the practice ?.

Oldayoder

Postby Oldayoder » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Don't get me started about cyclists on pavements.... oh alright then, I will rant.
I have been told to f... off by a woman Lycra for pointing out that she was speeding down a footpath.
I have had to dive for safety as MAMILS mount the pavement at speed without looking if it was safe.
I have been confronted by speeding cyclists from preteens to geriatrics on pavements around the village. When emerging from my drive I have to be so vigilant as Chris Froome wannabes dash along the pavement and risk going handlebars over mudguards over my bonnet.

Don't get me wrong - I really don't mind cyclists on pavements if they are cautious, careful and give priority to pedestrians. It is those who assume it is their right to use the paths as a velodrome practice that wind me up.

Finally I was amazed to see a mini parked on the pavement on London Rd South on Saturday. The driver had abandoned it right across the entrance to the church hall.Plain lazy, selfish and unacceptable.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Oldayoder wrote:Don't get me started about cyclists on pavements.... oh alright then, I will rant.

We seem to be getting rather off topic here. I've had more issues with mobility scooters than bikes.

Oldayoder wrote:Finally I was amazed to see a mini parked on the pavement on London Rd South on Saturday. The driver had abandoned it right across the entrance to the church hall.Plain lazy, selfish and unacceptable.

Although this is also off topic... We sometimes have that problem at choir rehearsals. You must be pretty unobservant (or selfish) not to realise (or care) that there's an entrance there. However as I've said before, they could easily create a couple more parking bays further south.

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 am

Oldayoder wrote:Finally I was amazed to see a mini parked on the pavement on London Rd South on Saturday. The driver had abandoned it right across the entrance to the church hall.Plain lazy, selfish and unacceptable.

Blame me in part for that.
The mini driven by an elderly driver, broke down. The drivers from the two following vehicles, both women, got out and tried to push the car out of the carriageway. I had just alighted from my chauffer driven transport (the P1) at this time so assisted them to push it. The only place available for the driver to clear the carriageway was on the pavement, all space in the bays being full of vehicles (including the white 4X4 which seems to park there all day every day).

Return to “Poynton Forum”