Poynton Runners

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Peach

Poynton Runners

Postby Peach » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:50 am

In May 2016 Poynton Runners was formed to bring together people with a mutual interest in running/walking on a regular basis from complete beginners to experienced athletes. We have an admin group of around 7 of us that between us organise regular sessions on Tuesday / Thursday (morning and evening) and Saturday mornings.

Anyone interested should search out 'Poynton Runners' on Facebook (or send me a message on here) - There will be other means of contact eventually but we are attempting to keep is as informal as possible to limit the administration.

We currently have a wide range of runners/walkers from people on the 'Couch to 5k' programme to 10k regulars to fell runners to marathon runners to Ironman triathletes - all equally welcome (but to be honest we get more out of getting people up to a 5k run than anything else). Numbers range from 30-50 in the week to a hardy 10-15 on a rainy Saturday morning. Both Children and Dogs are welcome but should remained accompanied by an owner at all times ;)

Some people come to every session, others come as and when they can. There is no lists, no sign in, just a "Hi" and a "Is everyone with someone who knows where they are going?” then off we go. We attempt to keep similar paced runners/walkers together for safety, company and encouragement. We have set evening routes for winter of 3km, 5km, 8km and 10km that follow well illuminated footpaths around the estates.

All that we ask is a positive open mind and if you have any issues or concerns don't be afraid to shout up. We can only go with the majority and we aim to keep it both fun and free!

Tuesday 7.30 pm - The Cask, Park Lane - Bright Clothing and lights if possible (3k/5k/8k/10k) -
Thursday 10.00 am - New group meeting at the Car Park on South Park Drive (3k / 5k)
Thursday 7.30 pm - The Cask, Park Lane - Bright Clothing and lights if possible (3k/5k/8k/10k)
Saturday 9.15 am - Nelsons Pit (Opposite The Boars Head, Hr. Poynton), (3k / 5k)

The Cask provide a place to keep valuables, use of the coat rack, toilets and a welcome few jugs of water at the end (beer is also available at cost). On a Saturday morning at Nelsons Pit the public toilets are usually open.

More sessions to be added as and when we find a bunch that have a mutually agreeable weekly time to meet up, ensure all are made welcome and do it with a smile (despite the conditions).

Angel36

Re: Poynton Runners

Postby Angel36 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Terrific community initiative.

LittleLordFauntleroy

Postby LittleLordFauntleroy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Well done for setting this up. I would love to get down on the weekday evening but sadly I am putting the kids to bed at that time! If there was a later outing starting 8pm and I'd be there every week! :)

Mr_Confused

Postby Mr_Confused » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Great stuff. Miss Confused and I will attend.

Peach

Postby Peach » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:16 pm

There is no registration and no cost, just an appreciation of the benefits of running (even if you are not designed for running like me! :oops: ).

All we ask is a positive attitude and a smile :D

LittleLordFauntleroy wrote:Well done for setting this up. I would love to get down on the weekday evening but sadly I am putting the kids to bed at that time! If there was a later outing starting 8pm and I'd be there every week! :)

I am sure if you are serious about making it regularly we can arrange a later start at 8.00 for whoever it might suit - my wife and I currently swap over with puppy duties and do 5k each (that is ignoring the fact that I can't keep up any more :cry: )

Initially if you give me an idea of distance and speed I can put it to various members of the group who might find 8.00 pm more suited to them. 8-)

Especially as it gets darker / colder / wetter the easy way out is to not bother - Running with a group can give the final push to get up and out of the door (the hardest part) - I don't think I have ever got back from a run feeling worse than I did before I started! :)

LittleLordFauntleroy

Postby LittleLordFauntleroy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm at about 48-50 mins 10k and 22-23 mins 5k. But happy at any pace :)

Peach

Postby Peach » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:57 am

New 'Couch to 5k' group starting Tuesday 18th April (Day after Easter Monday) - Meet at The Cask at 19.25 - Suitable footwear, visible clothing.

Following the success of the New Year Group (15 beginners now running 5k twice a week (from age 16 to mid 70's)) we are running our next C25K Group following the NHS initiative.

All welcome - (U16's to be accompanied to all sessions) - no maximum age, no minimum ability!

See Poynton Runners on Facebook to more info and updates.

Poynton Runners is a Running Community - No costs, no registration - We are just runners of all abilities looking after and encouraging each other.

xx

Stanleyfox

Postby Stanleyfox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Just completed my 1st couch to 5k. Great activity, really friendly bunch of people. Well organised. Thank you! Can't do Thursday, but see you next Tuesday. Massive thanks, really appreciate the organisers time and effort

Return to “Poynton Forum”