And talking of the Roundels...

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

zzippy

Re: And talking of the Roundels...

Postby zzippy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Clarky wrote:
nedsram wrote:...There are lots of issues and Howard Murray has previously offered to discuss these with anybody who asks at a mutually convenient time, so you can expect honest answers to any questions that are raised.

Indeed Cllr Murray has offered to meet with any individual interested. In fact I seem to recall Cllr Murray saying he takes full responsibility (though I have to say I very much doubt any single person could conceivably be responsible).
This is a PUBLIC FORUM which most if not all of the local community has access to.

For me at least, I'm not interested in vilifying the well intended actions of anyone. What I'm interested to know (and I think what should be published for the benefit of the wider community) is what the state of play is now.
For example
• were there or are there any warranties or guarantees in place by the contractor responsible for the installation?
• is there a plan to remedy the increasing degradation?
These are reasonable questions which I think deserve answers published for the benefit of the wider community. It might be the case there are plans for remedying the situation, in which case please share them.

This is a random miniscule private forum probably only ran for 'advertising revenue' similar to Facebook.
If any answers are published they should be on the OFFICIAL Poynton town council website http://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/ which is also publicly available and full of useful information (although a bit clunky to use and horrible/dodgy colours' but that is just personal opinion :| )

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:41 pm

zzippy wrote:This is a random miniscule private forum probably only ran for 'advertising revenue' similar to Facebook.

Zippy, you way off the mark there. The forum is run by a private individual who kindly agreed to host the forum entirely at his own expense when the original owner, Colin Eyre of Front Page Web Design, decided that he no longer wished to do this. There is no advertising of any kind on the forum. Indeed advertising is expressly forbidden by forum rules.

At the last count the forum had about well over 1000 members, and in addition there are innumerable "lurkers".

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm

My Apologies i was under the impression it was part of http://www.poyntonweb.co.uk/ from the link

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:02 pm

The forum URL poyntonforum.co.uk was originally set up by Colin Eyre when he "hived off" the forums from his other web sites. When ownership of the forums changed, the forums had to be ported to a new host, which was then tested extensively before being inflicted on the general public. The old URL was retained to avoid confusion (although there were initially teething problems with cookies) but now silently redirects to the new site. It's a complement to the new owner that you can't tell the difference!

vmeldrew

Postby vmeldrew » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am

Nedsram wrote:
At the last count the forum had about well over 1000 members, and in addition there are innumerable "lurkers".

So. I suppose if you take a quick peek at the forum, without logging on, that makes you a "lurker" in Nedsram's eyes.

For which assumptive demographic grouping, I must, I suppose, plead guilty as charged! I've been accused of many things in my lifetime (including on this forum), but never, by implication, a "lurker" before. And FYI, I never 'lurk" at the roundels!!!

Ho, hum.

Thanks, Neds....

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:11 am

If the cap fits... :mrgreen:

Poyntonpint

Postby Poyntonpint » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Please, it's not 'the wrong choice of materials' here.
The chinese granite blocks (which are significantly cheaper but no less practical than locally sourced) are fine for taking the heavy traffic and are substantially more aesthetically pleasing than bitmac / asphalt. Basically if the sub base is incorrect, the surface will fail whatever it is.
The problem we seem to have is that the build up beneath the highway has been specified incorrectly for the amount and type of use. I hate to say it, but this isn't going to be easily rectified as I suspect the whole thing would need to be ripped out and done again.
The patched areas look awful but its not a simple case of mortaring the blocks back in as its the base that has given way.
It's extremely disappointing that this couldn't have been done properly the first time around as the concept was fab and it looks fantastic. I would hate to watch it gradually crumble into disrepair.
The majority of Woodford road will need to be repaired because of the construction traffic soon enough (and the railway bridge it in seriously bad shape too). Perhaps the whole lot can be done in one...... :lol:

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Poyntonpint wrote:Please, it's not 'the wrong choice of materials'

IT IS!! Blocks should not be used due to the nature of construction in that they move under lateral stress, the sub base has no bearing on that only sinking under compression.

silverhead8744

Postby silverhead8744 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Perhaps we should have asked the Romans to do the job when they were passing through. Might have lasted a lot longer.
Anyway we could now be charging to see the ruins.

Poyntonpint

Postby Poyntonpint » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:15 pm

POYNTONIAN 1 wrote:
Poyntonpint wrote:Please, it's not 'the wrong choice of materials'

IT IS!! Blocks should not be used due to the nature of construction in that they move under lateral stress, the sub base has no bearing on that only sinking under compression.

Anything moves under lateral stress if its not restrained, blocks are perfectly suitable if layed correctly. I was under the impression that it was compressional failures causing the problems judging by the hollows appearing on the surface.

Return to “Poynton Forum”