Organised run?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

WigleyWoggled

Organised run?

Postby WigleyWoggled » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Does anyone know anything about what appeared to be an organised run, part of the route being along the canal at Higher Poynton.

The run took place today.

I'd be grateful of any information. Thanks.

xeromorph

Re: Organised run?

Postby xeromorph » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Stockport Trail Half-Marathon - starting and finishing in Marple.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for the reply.
I have traced the event and organiser.

Apparently I am being told this event was not notified to the people of Higher Poynton.

I have received a report of walkers and people out enjoying the narrow canal tow path of being jostled by hordes of runners. Worst my three year old grandson, while out with his Dad and their dog, was knocked to the ground by a 'hit and run' runner and nearly ended up in the canal. Reports I have received is that they were running without any due care for any other users of the narrow tow path.

http://www.crazylegsevents.co.uk/php/index.php

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:15 am

Their events list says that they are doing a 10k run around Poynton on March 26th, starting at the Civic Centre at 9.15. Don't all rush at once - it's already fully booked up.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am

WigleyWoggled wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I have received a report of walkers and people out enjoying the narrow canal tow path of being jostled by hordes of runners. Worst my three year old grandson, while out with his Dad and their dog, was knocked to the ground by a 'hit and run' runner and nearly ended up in the canal. Reports I have received is that they were running without any due care for any other users of the narrow tow path.

I witnessed your grandson being knocked to the floor and not one of the runners stopped or even looked back. I spoke to his dad to see if there was anything I could do but luckily the lad was ok. I got home covered in mud splashed up by the runners and immediately emailed the organisers and got this response.

"Sorry that you got caught up in today's race and were subject to un-social
behaviour from some of the competitors in the event.
We strive to ensure all the competitors should act responsibly and
courteously to the general public when taking part in the event, but we are
also aware that this is not always the case.
We did have some publicity displayed about the event but admit that we
neglected to include any along the canal & MWW at the Higher Poynton area.
We will certainly learn from this in the future.
Apologies once again for the distress caused."

I don't think it is acceptable for a commercial organisation to be running big events on a narrow towpath especially when they don't let anyone know what is going to happening. I wonder whether they bothered to ask East Cheshire if they could use the Middlewood Way in their area?

Cheers,

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks Tarboat and Neds.
I have also emailed the organiser as well as the police as a member of the public. For example, were the local police made aware of this event. I will also be contacting our Parish Council to see what they knew and what steps are being taken for the run on 26 March to ensure public safety.

As you say, the behaviour of some runners is far from what one would expect. There is a web site page showing the mobile phone number and name of the organiser which I think would not be allowed to show here but I will be making contacting.

You are right Tarboat, the canal tow path is not the place to hold such events. Its far too narrow to mix competitors and public.
I am please you witnessed my grandson being knocked down as its further proof of what happened. Thanks for reporting.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Apparently our CEC and The Canal and Rivers Trust make a charge for such events to take place.
In this respect I have emailed CEC Rangers and the Trust the latter asking that such events not be allowed along such narrow paths which in places are degraded and unsuitable for mixing public with aggressive runners.
I have also spoken with the organiser who as expected is very apologetic.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:17 pm

WigleyWoggled wrote:The Canal and Rivers Trust make a charge for such events to take place.
In this respect I have emailed the Trust asking that such events not be allowed along such narrow paths which in places are degraded and unsuitable for mixing public with aggressive runners.
I have also spoken with the organiser who as expected is very apologetic.

I'd love to see their 'risk assessment' for allowing it amazed there wasn't a couple of broken legs given the state of the eroding and collapsing banks in a few locations and the 'holes' in the banking by the bridge just north of Baileys trading post and probably many elsewhere :|

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:10 pm

I have done this run for the last 3 years and the organisers, Crazy Legs, always manage their events very well. They give a briefing at the start of the event, warning runners of walkers and horse riders, it's a shame that a few runners let everyone else down, and that it wasn't better signposted at the entrance to the MWW and canal, warning walkers of the event.

The 10k run has also been held for the last two years, plus another event, by different organisers, will also go along the MWW on 12th March and 27th October.

Toffee

Postby Toffee » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Runners are like cyclists!

Return to “Poynton Forum”