Organised run?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

xeromorph

Re: Organised run?

Postby xeromorph » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 am

A small proportion of runners are like a small proportion of cyclists who are like a small proportion of the general population.

Lily

Postby Lily » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Well said xeromorph!
And I'd like to add 'a small proportion of drivers'.

paul222

Postby paul222 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Toffee wrote:Runners are like cyclists!

quite right, they are all individuals with their own responsibilities for their actions. And shouldn't be pointlessly tarred with the same brush, because you had a poor experience with a single individual?

Toffee

Postby Toffee » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:15 pm

My comment was in the plural!

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:42 pm

I thought, close to the Poynton 10 K run this week end, I would bring you up to date since I last posted.

I have been in contact, had telephone discussions and meetings with the Police, Poynton Town Council, the CEC Rangers Service, The Canal and Rivers Trust and Crazy Legs Events. My initial emails sent out have been backed up with a further email once I discovered more information. To those emails I have only had ONE written response which was from the Canal and Rivers Trust.

What I discovered, and was proven to be the case, was a half marathon run starting at Marple along the Middlewood way returning along the canal at Higher Poynton by Lyme Road. The event seems proven to have been badly organised and marshalled at the Poynton end with insufficient if hardly any signage warning the public of the event.

There were over 400 runners netting Crazy Legs Events over £8000 for that one event. This weekends run will involve over 600 runners and though over a shorter distance will net Crazy Legs Events with over a further £8000.
Crazy Legs Events are a Limited Company (not a charity) and have three directors. Their events use volunteers to help organise their events and so if there is a lack of volunteers the organisation will undoubtedly suffer. Further their marshals are also volunteers and so are unlikely to have any allegiance to Crazy Legs Events Ltd other than self interest in the event and good will.
According to Poynton Town Council minutes of their December Council meeting it was reported that Crazy Legs Ltd has yet to pay the Council for last years run where they made use of the Civic Hall and extended parking facilities, staff and some publicity, a sum of £200. Those minutes expressed concern this sum had not been received and must be settled before this years run takes place. The Council agreed a sum of £250 for this years run with a £100 deposit being requested. Normally any organisation hiring the Civil Hall, even if a charity, have to pay a hire charge.

I expressed in my emails, meetings and conversations that the canal was no place to allow a run, nay a race, and especially at Higher Poynton, which is popular with local people and those from further afield, as the tow path is far too narrow and cratered with muddy puddles which splashed members of the public's clothing. Indeed, I expressed my concern forcibly in that 'THIS WAS AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN'.

The problem doesn't just rest with Crazy Legs Events, though they must accept prime responsibility, but it also rests with all local authorities and in particular the Canal and Rivers Trust along whose tow path the event took place. Responsibility also rests with the runners many of whom seem to take it upon themselves to forcibly make a path through innocent and oblivious (to this event) members of the public as they were pushed and shoved, splashed and sworn at (yes I have evidence of that too), culminating in a little boy who has not yet reached 3 years old being knocked down flat into a muddy pool of water by an adult running with arrogant determination. Even a horse rider was abused on the Middlewood Way and their horse slapped in an attempt to move it out of the way.
Lets get this straight. This was not a few runners behaving badly, it was an attitude of we've paid our £18 and won't tolerate anyone getting in our way. An attitude of Me, Me, Me, selfish and arrogant and devoid of any care for other people.

We cannot have organisations running events involving several hundred participants anywhere without having due regard for the safety of others, that of the general public. Adequate Risk Assessments undertaken to show a Duty of Care ought to be assessed by local authorities and approved or otherwise.
The marathon route was partly on Public Rights of Way paths but the canal tow path is not a Public Right of Way, it is a Permissive Path, meaning we have permission to walk along it with kind permission of its owner, the Canal and Rivers Trust. That Trust publish on their web site that users are welcome to use the tow path providing they have due care for others and give way to each other. In particular it mentions cyclist must slow down and pass pedestrians slowly. Joggers too are mentioned in the same vain but there is no mention of organised runs or races involving several hundred participants.
The runners were reported to be running two and three abreast taking up the whole path plus those overtaking.

The outcome of my investigations has resulted in Borough Councillor Jos Saunders, who represents the Higher Poynton area, confirming to me by telephone that Crazy Legs Events Ltd will no longer be using the canal tow path for any of its future events. I have received nothing in writing to that effect despite asking for it.
The Canal and Rivers Trust in their email confirmed to me that after discussions with Crazy Legs Events Ltd future runs will limit runners to running single file except when overtaking. I wonder if the runners will take heed? I doubt it.
The Canal and Rivers Trust have now recently erected a sign I believe at Higher Poynton advising of their conditions of use of their tow path. You might like to look out for it.

Why is it that the Canal and Rivers Trust agreement with Crazy Legs Events differ from what I've been told by Jos Saunders? is Crazy Legs Events already backing away from their agreement with our Council representative?

Have Crazy Legs Events yet settled their outstanding Town Council bill for last year? Have they paid their deposit for this year and how soon will they settle the bill for this years Poynton run ... a year?

I hear that there are many many signs advising of this Sundays run, but beware, Crazy Legs Events are not employing the police to control traffic along London Road North or along the narrow and winding sections of Coppice Road. Control will be totally in the hands of untrained marshal volunteers who have no authority whatsoever.

Events of this nature can be successful if the participants are kept separate from the public. If not disaster is just around the corner where in the future an innocent person could be badly injured involving litigation and court action. Those deemed culpable will be the organisers and those whose land the event took place on along with any local authority that knew the event was taking place and did nothing to ensure the public's safety.

Hopefully, this years Poynton 10 K event will be a success but its success and credibility rests with organisers and participant runners alike.

The Canal and Rivers Trust said they'd never had an accident like this before ...... well they have now!!!

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Bravo. D

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 pm

WigleyWoggled wrote:This was not a few runners behaving badly, it was an attitude of we've paid our £18 and won't tolerate anyone getting in our way. An attitude of Me, Me, Me, selfish and arrogant and devoid of any care for other people.

What rubbish you come up with.

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 pm

EGCD wrote:
WigleyWoggled wrote:This was not a few runners behaving badly, it was an attitude of we've paid our £18 and won't tolerate anyone getting in our way. An attitude of Me, Me, Me, selfish and arrogant and devoid of any care for other people.

And you were there of course! Or had witness reports and done your research. Hmmmm!
There will undoubtedly be considerate runners, well at least I live in hope if some out of over 400 taking part. That doesn't alter the fact that a significant number of runners ran past, didn't look back, didn't stop to offer help or enquire if the child was OK. How else would you explain that behaviour?!! Exactly, there is no other way.

Perhaps you were the runner who knocked him over!

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 am

EGCD wrote:

I was there and WigleyWoggled states the truth about what happened. The event was just a mass of runners who were determined to go as fast as possible and to hell with anyone or anything that got in their way.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 am

I have to make one correction to what WW stated in his detailed analysis. The canal towpath in Poynton is a public right of way and not just a permissive route. Not all towpaths are rights of way but the Macclesfield Canal is throughout.

Return to “Poynton Forum”