Organised run?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

EGCD

Re: Organised run?

Postby EGCD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am

Another great Poynton 10K event organised today by Crazy Legs, with the normal good safety briefing in the pre-race pack and also a briefing by the organiser to all runners immediately before the event.

You can't account for an individual's actions during the event, in the same way that you can't account for a pedestrians actions, for example like somone who would want to stick their umbrella into a cyclist as they passed, WW?

tarboat

Re: Organised run?

Postby tarboat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 pm

After pressing the Canal and River Trust regarding their views on running a half marathon on the towpath I finally received this answer today.

I have spoken with the event organiser about the incident. As part of this discussion we have agreed
that for any future events proposed by Crazy Legs on Canal & River Trust land that the following
will need to be considered in greater detail as part of the overall risk assessment/event planning.

• Advance notices (ideally 10 days) to be erected along the towpath section and at key
access/egress points advising regular towpath users that the event is taking place. •
Notices to be erected on the day (see above) • All participants to receive a safety briefing
(on the day and in advance) which specifically refers to the towpath section and includes the
following: - Single file running only (on either the left/right hand side of the towpath)
unless overtaking - Participants briefed on courtesy/priority towards other towpath users •
Additional stewards to be positioned along the towpath section at key access/egress points to
monitor the behaviour of runners and also advise members of the public that the event is taking
place

I think it is important to note that hundreds of events take place on the canal and towpath across
the country and an incident of this nature is extremely rare.

Once again I would like to apologise for what happened on behalf of Canal & River Trust and I hope
going forward that you and your family will be able to continue to enjoy the canal.

Kind Regards
Liam Cooper
Customer Support Co-ordinator
Canal & River Trust
Manchester, Pennine & Potteries Waterway
T: 01782 779903 (4203) M: 07827283974
Canal & River Trust, Red Bull Wharf, Congleton Road South,Church Lawton, Stoke-on-Trent, ST7 3AP

Return to “Poynton Forum”