Natwest Bank

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

John Boy
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:55 am

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby John Boy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:10 pm

rafiki6 wrote:Gravel pit.
R


Rafiki - thanks for the response. Does it feature in any of the local history publications?
I must get up to the Anson museum again & study the diorama.

Stroppyfemale
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby Stroppyfemale » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:51 pm

vmeldrew wrote:I'm still trying to work out an easy way to pay cash into a non-existent bank...



If this is a serious question, I'm never quite sure with you ;) You can pay into some banks at the Post Office in Poynton. I do it regularly. :D

Rostervor
Posts: 1143
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby Rostervor » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm

Stroppyfemale wrote:
vmeldrew wrote:I'm still trying to work out an easy way to pay cash into a non-existent bank...

If this is a serious question, I'm never quite sure with you ;) You can pay into some banks at the Post Office in Poynton. I do it regularly. :D

Can the Post Office access your account/s ?
Can the Post Office make up your Savings Book ?
Can the Post Office exchange/take in/give out large amounts of cash ?

Hence some the reasons for having to visit your Bank/s of which Poynton is lacking and RBS have announced the closure of a large number of their banks in the near future.

rafiki6
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:26 pm

John Boy wrote:
rafiki6 wrote:Gravel pit.
R


Rafiki - thanks for the response. Does it feature in any of the local history publications?
I must get up to the Anson museum again & study the diorama.

I don't know of any publications but I was told about it and enthralling stories in my childhood of cockfighting there. Later I saw photographs of the Hallworth's (now Mates) garage, and the most recent (years ago actually) when the steel RSJ's forming the base of the now art gallery shop were exposed and supporting cased piles driven in because of errosion of some RSJ's caused by the acidity of the cinders from when the gravel pit was used as an ash pit.
R

vmeldrew
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:23 am

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby vmeldrew » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:35 pm

If this is a serious question, I'm never quite sure with you ;) You can pay into some banks at the Post Office in Poynton. I do it regularly. :D


It says you can't put cash into the envelopes that you get at the Post Office. Cheques only according to NatWest. To be quite honest, I never asked at the counter if there was any way I can pay cash in.

SK121NZ
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:30 am

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby SK121NZ » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Rostervor wrote:Can the Post Office access your account/s ?
Can the Post Office make up your Savings Book ?
Can the Post Office exchange/take in/give out large amounts of cash ?


..... I agree with Rostervor on all the above points, and would take issue further the fact that in Poynton we are no longer dealing with a Crown Post Office, which would have given it SOME credibility; but in fact this is only a PO franchise within a branch of WH SMITH.

10 years ago I would never have dreamt of discussing my bank transactions with someone in WH Smith !! ..... where is the procedure / chain of command, should something go wrong with any transaction ? (Financial Services Authority [FSA] cover)

No, it is typical of a lot of decisions made in the name of cost/profit nowadays .... you'll regret / miss it when it's gone; and only then, too late, realise what you had. Everything from buses, trains, letters & stamps etc. ….. and I understand that the cheque facility is the next thing to be withdrawn by those banks !

USE IT, OR LOSE IT !! :shock:

Stroppyfemale
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby Stroppyfemale » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Rostervor wrote:
Stroppyfemale wrote:
vmeldrew wrote:I'm still trying to work out an easy way to pay cash into a non-existent bank...

If this is a serious question, I'm never quite sure with you ;) You can pay into some banks at the Post Office in Poynton. I do it regularly. :D

Can the Post Office access your account/s ?
Can the Post Office make up your Savings Book ?
Can the Post Office exchange/take in/give out large amounts of cash ?

Hence some the reasons for having to visit your Bank/s of which Poynton is lacking and RBS have announced the closure of a large number of their banks in the near future.

I agree with you about the need for at least one bank in Poynton, but I was informing "vmelldrew" how one can go about paying in cash to one's bank. It is very inconvenient not being able to access all these other problems. I have to use online banking now to access my own bank account when my own bank closed it's branch in Poynton some time ago.
I'm afraid it is a sign of the times that peoples' habits have changed in how they access their bank, so the banks use this as a reason/excuse to close branches.

nowthensithe
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby nowthensithe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Banks are simply there to make a profit. Not to service customers. Those days are gone.

If there is insufficient footfall measured by the bean counters they close.

zzippy
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:27 pm
Location: The rough end of Poynton

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby zzippy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 am

nowthensithe wrote:Banks are simply there to make a profit. Not to service customers. Those days are gone.

If there is insufficient footfall measured by the bean counters they close.

Lloyds Bank to shrink hundreds of branches in size - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39457961

SK121NZ wrote: No, it is typical of a lot of decisions made in the name of cost/profit nowadays .... you'll regret / miss it when it's gone; and only then, too late, realise what you had. Everything from buses, trains, letters & stamps etc. ….. and I understand that the cheque facility is the next thing to be withdrawn by those banks !

USE IT, OR LOSE IT !! :shock:

As a slight aside maybe if the many pubs that have closed down that people "wine & worry" about weren't so backwards in some of the ways they operated they would still be open ? It's amazing how many people seem to object to a "village" pub closing down or having a change of use application yet they are usually the very ones who haven't supported it sufficiently and only 'care' when it's going.

AnotherWhingerLike_U
Posts: 1152
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Natwest Bank

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:31 am

zzippy wrote:.. if the many pubs that have closed down that people "wine & worry" about weren't so backwards in some of the ways they operated they would still be open ? It's amazing how many people seem to object to a "village" pub closing down or having a change of use application yet they are usually the very ones who haven't supported it sufficiently and only 'care' when it's going.

Why should a badly run “out of date” pub survive? If a village pub is struggling because its owned by a stranglehold brewery selling a limited range or a big chain selling mass produced rubbish.
For profit (and probably spite :roll: ), they would rather it changed use than get in the hands of a competitor.

Some moves to help pubs survive. http://www.camra.org.uk/news/-/asset_publisher/1dUgQCmQMoVC/content/peers-vote-to-protect-pubs
If they can’t move with the times and do a decent job: Let someone else have a go.


Return to “Poynton Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 9 guests