Poynton Bus Changes 1st April - Selwyns 391 / 392 Timetable now available

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

turdo170

Re: Chheshire Bus Cuts - The Latest (Poynton)

Postby turdo170 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 pm

AndrewJ wrote:
turdo170 wrote:
It isn't yet 100% certain it won't happen, they are currently looking to split the Stoke/ Macclesfield-Blackpool services at Oxford Road or Deansgate. Deansgate would work as there is a reversal siding across from Manchester United football ground which is currently used once a day Monday-Friday by the 1710 Deansgate - Stoke.

The extra services always used to terminate at Deansgate until 8 or 9 years ago, until they were cut back (only that 1710 remaining!), so I guess it is just a matter of reinstating the same services, unless the paths have since been taken by other services. However they may as well wait and get it right.

I think eventually all services will be electric, but I wouldn't have thought that they'd have enough trains at the moment to be able to do that - the new timetable requires more trains for longer journeys! May be wrong though, it is surprising what a short extra bit of line can do to improve service options.

The hourly Macclesfield - Deansgate service was in operation until the December 2008 timetable change when the Virgin High Frequency service was introduced.

Northern have most of the additional diesel trains they need with more currently on the way from Scotrail and have 16 unallocated Class 319 electric trains available for a full May timetable, so with some work they can balance it out and still implement many of the proposals by uterlising the Eccles / Wigan route and using the class 158s from Scotrail to allow Manchester Airport - Barrow / Windermere to be 158 operated.

It just means that the existing diesel trains on the Bolton corridor won't be available to work elsewhere.

The paths to Oxford Road / Deansgate will be as per the May 2018 timetable Stoke / Macclesfield - Blackpool services, if the temporary Oxford Road / Deansgate split is approved.

There are a lot of issues with conflicts at Slade Lane which mean that many services sit at Stockport for 5 minutes or have a lot of time to complete the journeys - for instance the xx44 from Manchester - Stoke will have 12 minutes vice the usual 7/8 with lots of pathing allowance built in.

The journey times won't be the fastest.

All our services to Blackpool are pathed for electric trains once the wires are live via Bolton.

nowthensithe

Re: Poynton Bus Changes 1st April - 391 / 392 Timetable now available

Postby nowthensithe » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong - as I see it the P1 is no more.

Those residents of Coppice Road, if they wish to travel into Poynton, will have to walk to the Hockley stop and alight and walk up Coppice Road on any return journey.

I do hope I am wrong.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm

As I understand it, the bus from Macclesfield goes via Waterloo Road, Coppice Road, Shrigley Road North, Green Lane, Middlewood Road and Park Lane. So people on Coppice Road will have to catch the bus in the "wrong" direction. (To prepare for this, one of the P1 timetables is on the wrong side of the road. :) )

The reason for the convoluted route is that they have attempted to combine the 392 and P1 routes. The route follows the P1 route via Chester Road to Hazel Grove, so there will be no service on London Road North.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm

nedsram wrote:As I understand it, the bus from Macclesfield goes via Waterloo Road, Coppice Road, Shrigley Road North, Green Lane, Middlewood Road and Park Lane. So people on Coppice Road will have to catch the bus in the "wrong" direction. (To prepare for this, one of the P1 timetables is on the wrong side of the road. :) )

The reason for the convoluted route is that they have attempted to combine the 392 and P1 routes. The route follows the P1 route via Chester Road to Hazel Grove, so there will be no service on London Road North.

Sounds about right!

The first and last 391/392 Middlewood buses of the day will run "right way" and serve the whole of Coppice Road.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 pm

My own personal interpretation of the link provided by turdo 170 is as shown by the attached picture :

CEC_391_392_2018.JPG

I have used the order of bus stops quoted in the linked pdf document
[given by turdo 170 here :

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3539&start=60#p37677 ]

to show my version of the intended Poynton stretch of routes of the 391 and 392 buses. If anybody interprets the above information differently, please let me know and I will correct mine if necessary.

I would also add the following observations:
(i) The contract has been won by 'Selwyn Coaches', rather than 'HighPeak Buses' .... so expect 'New Driver' learning curve :?

(ii) If you live on Coppice Rd and wish to get a bus into Poynton, then you need to choose the 391 / 392 going to Stockport.
Conversely, if you are in Poynton and wish to get a bus 'home' to Coppice Rd, then you need to choose a 391 / 392 going to Macclesfield.

(iii) The route from Macclesfield to Stockport is identical to the route from Stockport to Macclesfield over our Poynton area (see my map), only it is reversed for each case.
The main difference between the 391 and 392 routes in practice is whether it goes through Kerridge or not :

391 Macclesfield - Kerridge - Bollington - Poynton - Hazel Grove - Stockport
392 Macclesfield - Bollington - Poynton - Hazel Grove - Stockport
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... please, log yourself in to see any of my pictures ...

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks SK12 1NZ. One picture is worth a thousand words.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:43 pm

That's correct although the first and last journey to and from Macclesfield miss out the Vernon Estate and the 0648 Middlewood - Stockport and 1820 Stockport - Middlewood go up/down Coppice Road instead of Middlewood Road.

SK121NZ

Re: Poynton Bus Changes 1st April - Selwyns 391 / 392 Timetable now available

Postby SK121NZ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:24 pm

A map of the new bus route in Poynton has been published by Cheshire East Council.

PoyntonBusMap_2018.jpg

In Poynton, the P1 service is being merged with the 392. The new route, known as the 391 and 392, will follow the majority of the current 392 route from Macclesfield, before going via Middlewood, Park Lane, Clumber Road, Dickens Lane, Vernon Road, Copperfield Road, Dickens Lane and London Rd Sth.

The route will then continue along the current P1 route, via Chester Road and Woodford Road to serve Poynton railway station and the Bird Estate, before going to Hazel Grove railway station and on to Stockport.

The changes take effect from Sunday 1 April, though due to the Easter holiday period the services will operate from Tuesday 3 April.

As well as changes to the subsidised bus services consulted on last summer, operators have also made changes to some of the commercially-operated bus routes across the borough.

The full list of all changes and new timetables can be viewed at:

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/bustimetables

and maps can be found at:

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/busmaps

As a personal observation, I feel that Cheshire East / Poynton Town Councils have missed a golden opportunity to save both wear and tear plus maintenance costs to our Shared Space granite blocks at Fountain Place by NOT using Clifford Road INSTEAD OF Chester Rd / London Rd Sth to get to Dickens Lane, and onwards when coming from Stockport, and also in reverse.

When I first came to Poynton 47 years ago and started work at Aerospace Woodford, I could get a NorthWestern number 190 bus to Woodford via Clifford Rd. When Stockport Council stopped that service, the residents of Clifford Rd petitioned to get speed bumps etc to stop ALL hgv's from using that road.

That decision meant that Clifford Rd was never considered as part of the proposed new 392 route; however there is a precedent for it being considered as a bus route, and all those hgv's SHOULD be using the Relief Road by then !! ..... PLUS it would also serve more houses on the Queensway estate :)

As a consequence every 391 / 392 journey (in BOTH directions), will make a 90 degree turn at Fountain Place, causing undue wear and tear on those expensive granite blocks, even after we get our new Relief Road ! .... think of the future repairs that will inevitably happen !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm

SK121NZ wrote:.

That decision meant that Clifford Rd was never considered as part of the proposed new 392 route; however there is a precedent for it being considered as a bus route, and all those hgv's SHOULD be using the Relief Road by then !! ..... PLUS it would also serve more houses on the Queensway estate :)

As a consequence every 391 / 392 journey (in BOTH directions), will make a 90 degree turn at Fountain Place, causing undue wear and tear on those expensive granite blocks, even after we get our new Relief Road ! .... think of the future repairs that will inevitably happen !!!

...... like this :-

Clifford_Rd_01.jpg

.... thus avoiding Shared Space altogether 8-)

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am

Using https://bustimes.org/services/391-maccl ... -stockport, you can access the timings at each stop by ticking the box for Show all stops.
Some of them are out of sequence though.
The 392 service can also be accessed from this page

And as for using Clifford Road instead of Fountain Place thus cutting out the stops the shoppers use "*****Expletive deleted*******"

Return to “Poynton Forum”