Cheshire Bus Cuts - The Latest (Poynton)

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

turdo170

Cheshire Bus Cuts - The Latest (Poynton)

Postby turdo170 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:14 pm

So Cheshire East Council have published their first report on proposals to rationalise the existing supported bus network in Cheshire from 1st April 2018.

The full report is here http://moderngov.cheshireeast.gov.uk/ecminutes/documents/b13350/Supported%20Bus%20Service%20Review-%20Reports%20marked%20to%20follow%2004th-May-2017%2014.00%20Environment%20and%20Regener.pdf?T=9

To summarise the preferred option is to rationalise the existing network to maintain a selection of fixed route bus services which cover as much of the populated areas of East Cheshire as possible, which don't have access to commercial services, complimenting commercial operators services and to withdraw all Evening and Sunday subsidised services in the borough to maintain this level of service.

This would mean that the P1 would be axed along with the current 392/393 which would be replaced with a bi-hourly 391 / 392 service over the following route:

Hazel Grove Park and Ride - Macclesfield
via Dickens Lane, Copperfield Road, Vernon Road, Dickens Lane, Clumber Road, Park Lane, Hockley, Middlewood Green Lane, Shrighley Road North, Coppice Road, Waterloo Road, Dickens Lane,Wood Lane, Potts Shrighley, Bollington and Tytherington.

One bus every two hours would serve Kerridge and Badger Road whilst the other would serve South West Avenue and Dorchester Way.

Buses would run in each direction from 0715 (0815 Saturday) until 1715.

A public consultation will be running shortly.
Last edited by turdo170 on Wed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rostervor

Re: Cheshire Bus Cuts - The Latest

Postby Rostervor » Tue May 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Here we go again.
West side of Poynton ignored.
I, together with many of my neighbours have used the P1 service since day one. It proves to be a valuable form of transport for many on the West side of the village but NO we'll keep the East side happy.
What would be wrong with routing the new service via Chester Road/Woodford Road/Dean Lane to/from the Park and Ride thus allowing the existing passengers to continue using a service they have come to rely on.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Well it looks like they are thinking of trying to go back to the days of a two bus operation on the 392 with minimal layover at each end.

I look forward to us all making all our comments about these proposals in the same way people did when Derbyshire County Council tried to end all funding for subsidised buses.

There is a few lines of text which seem to admit that they could still run the existing network with the money they have available but are choosing an austerity axe instead, presumably so they can react if any commercial services become unsustainable.

I think this is a worst case scenario and we all need to vote with our feet like last time.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 pm

If they really must axe the P1, Rostervor's suggestion would seem sensible, as it retains some sort of service along Chester Road and Woodford Road.

I never could see the point in the 392 going through to Stockport bus station, given that there is a frequent 192 service duplicating the route from the park and ride. They could consider using the money saved by not going all the way to Stockport to continue funding for the P1. That would keep everybody happy.

Turdo170, can you post a link or email address for us to provide feedback and comments on this issue please?

bandib

Postby bandib » Wed May 03, 2017 9:43 am

The point of having the service going through to places like Stockport is to provide an actual destination.

It is OK if you are a pass holder with free travel, but anyone who pays fares will almost certainly not be travelling to the park and ride site so will be faced with paying two fares which will no doubt be way more expensive and be a deterrent to using public transport.

One day we may have an integrated public transport system in this country but not in the near future.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed May 03, 2017 11:10 am

bandib wrote:It is OK if you are a pass holder with free travel, but anyone who pays fares will almost certainly not be travelling to the park and ride site so will be faced with paying two fares which will no doubt be way more expensive and be a deterrent to using public transport.

A fair point, but it is pass holders who rely on the P1 and 392 who will be most disadvantaged by the proposed changes. The whole point in subsidising these services is to provide accessible transport for people who would otherwise in many cases be isolated.

Note that this is the council that sees no issue with wasting money in unnecessarily refurbishing the toilets at Nelson Pit, and seems hell bent on introducing a car park charging scheme there that is unanimously opposed by local councillors, and is almost certain to make a loss if sufficient parking wardens are provided to enforce the charges.

turdo170

Re: Cheshire Bus Cuts - The Latest (Poynton)

Postby turdo170 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:00 pm

As soon as the consultation opens I will post a link but the meeting isn't til tomorrow to approve the public consultation

poyntonsoulman

Postby poyntonsoulman » Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Well there we have it good bye to the P 1 which will isolate those along that route who have no access to private transport,car ,taxi or bike
Depending on funds give it another few years and the new modified 392 service will disappear
The powers that be couldn't give an ff especially as ther are no votes at risk as usual Poynton being on the edge of the known world(Cheshire East) will be treated as a usesless appendix.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 pm

For those who haven't read the report, this is the rationale behind axeing the P1 (my italics):

Route mostly retained as part of route F with timetable and route changes

So Poynton Church to Hazel Grove is a "minority of the route" then. Not according to my calculations. (Hazel Grove - Poynton Church 5.7 km, Poynton Church - Green Lane 4.6 km.)

Route F is the revised version of the 392 route, which follows the P1 route from Poynton Church to Hockley, but adding the Vernon Road estate, then Middlewood Road, Green Lane, Shrigley Road North, Coppice Road to Waterloo Road, then south to Wood Lanes / Four Lane Ends and onward to Macclesfield. Or at least I think that is what they mean. This is what they actually say. Try plotting that on a map. :roll:

Macclesfield Bus Station, Mill Street, Mill Lane, Silk Road, Beech Lane, Manchester Road, Badger Road, Brocklehurst Way, Silk Road,
Bollington Road, Clark Lane, Oak Road, Kerridge Bulls Head, Jacksons Lane, Grimshaw Lane, Wellington Road, Palmerston Street, Shrigley Road, Brookledge Lane, Wood Lane South, Wood Lane West, Moggie Lane, Dickens Lane, Waterloo Road, Coppice Road, Shrigley Road North,Green Lane
Spring Bank Lane, Roundy Lane, Pedley Hill,,Middlewood Road, Park Lane, Bulkeley Road, Clumber Road, Dickens Lane, Vernon Road, Copperfield Road, Dickens Lane

Has a decision been made yet? I thought that there was going to be a consultation phase, where the long suffering residents west of Poynton Church (which includes me) would have the opportunity to tell them what we think of this proposal?
Last edited by nedsram on Sat May 06, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 am

nedsram wrote: Route F is the revised version of the 392 route, which follows the P1 route from Poynton Church to Hockley, but adding the Vernon Road estate, then Middlewood Road, Green Lane, Shrigley Road North, Coppice Road to Waterloo Road, then south to Wood Lanes / Four Lane Ends and onward to Macclesfield. Or at least I think that is what they mean. This is what they actually say. Try plotting that on a map. :roll:

Hi Neds

You know I love a challenge !!

BEFORE the cuts:-

AFTER the cuts:-

The above is my personal interpretation of the changes represented by Route 'F' - The red dotted parts are the AXED parts, and the new Route F is shown in Burgundy. It is not clear from the write up whether the new 391 or new 392 will go through Bollington ?? ... and which along the A523 ???
….. Do you happen to know if there is in fact an official pictorial representation available ?
I have noticed that whereas a 'picture' paints a thousand words; politicians always choose the verbal diarrhoea path -
presumably to kill off all opposition to their proposal
- no one has time to read their report to the END !!

[Edit] .... the above map representation is INCORRECT .... see later post for an updated reresentation .... as 'proof read' by Poynton Forum members - thank you all.
Last edited by SK121NZ on Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Poynton Forum”