Poynton park

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

pennypack

Poynton park

Postby pennypack » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

What are the rules about dogs in poynton park,I visited the park at weekend and noticed small children frightened of unleashed dogs . Should dogs be banned from certain areas of the park??

SK121RD

Re: Poynton park

Postby SK121RD » Fri May 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Oh yes, lets ban them...

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Not sure how to reply to ur post apart from asking a) were they your children b) were they dangerous dogs(on the register) c) were any of the children hurt/knocked over d) did you report this to authorities? Let's get this in perspective after wots gone on this week it's a public area that we all enjoy wot ever we do. Banning dogs Y? because they are running & enjoying the park like we humans do?
ps I'm not a dog owner(or Councillor :clap )

LOVE MANCHESTER

Oldayoder

Postby Oldayoder » Sat May 27, 2017 8:18 am

It's a fair question. Not everyone loves dogs and not everyone appreciates being run towards by your precious little hound.
It's not easy to tell the difference between rover coming over to say hello and him coming over to check you out as a rival. I personally don't like dogs much at all and would not be impressed if anyone let theirs run and jump at me
in a public area, no matter how placid and safe they are. But I know people who would have a full on panic attack. It's really just awareness of others and realisation that we aren't all the same that helps us get along. I would welcome dog free areas so I could walk head up instead of looking for deposits, but it's not going to win me many friends here!
I thought dogs had to be on a lead at lambing time at the least.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat May 27, 2017 8:54 am

My understanding is that dogs mus be on a lead at all times if there are sheep around. Farmers can legally shoot dogs that worry sheep - even if they're only "having a friendly sniff". The sheep don't know that and are easily panicked.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sat May 27, 2017 9:52 am

nedsram wrote:My understanding is that dogs mus be on a lead at all times if there are sheep around. Farmers can legally shoot dogs that worry sheep - even if they're only "having a friendly sniff". The sheep don't know that and are easily panicked.

I think the reality is actually that dogs must be kept under close control which technically does not mean on a lead. I would still recommend keeping dogs on leads around stock unless you are really sure of your animal. Having said that you should also be wary of keeping a dog on a lead near cattle as a number of people have been badly injured/killed by cattle when they hung on to the dog rather than let it run to escape.

AndyPotter

Postby AndyPotter » Sun May 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I think the reality is that dog owners should take responsibility for their animals. Just like parents should take responsibility for their kids !!
If I think that my dog is going to cause any remote problem (not that she does) I deal with it proactively whether that be another dog, human or livestock. I Wish people would have the same attitude the other way round.
People need to take ownership !!

knighs

Postby knighs » Mon May 29, 2017 8:33 am

Spot on Andy... this for me is a basic principle of owning animals or having children.

The number of times I've heard 'don't worry he / she's a good dog'... sorry it's hard to tell the good from bad visually... and who knows what can spook a dog and make it react badly.

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 am

The fields to the rear of Coppice Road have lambs and sheep grazing. You would be surprised how many of the dog walkers allow their beloved pet to run without a lead and more especially to throw a damn ball. Crazy

ArmandFranc

Postby ArmandFranc » Wed May 31, 2017 3:39 pm

SK121RD wrote:Oh yes, lets try reading the sizegenetics review with them...

Or just keep them on a lead.
Last edited by ArmandFranc on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Poynton Forum”