Garage Development on London Road North

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Freewheeler

Re: Reminder: Garage Development on London Road North

Postby Freewheeler » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Desmo Man wrote:The person(s) who bought that patch paid a awful lot of money for it, I presume that when you are about to spend a lot of money on what was Cheshire East land you would ask the planning department the question, "what can I build there ? "

You would think so wouldn't you? I don't think I'd buy a plot of land to build on without being fairly sure what the local planning would let me do with it. Looking at the new owner's planning application document (http://doc.cheshireeast.gov.uk/Northgat ... 925851.pdf) online shows this:

Has assistance or prior advice been sought from the local authority about this application? - No

I'm left wondering what the council planning dept would have told (or did tell) prospective purchasers about future uses for the land before the sale, particularly as the council was the seller. There's definitely a conflict of interests within the council and it's a great shame that no restrictive covenants were placed on the land during the sale to safeguard it. Better yet, ownership could have been retained by the council and the land leased to a suitable tenant. That way there would at least have been some control over what was built there and the local people would have a say through our democratically-elected councillors.

There's a danger now that the new and any subsequent owners will make multiple applications and appeal them. The council may then face paying large sums in litigation to fight these applications and see their windfall of cash from the sale dwindle to nothing.

The café and toilets get my vote! If it's any consolation, DesmoMan, if there is ever an application for a Ducati dealership on a site backing onto the old airfield at Woodford with access to the runway to be used as a nice long test track I would support it all the way ;)

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Toilets & cafe get your vote :clap
Buy it & build them :clap

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Planning Refused

Freewheeler

Re: Garage Development on London Road North

Postby Freewheeler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:58 pm

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Old News!!!! :D

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 pm

Duplicate threads merged.

Freewheeler

Postby Freewheeler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am

Latest news on this is that the owner of the site, who had their planning application for a garage development refused last year, has appealed to the Secretary of State to try to get the ruling overturned. Cheshire East sent me a letter about it last week so other objectors should also have received it.

As far as I can make out all those who have commented/objected previously to the development will have those comments forwarded to the planning inspector for the hearing but if anybody else wants to object then please feel free to put further objections in.

Here's the link for the appeal on the Cheshire East site...

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/app ... rt=&from=m

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:29 pm

And no doubt the people who agree with this development can also write to the secretary of state with their support ?

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:13 am

Desmo Man wrote:And no doubt the people who agree with this development can also write to the secretary of state with their support ?

And no doubt you already knew that. :roll:

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Well he's tenacious, you've got to give him that. Good quality for an entrepreneur. :)

I'm not quite sure what the point is of another car place in Poynton - the whole industry of independent car servicing can't have that long left really - 20/30 years at most maybe? By then most cars will be electric or hybrid and won't really have much to go wrong. They'll have such long warranties that you'll always be taking them back to the main dealers. Most brand new 'alternative' fuel cars are already like that with 8 year warranties fairly standard already in places less primitive than the UK and lifetime warranties for some parts. Automation and the fact that leasing is increasingly the preferred way to 'own' a car would also reduce the market.

But I can't really see a problem with redeveloping what is after all a brownfield site in continuous use since Poynton was a place. Be nice if they could make it look prettier than the current designs though.

Return to “Poynton Forum”