Garage Development on London Road North

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Sir Galahad

Garage Development on London Road North

Postby Sir Galahad » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Has anyone seen this proposed development?

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/app ... r=17/3429M

It is for a new commercial repairs garage on the old council owned site on London Road North near Glastonbury and Vicarge (the one where they stored the shared space stuff). Seems like a completely innapproriate proposal from several aspects including traffic safety with vehicles entering/leaving the site, impact to local wildlife and totally out of keeping with the surroundings of Poynton Pool. Closing date for comments (objections!) is 9th Aug.

There are many objections in there already but I'm sure a few more wouldn't hurt to try and stop what would be a complete eyesore of a development.

yewtreeman

Re: Garage Development on London Road North

Postby yewtreeman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

One submission shown is by the Deputy Town Clerk and follows upon a meeting of the PTC planning and environment committee on the 27th July. In my view it does not rate much as an objection. I am sure that people close to the intended commercial development might find the members of that committee who are their local area councillors listed on the PTC website if they wish to make their further points directly!!

Sir Galahad

Postby Sir Galahad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 am

I have to say I am very disappointed with Poynton Town Council that they find "no objections in principle" to this development. This will be a blot on the landscape that is Poynton Pool (something I presume the council are proud to have in our town) and the look and feel of this area should be preserved.
I find it hard to believe that the council are happy that folks using the pool for leisure activities such as walking, cycling, fishing, feeding ducks and generally enjoying the place should have it disturbed by a visually horrible concrete/metal construction full of all the noises and smells that will emanate from a fully working repair garage.

Aglmcfc

Postby Aglmcfc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 am

Will everybody please note that tomorrow, 9th August is the last day to register your objection to this proposal. If you have registered your objection, are your neighbours also aware?

Freewheeler

Postby Freewheeler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Done my objection. Let's get a few more in!

When the site was put up for sale I remember thinking how good it would have been if a rich Poynton resident could have bought it and built a low-key nicely-designed cafe on the site overlooking the pool. There could have been public toilets, a few disabled parking spaces and (if the Council played ball) a graceful arched bridge connecting the two sides of the pool at its narrowest point. It would have been a hell of an improvement over a garage!

John Boy

Postby John Boy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Looking on the link tonight, in the important dates field at the bottom of the page, it now lists the last date for comments as 04/09/17, with a decision date of 05/09/17. Above it the 'Status' reads DECISION MADE & the line below 'Decision / Date Decision Made' reads Withdrawn / 09/08/17.
All looks a little odd that the applicant & their agent are from the Midlands. Were they ever after a garage at all & what will the next application be about?
Incidentally, does anyone out there know how much the plot was sold for?
Here is the link again:

http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/app ... r=17/3429M

And this link should lead to the withdrawal response:

http://doc.cheshireeast.gov.uk/Northgat ... 912115.pdf

Freewheeler

Postby Freewheeler » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 pm

I remember looking at the advert for it online and I think it had a guide price of 150K. Just done a google search and it seems to have sold for 242K
https://auctioneertemplates.eigroup.co. ... =346&c=fah

Whoever has bought it didn't get it cheap and will want to get his money back somehow!

Sir Galahad

Postby Sir Galahad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:54 am

It certainly appears that they have now withdrawn their application. Wonder if this was due to the number and type of compaints or if they even had any idea what type of area they had bought their plot in. Will wait with baited breath to see what they propose to do with it next
CEC have certainly done alright though if they have made £242K on an unusbale plot of land!

Poynton

Postby Poynton » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:45 pm

It may be the case that they are intending to put in a new application that will try to address the traffic , wildlife and other concerns. A similar thing has happened with the site at London Road where a fresh application for a change of use to vetinary practice has been submitted , with the second application addressing the noise and parking concerns . A lot of which had been submitted by the contacts and family of a local competitor who also practice surgery next door to residential houses and restaurants.

If the owners paid 242,000 for the site then I assume there will either be a fresh application or they will try to offload it at another auction.

carlsh

Postby carlsh » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Return to “Poynton Forum”