120 new homes adjacent to the Bird Estate, access via 199 Chester Rd

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

AndrewJ

Re: 120 new homes adjacent to the Bird Estate, access via 199 Chester Rd

Postby AndrewJ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

I don't think that section 106 generates that much money actually. I can't find anywhere online that lists them, but from memory I think that the Aldi development, which obviously had quite a large impact, only gave enough to fund the improvements to Barnaby playground. The 1 listing I did find was from 2010 (no developer given, but possibly Waitrose?) which was about £65k, again for parks improvement - may have been the "Safe Routes to School" work near Vernon Road.

If the owner of the greenbelt land around Lower Park Road was seriously prepared to offer the council £20k per house to convert it into housing land it shows how much profit is being made from housing, and how much the council could demand (were it allowed). And that was several years ago, before the current price boom. You would hope that the offer wasn't taken into account when deciding which land to build on though, I am surprised the developer was allowed to be that blatant about it actually, such decisions should be about need and suitability, not how much someone is prepared to offer.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:17 pm

AndrewJ wrote:I don't think that section 106 generates that much money ........

.... according to Nantwich News ....

http://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2015/10/21 ... l-coffers/

Freedom of Information Request [FOI] wrote: ...More than £14 million from housing developers is sitting unspent in Cheshire East Council coffers, it emerged today.
The staggering amount was uncovered in a Freedom of Information Act, which revealed only half of Section 106 contributions received from developers since 2010-11 has been invested.
Between 2010 and 2015, £15.25 million was paid to Cheshire East Council by developers under Section 106 conditions for planning approval to build houses.
However, our FOI shows only £7.24 million of that has been spent.
With more than £6 million of Section 106 money in the bank before 2010, and interest gained on contributions since, it means Cheshire East has a total of £14,268,393 in its coffers.
2014-15 was a record year for Section 106 contributions received by the council, totalling £7.6 million. But so far, only a third of that – £2.5 million – has been spent.
Similarly, in 2013-14 the council was paid almost £3.7 million, but has so far only spent £1 million, less than a third.
The number of planning approvals has also risen sharply, according to the figures.
In 2011, 49 approvals were granted to housing developers across the borough.
This rose to 58 in 2012, 70 in 2013 and 79 in 2014.

Cheshire East has earned almost £50,000 in interest alone on its Section 106 payments in the last five years.

Section-106-contributions-table.jpg

... So – not only do the developers profit from poor planning but also, (potentially), from inept management of the little compensation the community receives for the impacts of development. It would be utterly disgraceful if any S106 payments were unspent and had to be returned to the developers.
S106 agreements are (or should be) related to specific infrastructure and other provision and it is therefore hard to understand why this money has been neither spent nor allocated. Surely some of that cash must be reaching the point of repayment by now? What on earth is the point of keeping it in a bank account? ...... apart from the INTEREST made by CEC from that account !!!! ..... I hope we benefit from THAT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Clearly not enough money to keep the P1 going then. Heads need to roll in Sandbach. CEC is one of the worst managed councils in the country.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 am

Is it at all possible to sack anybody in local government
?

firefly

Postby firefly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Old news, look at the date

Return to “Poynton Forum”