Water supply lost

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

POYNTONIAN 1

Re: Water supply lost

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 am

No water again, tankers on Dickens/Pickwick. Agree it is a major job to an old main that's not in good condition, hope it can stand the extra demand from the new houses at Hunt's if they plan on using it.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:11 am

nedsram wrote:Agreed. This was a major incident but nevertheless I received several automated phone calls with updates. I'm not sure if they phoned everybody or if i was because I phoned them to report another issue a few weeks ago and they had a record of my number.

We also received recorded phone messages throughout the day with updates. Well done United Utilities for keeping people informed.
Back too normal now :clap
Spoke too soon just received another recorded update 8.25 am today saying that Utilities are still working on the problem .
Our water supply is back to normal at the moment. Clifford rd area.
Last edited by ma-ogy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:30 am

At 03.46 United Utilities wrote:We are still on site in the SK12 area, trying to restore supplies to all customers.

Unfortunately, we are having some technical issues bringing water back into the mains but we are hoping to rectify this as soon as possible.

We're really sorry if you've been affected by this - thank you so much for bearing with us while we work to rectify the issue

At 06.37 United Utilities wrote:We are still on site in SK12, working on restoring your supplies to normal pressure.

Our 'Water on Wheels' tankers are also in the area pumping clean water directly into the mains. This will bring supply back to properties but this may be at a lower pressure that you are used to.

Because there has been a disturbance to the water supply you may experience discoloured or aerated (white) water.

Please click on either of the links for further information

https://www.unitedutilities.com/service ... ite-water/

https://www.unitedutilities.com/service ... red-water/

Very low pressure at the moment.

Pam Heathcote

Postby Pam Heathcote » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 am

I have to commend United Utilities. They kept my Mum informed throughout with regular telephone updates. Yesterday evening when it became clear that her water supply was still not back to normal, I went round to take her some bottled water but UU had beaten me to it and had already delivered her some themselves. I'm not sure who else received some, it seems there is some sort of list. I was wondering if her age had something to do with it but we are very impressed :clap

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:38 pm

At 11.43 United Utilities wrote:Our engineers are still in the area following the burst to the large water main yesterday on Dickens Lane, you may still be experiencing poor pressure or cloudy water, and this is aerated water and has thousands of tiny air bubbles in it.

Rest assured, as long as the water clears in a glass from the bottom to the top you can continue to use the water as usual.

We still have our water on wheels vehicles pumping into the main to help with the pressure and also to maintain the supply this morning.

We will be remaining in the area this afternoon until the pressure has been restored to the area.

Thank you for you patience and understanding.

Please click on either of the links for further information

https://www.unitedutilities.com/service ... ite-water/

https://www.unitedutilities.com/service ... red-water/

Pressure is still low. This is taking an awfully long time.

At about 10.15 I passed five United Utilities tankers parked up at the Deanwater.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Water pressure abt 90% :clap

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:02 pm

At 5.44 United Utilities wrote:We're sorry if you are noticing your water is a little cloudy or discoloured at your property. Our engineers are starting to slowly restore water back to the main to get your taps flowing normally again.

Cloudy or discoloured water can happen due to the pipes in your area being disturbed. Our pipes have naturally occurring sediments and minerals at the bottom which are unlikely to be harmful to health.

We know it doesn’t look nice but don’t worry, you can help with this by letting your cold water tap run at a slight trickle until your water runs crystal clear again.

You may also experience fluctuations in your pressure whilst the water is being restored and your supply will continue to build throughout the course of the evening.

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing and thank you for your continued patience.

Half an hour ago we were finally able to flush the loo.

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 pm

If it hadn't been for postings on this site we wouldn't have known what was going on, apart from waterless taps. At one time a loudspeaker vehicle went round advising of a water cut off. Not this time as far as I know. Pre-knowledge would have been useful- we could have drawn some off as a reserve. Neighbour with baby breastfeeding, fortunately. Still had to go out to buy water though for rest of family, as we did. Maybe the "well done UU" should have "could do better" as a postscript.
R

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm

At 8.46 United Utilities wrote:All our work is now complete and your water should be coming out of your taps at full pressure again. We will continue to monitor this but should you still be having any issues please call us on 0345 6723 723.

Thank you for patience whilst we got this resolved and we are truly sorry for any inconvenience caused.

What amused me was the number of people posting on Facebook along the lines of "is anybody else having problems with their water supply?". Nobody there seems to have thought to have a look at the United Utilities web site where they would easily have found out what the problem was.

Poyntonresident

Postby Poyntonresident » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm

rafiki6 wrote:If it hadn't been for postings on this site we wouldn't have known what was going on, apart from waterless taps. At one time a loudspeaker vehicle went round advising of a water cut off. Not this time as far as I know. Pre-knowledge would have been useful- we could have drawn some off as a reserve. Neighbour with baby breastfeeding, fortunately. Still had to go out to buy water though for rest of family, as we did. Maybe the "well done UU" should have "could do better" as a postscript.
R

What? you wanted UU to pre-warn you that the water main - under Dickens Lane - was going to burst????
How can they have done better - please enlighten us?
For what its worth I think they have dealt with it very admirably.

Return to “Poynton Forum”