Disabled Parking : London Road

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Scallywag

Disabled Parking : London Road

Postby Scallywag » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm

I see at last that the notices were installed yesterday for the Disabled Parking in lay-bys on London Road North & South. Parking is for 2 hours only and no return within 2 hours. This is meant for people to do their shopping or whatever in Poynton and not, as is now, all day parking every working day! Where will the camper van go I wonder that's been parked up since way before Christmas, and what about the car owners making their offices provide parking spaces at the back of the businesses on Park Lane, instead of most of it being left to scrub land? Poynton certainly has its problems regarding parking facilities - there just isn't enough space, hence motorists just dumping their cars on pavements in Park Lane while they go to buy coffee or sandwiches. What will happen if the new housing developments get passed - even more cars to park up.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Re: Disabled Parking : London Road

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Scallywag wrote:.. Poynton certainly has its problems regarding parking facilities - there just isn't enough space, hence motorists just dumping their cars on pavements in Park Lane while they go to buy coffee or sandwiches..

Dumping cars on Park Lane pavements etc is much easier in the evening when there’s less pedestrians about hogging them. :mrgreen:
Wonder if that’s why each shop that closes down, reopens as a bar / eatery that thrives due to the convenient evening parking.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 am

Parking for work is a problem everywhere unfortunately, not just in Poynton centre. I've never worked somewhere that had enough parking, even in purpose built out-of-town business parks.

I don't think there is a solution in Poynton centre really, beyond something expensive like demolishing the disused bit of Vernon school to make way for a new carpark, part long-stay/part short-stay. However I think that bit of land can be put to far better use than a car park. Any use of Hazel Grove park and ride for long-stay in Poynton is probably too mind-blowingly radical for most motorists at present.

People should stop expecting the council to accommodate their cars for them - it just takes too much space. If you can't park it don't take it.

Parking on the pavements/forecourts of the shops on Park Lane is dangerous, but to be fair I don't see a lot of it, mostly it seems to be in the evening. I think officially it is still considered OK (on the forecourts at least) as technically it is still private property. None of the forecourts are actually big enough to accommodate modern cars, and it is just used as an excuse for people to plant their front wheels on the sliver of orange paving and feel they can claim that they are parking legitimately. I wonder if they could be adopted by the council, and have a solution like outside the Post Office, where there are now some strategically placed flower beds, benches and cycle stands?

Tony471

Postby Tony471 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Flood all the pavements with nails, hopefully punctures galore will stop the ignorant b*&"!*s

Clarky

Postby Clarky » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:59 am

Scallywag wrote:Where will the camper van go I wonder that's been parked up since way before Christmas,

I don't think said campervan pays a great deal of attention to the new parking limitations as it is still constantly parked there, albeit occasionally moving around the parking bays.

Is someone living in it?
Damnant quod non intelligunt

Jugglingwithsanity

Postby Jugglingwithsanity » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Interesting that this was a reply from the @policemacntpoyn twitter account recently to someone asking about the van.. “Hello. Although this appears abandoned it belongs to a lady visiting the area and does move occasionally. The parking bays are not restricted so we nor the council do not have any powers to request them to move it”

Scallywag

Postby Scallywag » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:09 pm

So if the @policemacntpoyn twitter, or whoever they are, do not have the powers to move the offenders, who does for pity sake? The lay-bys on London Road should not be treated like a camp site. Anyone flouting the rules should be penalized but who is around to do the job? It really is a joke. Isn't it time the Community Traffic Warden made an appearance again, he's not been seen for some time!!

Clarky

Postby Clarky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Scallywag wrote:So if the @policemacntpoyn twitter, or whoever they are, do not have the powers to move the offenders, who does for pity sake? The lay-bys on London Road should not be treated like a camp site. Anyone flouting the rules should be penalized but who is around to do the job? It really is a joke. Isn't it time the Community Traffic Warden made an appearance again, he's not been seen for some time!!

Maybe when the Community Traffic Warden has been found, he might also ask the lady why there are no number plates fitted to her vehicle too.
Damnant quod non intelligunt

topgunhorse

Postby topgunhorse » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 pm

Clarky wrote:
Maybe when the Community Traffic Warden has been found, he might also ask the lady why there are no number plates fitted to her vehicle too.

Should have gone to Spec Savers.

vmeldrew

Postby vmeldrew » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 am

More evidence of another failure in the Shared Space concept. I thought one of the major promises was to get rid of the clutter of street signs! Instead we have as many signs as before, more pavement parking, shoddy repairs to setts, just as much congestion, and a bill as big as a CEC top man's pay package meaning that there's no money left and repairs cannot be done properly and in a timely manner.

Return to “Poynton Forum”