Disabled Parking : London Road

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Poyntonresident

Re: Disabled Parking : London Road

Postby Poyntonresident » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 am

vmeldrew wrote:More evidence of another failure in the Shared Space concept. I thought one of the major promises was to get rid of the clutter of street signs! Instead we have as many signs as before, more pavement parking, shoddy repairs to setts, just as much congestion, and a bill as big as a CEC top man's pay package meaning that there's no money left and repairs cannot be done properly and in a timely manner.

and we also have a vey attractive village centre, more investment leading to minimal empty shop units and rising house prices, a much more vibrant centre, generally less congestion and a safer set of roads.

Apart from that though, yep. its been a disaster.....

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Apart from that though, yep. its been a disaster....

I believe that after the required specification was agreed on for the shared space, along came the "value engineers" and over rode the required specification and cut the agreed costs. That is why pieces of wood were used in the construction of at least one manhole and this lead to it's eventual collapse. I was also told that the thickness of the concrete base beneath the bricks on London Rd was reduced in thickness, this base has now cracked and is collapsing , again to save cost and this is why the road in parts is sinking.

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 am

It always fascinates me when 'costs are saved' just exactly where do the savings :?:
go?f

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Desmo Man wrote:Apart from that though, yep. its been a disaster....

I believe that after the required specification was agreed on for the shared space, along came the "value engineers" and over rode the required specification and cut the agreed costs. That is why pieces of wood were used in the construction of at least one manhole and this lead to it's eventual collapse. I was also told that the thickness of the concrete base beneath the bricks on London Rd was reduced in thickness, this base has now cracked and is collapsing , again to save cost and this is why the road in parts is sinking.

To be fair, all the roads in Poynton are sinking. It is partly the rainier weather we get nowadays and partly the type of ground they are built on. Middlewood Road literally sank and it looks like Chester Road and Woodford Road won't be far behind at the rate potholes are opening up on them. Dickens Lane and the Shared Space are the only ones that have been substantially resurfaced since I've lived here (about 10 years), the rest just have to wait for emergency repairs.

It is not a problem confined to that junction, but that is the busiest junction and therefore the most worn - remember that it is 6-7 years old now - all main roads used by lorries will degrade within that time. You can bet the first serious potholes on A6MARR will be within 5 years. Roads just cost too much to maintain - at least those used by lots of lorries do.

Return to “Poynton Forum”