Estates & Management

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

nowthensithe

Re: Estates & Management

Postby nowthensithe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:30 am

My only comments about E&M is that they are one of the slowest companies to deal with.

Their reply system is unprofessional, reminders have to be sent and eventually, and I mean eventually, they will at their leisure reply.

PoyntonRed

Postby PoyntonRed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 pm

So basically, as long as we don't tell them about any work and don't plan to sell up in the near future I guess we should be Ok? It is either that or pay through the nose for E&M to say go ahead and extend your own house.

We have already been charged £50 admin fee because they sent the bill and reminders for the ground rent to our old address which the solicitor had given them when we bought the house. They eventually sent it to our actual address when the £50 admin fee came into play and threatened court action and to contact our Mortgage Provider if we didn't pay. I refused and they dropped it to £25, I was fed up with arguing with them at this point so just paid up.

Our freehold quote came in around £1400, too much for us when we pay minimal ground rent, it would never be worth it.

We have already had to get an indemnity policy as well because of alterations to the house by the previous owner who never sought permission so I'm a bit over them now and inclined to just go ahead and ignore them.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:05 pm

We had a similar problem once when we moved house. I did ask the new owners why they hadn't forwarded the mail when they knew our new address. "We'd put it all in a drawer for you to collect when you came round", they said. It was a 350 mile round trip!

tunny

Postby tunny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 am

PoyntonRed wrote:So basically, as long as we don't tell them about any work and don't plan to sell up in the near future I guess we should be Ok? It is either that or pay through the nose for E&M to say go ahead and extend your own house.

It's difficult to know what to do. I've gone through all this lately and my brain was busting with all the different options.

If you do it on the quiet, it's a gamble. Applying for consent retrospectively could be more expensive than doing it up front. Depends on your circumstances and how much you want (and what the timeline is for) the extension.

Are E&M the freeholder or just the management company? Going direct to the freeholder may be better than via a middle man. Here's a guide on how to do it: http://www.propertyprotocols.co.uk/the- ... s-protocol

If you go that way let me know and I can forward on the letter I sent for you to use as a template.

For mine I've had a quote for £800 for the freehold, plus £1200 for his legals, plus my legals (£700 ish). His legals are extortionate and x3 what they should be, but he holds all the cards unless I challenge at tribunal. So ~£2700 to buy the freehold, which is what I'm doing. In that context £1400 isn't too bad (assuming that's the total).

I also have the details of a decent solicitor (Sheffield based) who's doing my legals and knows this inside out if you need.

Return to “Poynton Forum”