Station Ticket Office Closed - NOW OPEN AGAIN

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

turdo170

Station Ticket Office Closed - NOW OPEN AGAIN

Postby turdo170 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

The station ticket office closed at 9am yesterday and has since had loads of white paper over all the windows with lots of closed signs everywhere.

Northern twitter said it might be due to refurbishment but nothing on the journeycheck to confirm it.

It felt very strange today with no ticket office.

I hope it's going to re-open, given Northern committed to retaining and enhancing ticket office provision.
Last edited by turdo170 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnB

Re: Station Ticket Office

Postby JohnB » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm

I feel like Glyn who works there has been screwed over. He does loads of work to get the station looking nice and it has won awards for best kept station. Since those machines went up it felt like it was inevitable that they would get rid of him. Everyone seemed to avoid using them as much as possible as its nice to have a person to buy your ticket from in the morning. If this is true then maybe some sort of petition might work?

redpig

Re: Station Ticket Office Closed

Postby redpig » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm

The station ticket office closed at 9am yesterday and has since had loads of white paper over all the windows with lots of closed signs everywhere. Northern twitter said it might be due to refurbishment but nothing on the journeycheck to confirm it.

Spoke to Glyn last week. It is a refurbishment modern design so expect a big glass replacement of the old wall when you walk in. Refurbishment due to ticket office window not being accessible for people in wheelchairs etc.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Good to hear he'll be back!

I thought a PRM-TSI compliant counter would be required sooner or later to comply with the equality act. 2019 is the deadline for equality friendly interiors on trains.

Person with reduced mobility technical specification for interoperability.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:16 pm

I have to say that the new ticket machines at the station are probably the most slow and baffling that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I wonder if there is a prize for the most Kafkaesque automatic vending machine, as they'd win with ease. It will be nice to talk to a human again.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

AndrewJ wrote:I have to say that the new ticket machines at the station are probably the most slow and baffling that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I wonder if there is a prize for the most Kafkaesque automatic vending machine, as they'd win with ease. It will be nice to talk to a human again.

Whilst I agree they are cheap and nasty pieces of junk , they are a big improvement on the old Parkeon machines Northern used to install, which funnily enough are now used by Virgin Trains East Coast. They are however still Parkeon.

I too will be glad when Glynmeister is back.

kiehsnori

Re: Station Ticket Office

Postby kiehsnori » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:03 am

JohnB wrote:Everyone seemed to avoid using them as much as possible as its nice to have a person to buy your ticket from in the morning. If this is true then maybe some sort of petition might work?

Everyone avoided them because in the rare occasions they actually worked they're far, far slower to work than actually buying a ticket at the counter, even if there is a queue. That's of course assuming that I'm wanting a trivially easy to buy ticket, if I'm wanting something even slightly complicated then the ticket machine isn't even capable of selling me what I want in the first place, and the rolls of wallpaper that guards carry around nowadays claiming to be tickets are even worse

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Yeah, from the machine you don't seem to be able to get tickets through to Metrolink stops for example, unless I've still to reach that level of vending machine mastery (probably needs a black-belt). So that means an extra stop for tickets at Piccadilly - 2 long queues instead of 1 short one- and what is more it seems to be more expensive too!

Also, a rather surreal first screen where the 'popular tickets' appear to just be random stations across the Northern network. I think only one is actually on the Poynton line (Heaton Chapel), and you can't actually get a direct train there most of the day anyway. Perhaps by popular they just mean nice and friendly rather than most frequented destination.

By the way, the Northern ticket checkers and issuers have started to include Poynton in the TfGM off-peak evening restrictions this week. I've been stopped twice already, once on the train and once at Poynton station itself. Before this week you could travel into Manchester after 9:30 on an off-peak ticket, safe in the knowledge that it was valid for return at any time that day. However off-peak are no longer valid on evening peak trains (4pm-6). Would have been nice to have been informed about it beforehand (and told about it on the ticket machine!), instead of being made to feel like a criminal. They should probably update their website too which still shows the restrictions stopping at Bramhall. With a human there you at least get told about such things when you buy the ticket.

bandib

Postby bandib » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:48 am

AndrewJ wrote:Yeah, from the machine you don't seem to be able to get tickets through to Metrolink stops for example, unless I've still to reach that level of vending machine mastery (probably needs a black-belt). So that means an extra stop for tickets at Piccadilly - 2 long queues instead of 1 short one- and what is more it seems to be more expensive too!

Also, a rather surreal first screen where the 'popular tickets' appear to just be random stations across the Northern network. I think only one is actually on the Poynton line (Heaton Chapel), and you can't actually get a direct train there most of the day anyway. Perhaps by popular they just mean nice and friendly rather than most frequented destination.

By the way, the Northern ticket checkers and issuers have started to include Poynton in the TfGM off-peak evening restrictions this week. I've been stopped twice already, once on the train and once at Poynton station itself. Before this week you could travel into Manchester after 9:30 on an off-peak ticket, safe in the knowledge that it was valid for return at any time that day. However off-peak are no longer valid on evening peak trains (4pm-6). Would have been nice to have been informed about it beforehand (and told about it on the ticket machine!), instead of being made to feel like a criminal. They should probably update their website too which still shows the restrictions stopping at Bramhall. With a human there you at least get told about such things when you buy the ticket.

Is the off-peak restriction true or just a misunderstanding? You can certainly still buy off-peak return tickets on the northern website. Sounds more like uneducated staff rather than a change in pricing which would be unusual at this time of year.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am

Details of off-peak restrictions can be found here. There is indeed no mention of Poynton being included in these restrictions. People challenged should refer the ticket inspectors to the information on their own web site. Note that according to the Northern Rail web site, the evening peak restriction is 16.01 - 18.29.

Return to “Poynton Forum”