Station Ticket Office Closed - NOW OPEN AGAIN

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

tarboat

Re: Station Ticket Office Closed

Postby tarboat » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm

nedsram wrote:Note that according to the Northern Rail web site, the evening peak restriction is 16.01 - 18.29.

Which means that the 16.01 from Stockport to Middlewood incurs Peak Rates whilst travellers from Manchester on the same train can go off peak. With a two hourly service this means the last afternoon off-peak train from Stockport is 14.01. :roll:

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

I walked past Middlewood station today. On the bridge there are five display panels of "useful information". Apparently a timetable doesn't qualify for inclusion. There has always been one there in the past. However on the platform itself you can listen in to what appear to be intercom radio calls by staff. :o

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Poynton is NOT part of evening peak restrictions.

Off Peak Day Return Tickets from Poynton to Manchester and vice versa WERE restriction code B1 - Any train from 0930 and return any train however it appears that they are now B3 Outward after 0859 and return any train UNLESS you have a DUO which have had restrictions on evening travel since First North Western created them.

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=PYT&dest=MAN

Carlisle Security are extremely heavy handed but do not take anything they say as fact if you know it not to be not true.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:16 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Yeah, from the machine you don't seem to be able to get tickets through to Metrolink stops for example, unless I've still to reach that level of vending machine mastery (probably needs a black-belt). So that means an extra stop for tickets at Piccadilly - 2 long queues instead of 1 short one- and what is more it seems to be more expensive too!

Also, a rather surreal first screen where the 'popular tickets' appear to just be random stations across the Northern network. I think only one is actually on the Poynton line (Heaton Chapel), and you can't actually get a direct train there most of the day anyway. Perhaps by popular they just mean nice and friendly rather than most frequented destination.

By the way, the Northern ticket checkers and issuers have started to include Poynton in the TfGM off-peak evening restrictions this week. I've been stopped twice already, once on the train and once at Poynton station itself. Before this week you could travel into Manchester after 9:30 on an off-peak ticket, safe in the knowledge that it was valid for return at any time that day. However off-peak are no longer valid on evening peak trains (4pm-6). Would have been nice to have been informed about it beforehand (and told about it on the ticket machine!), instead of being made to feel like a criminal. They should probably update their website too which still shows the restrictions stopping at Bramhall. With a human there you at least get told about such things when you buy the ticket.

Not true what so ever unless you have a DUO. See my post above for a full breakdown.

We've had numerous reports about this in our Ticketing Area on Railuk, it got better for a time but seems to have got worse, probably because Northern are desperately trying to increase revenue to keep on track with their forecasts and premium payments to the government.

The training on tickets is shambolic and I had to correct a guard once who was telling some passengers incorrect information and he was a trainer!

The other factor is most staff now have no interest in tickets and are not railway enthusiasts so don't have any inclination to learn more about tickets.

I am however part of a fares group and we regularly discuss issues and changes to pricing and restrictions.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 pm

The main reason for the restriction code changing to Manchester to "after 0859" will be so TVM's can sell them between 0900 and 0930.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:36 am

nedsram wrote:I walked past Middlewood station today. On the bridge there are five display panels of "useful information". Apparently a timetable doesn't qualify for inclusion. There has always been one there in the past. However on the platform itself you can listen in to what appear to be intercom radio calls by staff. :o

The timetable migrated from the bridge onto the platform about 18 months ago.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Sounds good enough for me - I've reported it to Northern and I've not been buying 'anytime' tickets on off-peak services until they update their website (which still says no restrictions at Poynton). Bit difficult to argue if there are transport police staff there though. They tend to believe the railway staff, not the passenger. Irritatingly I've not had the opportunity to 'discuss' with anyone it since. ;)

I've seen a few other people stung by it last week too, so I guess someone somewhere is giving the wrong training, or else they are jumping the gun before an official launch. Certainly something has changed, because if you've ever had the misfortune to have to stand in the 10 minute queue to buy the ticket at Piccadilly then you'll have trouble convincing them to sell you anything other than the most expensive option too.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Given that there are restrictions on other lines as far as Alderley Edge, New Mills and Glossop, it would be an anomaly if the restrictions didn't apply as far as Macclesfield as well. However the map (reproduced below) and the accompanying text make no mention of Poynton to Macclesfield. Perhaps people should print out the web page and present it to the ticket collectors. Either that or refuse to pay and threaten to sue Northern Rail for defamation of character. If it's a mistake on the web site, it's their problem not ours. (Note that the whole of the Glossop / Hadfield line is in the TfGM area.)

Greater-Manchester-map-update.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Sounds good enough for me - I've reported it to Northern and I've not been buying 'anytime' tickets on off-peak services until they update their website (which still says no restrictions at Poynton). Bit difficult to argue if there are transport police staff there though. They tend to believe the railway staff, not the passenger. Irritatingly I've not had the opportunity to 'discuss' with anyone it since. ;)

I've seen a few other people stung by it last week too, so I guess someone somewhere is giving the wrong training, or else they are jumping the gun before an official launch. Certainly something has changed, because if you've ever had the misfortune to have to stand in the 10 minute queue to buy the ticket at Piccadilly then you'll have trouble convincing them to sell you anything other than the most expensive option too.

Nothing has changed to the restrictions at present, Poynton is NOT in the restriction zone and does not have any restriction code ND off peak day return's however I will definitely discuiss it with our fares group because it is not acceptable and should not be happening.

Northern owe all those people a refund, if we could get them all to do a collective complaint then the issue who become more prominent.

I'd certainly look forward to having it out with them on the issue but I always buy my ticket in advance for cashback and collect from the TVM, that way no arguements.

Carlisle Security selling the wrong fares and standing with clipboards taking names and addresses at unstaffed stations for non-offences (denying discount to those that are not clued up enough to challenge it) is a known issue I've raised with David Rutley and we are taking further.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Sounds good enough for me - I've reported it to Northern and I've not been buying 'anytime' tickets on off-peak services until they update their website (which still says no restrictions at Poynton). Bit difficult to argue if there are transport police staff there though. They tend to believe the railway staff, not the passenger. Irritatingly I've not had the opportunity to 'discuss' with anyone it since. ;)

I would say it's more likely to be poor training as I've seen nothing to suggest additional restrictions are coming in any recent briefings but then I know of staff at Paddington where there are similar problems who falsely told BTP that a gentlemen had a gun to get rid of him because he was using a valid Off Peak ticket and GWR have peak restrictions on fares originating at Paddington in the peaks.

It's not a unique problem.

Perhaps you could try avoiding Northern staff next time and head for Virgin red coats as they tend to be better.

Return to “Poynton Forum”