New rail timetable from May 20th 2018 - NOW Dec/May 2019

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

nedsram

Re: New rail timetable from May 20th

Postby nedsram » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:19 pm

turdo170 wrote:The 1330 from Poynton still scheduled to miss out Stockport, I'm sure that will cause a few issues.

That makes no sense at all. I believe that when they built the viaduct, an act of parliament required that any train using the viaduct must call at Stockport. Maybe we should hold them to that. :)

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 pm

A final irritation about the new timetable:

The 17:08 from Deansgate to Poynton (the only one of the day from Deansgate) will now start at Piccadilly instead so there is now no direct service, and no connecting service either. Yes I know it is not that far to walk or Metroshuttle between the two, but it still potentially adds another 15 minutes or so to the journey and creates a multi-trip journey with a heavy bag. I guess I've got 7 months to wait for them to be reinstated (fingers crossed).

So the two services I find most useful have been removed, just my luck. I moved to Poynton 10 years ago, primarily because of the train service, and since then the service has more-or-less halved, but the patronage has more-or-less doubled! Go figure, as the Americans probably don't say anymore.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 pm

mini1 wrote:Very annoying. My daughter gets the 8.15 to Bramhall for school every morning. The next one is too late. Why has this been removed, would have thought it a popular commuting choice.

Yes, it is a popular school train (for the private schools in Cheadle too). Does your daughter go to Bramhall High? If she has passed her Bikeability then I suggest a bike trip from Glastonbury Drive, along the tracks of Lower Park Road and the dog kennel Lane. Takes about 15 minutes to get to the school. Depending on where you are in Poynton there is only about 30 metres on busy road, and that can be walked down the verge if necessary. I've seen a couple of kids in their uniform going that way on bikes recently, rather naughtily using the footpath over the field near Lower Park School. :lol: It is probably easier and safer for many Poynton kids than cycling to Poynton High!

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 pm

A couple more interesting qwerks of the new timetables:

1430 on a Saturday misses out Cheadle Hulme and Stockport but calls at Heaton Chapel and Levenshume.

1630 goes express from Cheadle Hulme to Piccadilly.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm

Daytime services from Hazel Grove will be much improved. Three an hour to Manchester (up from two) and two an hour to Buxton (up from one). Plus free car park or bus to/from Poynton stopping outside the entrance.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 pm

XX10, XX21,XX35 will be the trains from Hazel Grove to Manchester and the bus arrives at xx23.

If the bus is late then you would likely end up on the xx10.

On the return it is xx12, xx29 and xx45 arrival. Buses mostly at xx10, you could make it on the xx12 arrival if your lucky.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:05 pm

AndrewJ wrote:A final irritation about the new timetable:

The 17:08 from Deansgate to Poynton (the only one of the day from Deansgate) will now start at Piccadilly instead so there is now no direct service, and no connecting service either. Yes I know it is not that far to walk or Metroshuttle between the two, but it still potentially adds another 15 minutes or so to the journey and creates a multi-trip journey with a heavy bag. I guess I've got 7 months to wait for them to be reinstated (fingers crossed).

It's one of many situations in the North in recent times.

Liverpool lost its direct train to Blackpool after Liverpool - Wigan electrification but before Blackpool electrification to release diesel trains.

Transpennine had to borrow slower Northern trains for the Blackpool and Barrow route because they lost some trains to Chiltern Railways (one of the very few longer franchises and one which is nil subsidy).

Northern now operate Manchester - Preston - Blackpool / Barrow /Windermere with 4 x Transpennine trains and older stock than Transpenine did before hiring Northern trains. After May they will use 2 x Transpennine trains and slightly newer "express" trains but still older and slightly slower than Transpennine's newer trains.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:19 pm

yewtreeman wrote:Daytime services from Hazel Grove will be much improved. Three an hour to Manchester (up from two) and two an hour to Buxton (up from one). Plus free car park or bus to/from Poynton stopping outside the entrance.

Yes, I've gone that way occasionally, usually when the Poynton trains are delayed or cancelled. The main problem with going via Hazel Grove at present is that it is a significantly longer journey door-to-door, the trains are dirty slow clunkers with even less leg room, and they are even more crowded (at least at peak times). It is generally more expensive than travelling from Poynton too, when you take into account the bus fare or petrol. The car park always seems to be full too, for those going by car. It is still useful to have the alternative though.

The best thing about going that way is if you are a cyclist. There is a secure bike shed there which I think even those living outside Greater Manchester can register for. Poynton station doesn't have any official cycle facilities.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Note that it seems the 9.30 from Poynton to Manchester etc, which allowed the use of an off peak ticket, is being replaced by a 9.29 which will need the full anytime fare.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:21 pm

No you won't need to pay the Anytime Fare - Poynton to Manchester Off Peak Day Return is restriction code B3 - outward after 0859 Monday - Friday and return on any train.

Duo's are restriction code NS outward at or after 0900 and return anytime except 1601-1759 inclusive.

If this changes I will let you know.

Below is a link to ticket and restriction info

http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=PYT&dest=MAN

Return to “Poynton Forum”