Brookside miniature railway

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Sam12

Brookside miniature railway

Postby Sam12 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:40 pm

Is it true that the miniature railway at Brookside garden centre will no longer operate after 30th September this year?

Does anyone know the reason why?

POYNTONIAN 1

Re: Brookside miniature railway

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:38 pm

According to N&G the manager is retiring & it's then having a refurb b4 opening again

Sam12

Postby Sam12 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:55 pm

What is N&G? And I thought it had just had a refurbishment.

There is a new entrance and carpark, the outside has been block paved and there is a new restaurant.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 pm

facebook Poynton News & Gossip

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Sam12 wrote:What is N&G? And I thought it had just had a refurbishment.

There is a new entrance and carpark, the outside has been block paved and there is a new restaurant.

The railways being refurbed

Sam12

Postby Sam12 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:40 pm

Ahhh! I see, the railway is having a reburb.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I'm getting mixed messages here. According to the garden centre, it's a refurbishment. According to the railway, they have been given notice to quit. If the intention is to re-open the railway, why dispense with the people who have lovingly cared for it for so long? Our support for the garden centre will cease if they do close the railway permanently - and I suspect that we will not be alone.

paddingtonbear

Postby paddingtonbear » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:51 am

As nedsram says, the current operators of the miniature railway say they have been given notice to quit. After September there will apparently be a re-furb after which it will reopen with different operators - maybe Strikes will run it themselves? I believe though that although Strikes own the buildings and track, the current operator owns the engines, carriages and memorabilia. A 'Brookside memorabilia' auction is due to be held at the leisure centre in November.
There's a lot of support on Facebook for the current operators who have built up and run the railway for many years. The garden centre could end up losing a lot of custom over this.

robbo

Postby robbo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Just visited the railway today. Chris Halsall (the owner of all the railway signs, seats etc, and railway engines) was there with his team dismantling everything. They told me they were just given notice to leave with no explanation. I can't see it being anywhere near as good without all the genuine railway artefacts that Chris has accumulated over the years. They must be worth a fortune.

Very sad.

For those who don’t know, Chris has been a pillar of Poynton society for many many years. He is responsible for Poynton in Bloom and the Heritage and Station Gardens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yodasdad

Postby yodasdad » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:27 pm

A very sad loss for Poynton. Thank you for the pleasure you brought to many and for all of the dedicated hard work you put into making Brookside miniature railway the success it was. :clap

Return to “Poynton Forum”