Anti Social Littering

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Dog walker

Re: Anti Social Littering

Postby Dog walker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Is that where the tipused to be before it moved to Anson Road.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Judging from illustration 8 in this document https://www.poyntontowncouncil.gov.uk/documents/history/PoyntonEastHeritageAssessment03122013.pdf, the 'hill' as we see it now is just a remnant of what used to be. It was formed by quarrying for sand in the area. This bit was saved probably because of a small reservoir located on top (which seems to have gone now).

OS maps don't really seem to start showing Tip Hill until the 1950s, although it is called a 'sand pit' a few decades before.

This whole landscape is actually manmade. The waste and destruction from mining and the railways created many a 'hill' and bank around there. It is just large-scale littering really. The kids are just continuing where the adults left off. :lol:

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Dog walker wrote:Is that where the tipused to be before it moved to Anson Road.
Nearby, the old tip is now reclaimed farmland & the golf club practice area. The sand pit refers to the source of sand used to manufacture Jackson's sandblast buff bricks

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 am

'Tip Hill' was not formed by quarrying for sand. THAT is the natural landscape east of Towers Road. The sand and gravel (gravel was the main objective) took place east of the reservoir and taken to Offerton (Offerton Sand and Gravel) where it was screened and washed before being sold. Extraction was still taking place (1950's) in one section whilst being used for domestic rubbish dumping in other sections. The land originally sloped from the reservoir level (the highest part obviously) to the level of the Red Road - to the Park Pits and brickworks -with crushed bricks as a road surface is how it got its name.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 pm

rafiki6 wrote:'Tip Hill' was not formed by quarrying for sand. THAT is the natural landscape east of Towers Road. The sand and gravel (gravel was the main objective) took place east of the reservoir and taken to Offerton (Offerton Sand and Gravel) where it was screened and washed before being sold. Extraction was still taking place (1950's) in one section whilst being used for domestic rubbish dumping in other sections. The land originally sloped from the reservoir level (the highest part obviously) to the level of the Red Road - to the Park Pits and brickworks -with crushed bricks as a road surface is how it got its name.

The sand came from what became the tip not tip hill & when exhausted then came from near Macc not OSG

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't recall the sand being exhausted. Either the quality lowered or contained smaller amounts of gravel. I don't understand what you mean that the sand came from near Macc not OSG. What sand? For where?

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:21 pm

AndrewJ wrote:
Is Tip Hill actually public land? I often see people on there, but the OS map indicates that it is just a private field rather than common or access land, so if the farmer is having trouble with the safety of his/her livestock then they'd be in their rights to fence it off from the footpath. In fact I'm pretty sure that's been done there at least once before, with some temporary electric fencing.

... it would seem that the current owner of the land, which includes 'Tip Hill', plus more besides, is Cheshire East Council; (I wonder how many other such large plots they also own ??) ... and they have just recently put it up for sale by auction this Thursday 26th July 2018 ... see link below :

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial- ... 78181.html

Tip Hill_18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... please, log yourself in to see any of my pictures ...

Return to “Poynton Forum”