water shortage?

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Potty

water shortage?

Postby Potty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:48 pm

enjoying this nice weather but wondering if we should be considering not cleaning our cars with the hose and not jet washing our drives..... noticed same guy on Brookfield jet washing a number of drives ? surely we should be considering not waisting water in this heat wave.

nedsram

Re: water shortage?

Postby nedsram » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:08 pm

On June 30th United Utilities wrote:Hi,

The hot weather means we're seeing a massive increase in water consumption across our area. Yesterday an additional half a billion litres was used and it has been the same today. We urgently need your help and support to avoid a hosepipe ban. You can help us by turning off your garden sprinklers, not using your hosepipes and taking shorter showers and not baths this weekend. The demand is so high, particularly during peak times, that we are struggling to get enough water around the system quick enough. If we can all do our bit this will reduce the risk of lower water pressure or no water at all.

Thank you, we really appreciate your help.

Potty

Postby Potty » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:27 pm

thanks for picking up my post ... maybe the residents of ppoynton could be considerate of their neighbours and not have heir drives jet washed at all at this time & if they are approached with the offer of jet washing to decline!
Otherwise as mentioned retrictions will be put in place to prevent wastage.

Might be an idea also to consider the firefighters not so far away who need the water more than we do!

lynjon

Postby lynjon » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I know what you mean my neighbour spent over an hour with power washer washing his car and bikes earlier this week and has now just filled up their paddling pool - no consideration for others.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Whilst sitting in Coffano coffee shop this morning I heard a lady say to her companion, "yes we heard him watering his garden a 4 o'clock this morning"

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:15 pm

It's a bit daft to ask if all the new houses to be built locally will not use water. I understand that reserves will be reducing and I've not heard of reserves being low, quite the contrary, but the statement to the fact that they are struggling to get enough water round the system quick enough suggests to me that the infrastructure is inadequate. Hard luck on new developments? A pressure reduction automatically occurs as it did many years ago when washing day was Monday. Lowering the pressure means some hot and cold taps will run slower and tanks take longer to fill.......and your paddling pool.

Return to “Poynton Forum”