My concessionary senior bus pass refused

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

kit123

My concessionary senior bus pass refused

Postby kit123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 pm

I had occasion to visit friends in Oldham on Monday. I caught the Manchester bus 74 and my bus pass triggered the red light on the machine, the driver said that Cheshire east senior passes were not accepted on Manchester buses and vice versa. I have used my pass before on Manchester buses, and also around the country without any problems. I thought that the passes were accepted throughout England. Has anyone else experienced any problems or had the driver made a mistake ?.

nedsram

Re: My concessionary senior bus pass refused

Postby nedsram » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Any English bus pass is valid anywhere in England. The driver was wrong. My bus pass is refused every time I try to use it in Leeds, but it's never caused any issue. There are clearly some incompatibilities. I should complain to Cheshire East and TfGM.

emar07

Postby emar07 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:45 pm

I think the problem is that pensioners resident in GM get free travel on ALL forms of public transport - including trams and trains travelling between stations in the GM area, as well as buses). This wider definition of free travel isn't available to Cheshire East residents - even though we have what outwardly looks like a GM postcode. This is what was presumably on the driver's mind - but he was wrong. Free bus travel is a completely different matter and if you are entitled to a pass this allows you to use local buses ANYWHERE in England (but not in Scotland or Wales I believe as they have their own schemes). I'd certainly complain as suggested as they need to educate their drivers and/or update their software.

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:46 pm

English National Concessionary Bus Pass

Cheshire East Council will offer the concessions listed below for the financial year 2018 / 2019 to permanent residents of the borough.

Published Particulars of Cheshire East Concessionary Travel Scheme in Operation 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 (PDF, 33KB)

Older persons bus pass
Disabled persons bus pass

What your bus pass entitles you to

What your bus pass entitles you to:
Cheshire East residents with an older or disabled persons pass
On bus journeys starting in Cheshire East:

Monday – Friday before 9.30am – half fare
Monday – Friday between 9.30am – last bus – free fare
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday – free fare

Disabled pass - blind / partially sighted
If you are a Cheshire East resident and hold a disabled persons ENCTS pass on the grounds of visual impairment and have been issued with a florescent wallet then you are entitled to free travel on all local bus journeys starting or ending in Cheshire East regardless of time. Please note that the pass must be retained in the florescent wallet provided at all times in order to receive all the concessions to which you are entitled.

These same concessions apply to some Flexible Transport services in Cheshire East and journeys on bus services going into Wales providing the journey starts or ends in Cheshire East.

East Cheshire Bus Services
Community and flexible transport services
In the rest of England:

Monday - Friday between 9.30 - last bus - free fare
Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday - free fare
Full fare applies at all other times on all services.

Visitors to Cheshire East
If you are visiting Cheshire East and have an English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass issued by another English authority you will be entitled to the following concessions on local bus services:

Monday - Friday between 0930 - last bus - free fare
Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday - free fare
Full fare applies at all other times on all services.

Exclusions
The English National Concessionary Bus Pass issued by Cheshire East Council is not valid for use on:

bus services on which the majority of seats can be reserved in advance of travel (such as coaches);
bus services that are intended to run for a period of less than 6 consecutive weeks;
bus services operated primarily for the purposes of tourism or because of the historical interest of the vehicle;
bus substitution (rail replacement) services;
bus services where the fare charged by the operator has a special amenity element.
tours, excursions and sightseeing buses,
express bus services such as National Express
night buses.
trains, trams, ferries, Metrolink or Underground.

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/public_transport/concessionary_travel/english_national_bus_pass.aspx
... please, log yourself in to see any of my pictures ...

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:55 am

I note the 74 bus service is operated by Stagecoach. When travelling on Stagecoach buses north of the city my pass very often triggers a red light. It would appear not many Cheshire East passes are used there so they have not calibrated the machines on all these buses. They have always been accepted though.
Definitely a case of “Driver Education “ needed.

kit123

Postby kit123 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Thank you everyone. The driver didn't charge me a fare just said sit down, I did contact the GM concessionary pass dept and the gentleman agreed that the driver was mistaken.
K

oldie

Postby oldie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 am

All about calibration.
For instance, they don’t work in Hastings/ Torquay, but they do in Exeter/ Plymouth. The last three being the same company.

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:31 am

Having travelled on various buses nationwide, there has been the odd occasion when the pass wasn't accepted by the machines but drivers have always honoured them and manually entered a code for ENCT.
Have you noticed that where tickets are issued, they invariably read something like ENCT, ENCT Free, ENCT Cheshire, ENCT/Cheshire O.A.P. etc
On the 391/2 service operated by Selwyns, their tickets tell me I am ELDERLY.

Return to “Poynton Forum”