Black Tarmac

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Desmo Man

Black Tarmac

Postby Desmo Man » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm

I have heard that the reason black tarmac is being used in the shared space and on London road in place of bricks, especially along London road next to the church wall where a electrical cable has been laid for the new cafe is because somebody at CEC forgot that there was a sixteen week lead time for the brick to be delivered.. Will the black tarmac ever be replaced with the correct bricks ?

POYNTONIAN 1

Re: Black Tarmac

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 pm

There's no need to be ordering replacement blocks, had CEC supervised the works properly!! Instead of using a floor saw & cutting the blocks they should have been taken up, stored & relayed. Many were cut & the rest taken away by grab wagon!! The mind boggles as to who is running this cock up. They should insist that the Stat Authorities, or anyone else undertaking the work repaces with the existing blocks. They'd get the DCM if they worked in the private sector

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I s'pose that the person who forgot to order the stone is still employed by CEC, as you say if they were in the private sector they would be handed their P45, but these people and organizations seem to live in a different world from the rest of us.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 pm

I understand that the blocks come from China, and the street lights from Italy. Are we not capable of providing anything suitable in this country? I can well believe that it would take 16 weeks for the blocks to arrive, if they have to come by ship half way round the world.

Tony471

Postby Tony471 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:43 am

If drives r us put a new pathed garden drive in for you, and the gas board came along and dug it up , one would want like for like going back down.

in 15 years time Park Lane will be like it used to be after all the contractors have left it in a mess.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

I am told the utility company's and contractors do not have to replace the original bricks or stone, they just have to leave the surface clean,safe and hazard free.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Desmo Man wrote:I am told the utility company's and contractors do not have to replace the original bricks or stone, they just have to leave the surface clean,safe and hazard free.

They’ve done 1/2 of it correctly!!!

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:40 pm

On the basis the blocks would be in stock in a warehouse and not be made to order - say two weeks to palletise and move to the port. Three to four weeks transit time from Chinese port. One week customs clearance and delivery to store. That by my reckoning gives a lead time of say seven weeks.

Even allowing for a further week or so for unseen happenings seems a mighty long time to me of sixteen weeks.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Tony471 wrote:....in 15 years time Park Lane will be like it used to be after all the contractors have left it in a mess.

If the continued management of the blocks were not going to be properly centrally managed why were they ever used?
It has added an extra continuous level of expenses over universal Black tarmac
Bramhall in the comparable time scale is looking smart with tarmac, pavement flags and bollards and surely a much lower maintenance cost.

Bramhall's pavement flags are in excellent condition. Unlike the same ones in Macclesfield, a shocking mess due to no bollards.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 pm

AnotherWhingerLike_U wrote:If the continued management of the blocks were not going to be properly centrally managed why were they ever used?.

I think that they originally ordered sufficient for the job plus replacements. Unfortunately they stored them in the insecure compound on London Road North, and they were stolen. I suspect that purchasing new blocks to replace those that were stolen is not high on the list of priorities for cash strapped CEC.

Return to “Poynton Forum”