Black Tarmac

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

vmeldrew

Re: Black Tarmac

Postby vmeldrew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 am

I think I've been totally consistent in saying that the project was mis-managed from the start. (Badly designed as well, for that matter!). Sad to say that I'm not surprised at the mess that it's now in. If it wasn't a conspiracy to inflict this scheme on Poynton, it must have been a cock-up...

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Whoever on CEC or PTC who approved this scheme should either own up to it or resign now, presumably they are still on the councils. I believe that the instigator of the project still sits on PTC.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 pm

The man you want to talk to is Cllr Howard Murray. He was the mastermind behind this superb - if rather shoddily constructed - scheme. I occasionally remember with horror the days when there were traffic lights at Fountain Place, queues in the rush hour extending back to the A555, and taking my life into my hands attempting to cross at Fountain Place anywhere except on the north side. Yes, let's bring back the "good old days".

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Ned's, since the removal of the traffic lights at Fountain I have sat in traffic Q's going back to the rail bridge on Chester road, and seen Q's as far as the old little chief on London road. and I believe that there are regular long Q's coming into Poynton from Hazel Grove. Recently a taxi driver told me, ( He traveled into Poynton sometime three maybe four time a day ) that in his opinion the traffic situation since the building of the shared space has made no difference to the traffic chaos that some times happens. I applaud the share space scheme it is a vast improvement on the mess that Poynton had become, but I fail to see why CEC and PTC failed to see the problems that have arisen with unregulated and un policed parking by not only cars but large delivery vehicles on the pedestrian areas of the shared space in Park lane.

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Much slower & longer Q’s on London Rd in both directions since lights went as it’s now single lane in each direction. Crossing at the lights was much safer then than now with the Russian roulettte of is that driver aware it’s shared space??

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm

It will come as no surprise that I disagree with both of those statements. How on earth anybody can say that crossing at the main crossroads was much safer when there were lights defeats me. Nowadays I have no difficulty crossing, and nine out of ten drivers are only to happy to stop and let me cross. When there were lights - with the exception of the crossing on the north side when the green man was showing - it was a case of wait for a gap in the traffic, then hare across as fast as possible otherwise you risked being mown down by a turning vehicle - which of course had the right of way as their light was green.

As for the queues, in the case of Chester Road, I can't remember the last time the queue it extended back as far as the Bird Estate (except when they have put in temporary traffic lights). Before shared space it was a regular occurrence, particularly in the rush hour. The argument about it being slower on London Road because there used to be two lanes is a bit spurious, as there was only one lane until you reached the lights. The right turn lane southbound was so short that people going straight on couldn't get through because cars in front couldn't turn right.

But I'll never convince you will I?

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:40 am

Rubbish Neds, Q's much longer now & takes ages to get along London Rd(speaking from experience unlike you) I used to cross when lights were on RED. It used to be 2 lane from Lightnin Mixers to Towers Lodge!!!!!

Tony471

Postby Tony471 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am

At the end of the day , I am a fan of shared space , people complain to me about the roundels, my answer "slow down and indicate" I think Park Lane looks fantastic with everyone sat outside the bars etc (helped by a wonderful summer) , my only gripe is cars and vans parked everywhere.

recently friends and colleagues have come into Poynton and championed it and said what a marvellous place it is to visit, and I cannot disagree

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:41 am

I'm with Neds on this one. It's much better since the shared space was completed. Fewer queues and easier to cross the road. Park Lane has been rejuvenated. All this whilst traffic levels have increased dramatically. Some on here seem to have selective memories.

The destruction of the stone paves by the utility companies is deplorable and I am surprised that they cannot be compelled to replace like with like. Surely the council have the powers to recharge for replacing the stones?

bandib

Postby bandib » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 am

I've got to agree that traffic flows much better now.
However there are times when it is inexplicably backed up for no apparent reason.
One other factor that no one has mentioned is that traffic levels have almost certainly risen in this time so more is passing through the area than when the lights were there.

Return to “Poynton Forum”