Black Tarmac

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

nowthensithe

Re: Black Tarmac

Postby nowthensithe » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:40 pm

I sat for 30 minutes at the bus stop near Panache. Waiting for the bus. Traffic was flowing smoothly and yes it was a busy time of the day. Therefore must agree that the flow of traffic is much better than with traffic lights.

Simply if drivers would indicate at the roundels it would be much better. Returning to lights is a retrograde step.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Three weeks ago the government told councils to pause the development of any new shared space schemes which are under consideration or being designed. Particularly strong representations have been coming from the RNIB concerned that people wi th eyesight difficulties are less able or willing to use town centres where the schemes exist. Lack of kerbs seems to be a key issue. The Poynton experience where some drivers seem to think that shared space without kerbing means shared pavements provides a case in point. It is time for the sloppy enforcement to be remedied, even if it makes certain lunchtime takeaways unhappy,

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:50 am

It was pointed out to PTC Councillors before and whilst the shared space was being constructed that if a fast food / Coffee take away, ( eg Greggs & Costa ) was on Park lane vehicles will park outside it especially during breakfast time and lunch time and close to it badly. This happens in towns all over the country where ever there is a fast food outlet. More thought should have been given to where vehicles are to park when it was known that this would happen. Some people do use common sense and park in the old Coop car park, when you can find a place to park. what will happen when Poynton loose that car park is not worth thinking about. Surely parking could be controlled on Park Lane. perhaps a notice in the windows of various retail outlets asking drivers to park with a little regard to fellow pedestrians and motorists ? or, and I believe this would be contentious double yellow lines ! put out side these premises. This would probably be no more of an eye saw than the black tarmac that is being laid at the moment.

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:46 pm

The look of the shared space is nice but as a shared space scheme it doesn't work as there are too many inconsiderate drivers and it was poorly designed with slippy bricks in the rain, bus stops in the wrong place (disabled accessible bus stops went out of the window), the grids are a botch job and the central reservation does absolutely nothing to help pedestrians and they stop emergency veichles getting though.

Shared space schemes now appear to be out of favour after disability campaigning and for good reason. Preston was thankfully the turning point.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am

When I saw it all being dug up I just knew it was going to be replaced with tarmac!

The people who seem to moan most about the shared space scheme seem to be those who want to drive a car through a busy town with small roads at rush hour without any hindrance whatsoever. That is never going to happen, so why not make the area better for the people who actually live, work and shop here, instead of those who just want to drive through? It has successfully met all the criteria it was asked to. And just like any road scheme, it is possible to learn from any unforeseen problems.

The traffic is not any worse at rush hour than it was before, and outside of rush hour it is better because you are not held up by traffic lights.

Government have been lobbied by the RNIB, and especially Lord Holmes of Richmond, to re-evaluate the design guidelines of shared space, so they have paused them pending that, which sounds fair enough. They want changes, not to stop them completely. The main change they want is higher kerbs and more contrast in the colours of the road and pavement. There are lots of arguments both for and against that, but ultimately, if you are to make it genuinely 'shared' and accessible for all you need to give better crossing opportunities for wheelchairs, pushchairs, walking frames etc. You can only do that with many more crossings and many more drop-kerbs. At the crossings the road has to be coloured the same as the pavement, because remember the point is to get people to think differently. It is no longer a case of pedestrians crossing a road, it is the other way round - drivers need to be aware that they are crossing a path and behave appropriately.

In my opinion the best way to help visually impaired people is to do something similar to near the post office, i.e. put planters or seats between the moving cars and the pavement, and get rid of random clutter like sandwich boards and unfenced cafe seats. The crossing points could perhaps have had two-tone bricks as well, to make a pseudo zebra crossing, much like the current Beeline proposals in Greater Manchester. The only time I've seen a blind person confused in Poynton since the shared space was built is when I had to help him get out from being trapped between parked cars, a seat, a wall, and a table and not being able to figure out the way through! Nothing to do with the new road design, just thoughtless business owners and members of the public.

Amadeus

Postby Amadeus » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Desmo Man wrote:Surely parking could be controlled on Park Lane. perhaps a notice in the windows of various retail outlets asking drivers to park with a little regard to fellow pedestrians and motorists ? or, and I believe this would be contentious double yellow lines ! put out side these premises.

Signs in windows, yellow lines or even bollards would not make the slightest bit of difference to the people who park this way. That's shown by what happens on the yellow lines outside Morrisons, and outside the Co-op on School Lane. People park on the yellow lines there, or even in the disabled space, even when there are free spaces just a bit further along. They would continue to park outside Greggs etc, even if there were yellow lines there, and if there were bollards they would just park in the road causing even more of an obstruction.

These people are just lazy, selfish and inconsiderate, and nothing will stop them parking wherever they want. You see it everywhere, not just in Poynton.

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 am

Amadeus is correct - take for instance yesterday. A 4x4 parked half on the pavement and road at the corner of Waitrose and Vernon. Totally inconsiderate but who cares I will go where I want.

tankie615

Postby tankie615 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 am

The parking restrictions in Poynton should be formalised by law and the appropriate advice posted tidily on lampposts. I'm not even sure if it is against the law to park in certain places in Park Lane.
Any law will be flouted unless it is ENFORCED. We need a dedicated individual to enforce the law continually in our town, to show the Me-Me's of this world that at least, here we care about our safety.
I am sick of having to give way to oncoming traffic in Queensway because the carriageway has been reduced by a long line of parked cars on the shops side. Empty 'Disabled' bays yawn empty just 20 metres away!! Apologies to those unfortunately unable to walk short distances.
Had a confrontation with a huge 4x4 this week in Wilmslow, the lady driver tried to blatantly intimidate me to give way to her with the obstruction on her side. Normally I would give way, just to get the sad individual out of my life quickly. This time I stuck to my guns, after much gesticulation and swearing she reversed for me. Childish of me I know, but sometimes you have to stand your ground.
It's sad, that somewhere maybe a partner and family have to endure the attitude of these twerps, so self centred so self opinionated to not consider anyone else.

Amadeus

Postby Amadeus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:10 pm

tankie615 wrote:The parking restrictions in Poynton should be formalised by law and the appropriate advice posted tidily on lampposts. I'm not even sure if it is against the law to park in certain places in Park Lane.
Any law will be flouted unless it is ENFORCED. We need a dedicated individual to enforce the law continually in our town, to show the Me-Me's of this world that at least, here we care about our safety.

Apparently we have 2 full-time enforcement officers now. But unless they're on the spot when the offence occurs (and lasts more than a few minutes), offenders will get away with it.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Amadeus wrote:.... and if there were bollards they would just park in the road causing even more of an obstruction......

Like lorries “correctly” :? parked on the road between the offloading markers. Other motorists would prefer them to park on the pavement and be “considerate” 8-) 8-) to drivers.
Not much can be done to improve Park lane to please everyone.:( It’s too narrow for any sensible scheme. Nowt more than a tarted up carthorse track.

Return to “Poynton Forum”