Poynton Railway Station - The New Rules Regarding Ticket Purchase

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

turdo170

Poynton Railway Station - The New Rules Regarding Ticket Purchase

Postby turdo170 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:45 am

Hi All,
Just a quick word to remind anyone paying by cash for your train fare at Poynton station when the ticket office is closed that you need to obtain a promise to pay.

To get this you need to select your destination and ticket > confirm purchase then select I don't have a payment card. You will then be issued with a promise to pay. This is valid for 4 hours.

Likewise if you want a ticket that isn't available or a destination not listed - THIS INCLUDES A NORTHERN DUO then you should either get a single to your interchange station or a promise to pay. You can obtain a promise to pay in this circumstance even if you are paying by card (The promise to pay says you can't pay by card but this is specifically intended for fare dodgers who only paying if challenged).

When you get to your interchange station (interchange stations should be a Northern penalty fare station like Manchester Piccadilly, Stockport, Macclesfield or Stoke on Trent to avoid having to obtain a refund via enquiries@northernrailway.co.uk) you can then part pay for a new ticket using your existing one or get a refund if you have overpaid, as a result of the ticket you want not being available. You may be able to do this on the train although guards can only sell a limited range of tickets.

I would personally recommend obtaining a promise to pay in all instances rather than a single to your interchange to avoid overpaying.

If there are two people travelling then obtain 2 promise to pay vouchers just in case , even if you want a Northern Duo (which is technically one fare for two people as one of the tickets is a £0.00 fare). This isn't specifically documented anywhere but would be the best course of action to avoid falling fowl of the rules.

If the ticket machines are out of service or not working I would recommend taking a picture or video as evidence. Report any defects to @northernassist on twitter .

Sam12

Re: Poynton Railway Station - The New Rules Regarding Ticket Purchase

Postby Sam12 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:57 pm

To an infrequent rail traveller this all sounds like Greek to me. Are they trying to put people off travelling by train.

With complicated, infrequent and sporadic bus routes within Poynton now this roulette with train ticket machines it is no wonder there are so many cars on the road.

Are public transport companies intent on keeping us all captive within the village?

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:15 am

Yes - Indeed, as is said, complicated for some. In a world where technology is king it is easy to say take a photo/video of the machine. There are those within the village who either do not have or do not want a mobile device. Their word against the machine.

gavin

Postby gavin » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:32 am

So can we not get on the train and pay either on the train or at the other end as before?

Gavin

POYNTONIAN 1

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:32 pm

NO

turdo170

Postby turdo170 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:17 pm

gavin wrote:So can we not get on the train and pay either on the train or at the other end as before?

Gavin

No you must have a ticket or a promise to pay.

A promise to pay should only be obtained if you are paying by cash or if the ticket you want isn't available.

If you have a promise to pay outside the above or do not have one you will be charged a penalty fare.

If the machines are both broken then you can buy at the first opportunity but might come in for challenge if the machine fault hasn't been reported to revenue staff.

It is unclear if a promise to pay can be used if the ticket office is open although unusually they are available. I would advise people not use promise to pay whilst the ticket office is open.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:19 pm

What a confusing mess it all is. :?

Sam12

Postby Sam12 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 pm

I agree, it is very confusing.

Why would you use Poynton station and all this faffing about? Why not just drive to Hazel Grove where there is a manned ticket office? :evil:

When people start to get penalty fines because they can't just simply buy a flippin' ticket the powers that be will ask why no one is using Poynton station.

toboggan

Postby toboggan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 pm

And then close it??

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:36 pm

The ticket office was closed today so everyone had to use the super-slow machines and there was a queue. One family was stressed because they'd seen the posters, the train was arriving, there was no chance they'd be able to navigate the complexities of buying 5 returns and figuring out various combinations of railcard, child ticket, Duo etc, and they'd have to wait an hour if they didn't have a ticket or 'promise', thus missing an appointment. I think they got on anyway, trying their luck.

The default price that comes up is the 'anytime' return, even when it is within the off-peak time. I noticed that most people just used that and were being overcharged (yes I did step in once I noticed, I'm not that anti-social). It probably says in the small print somewhere that if you press a not overly-obvious sequence of 4 or 5 buttons you can get an off-peak ticket, but most people hadn't used the machines before and were in a rush, or perhaps didn't even know that you could get the cheaper ticket if they were not regular travellers.

Bit of a shambles really. Can't help thinking it is just a money-making exercise, rather than a way to punish fare-dodgers.

Return to “Poynton Forum”