A6MARR set to open to traffic in early October

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Amadeus

Re: A6MARR set to open to traffic in early October

Postby Amadeus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:49 am

Which?

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:10 pm

Whose Relief? Road.
The lack of road works will be the only relief.

Aceman

Postby Aceman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:46 pm

They were testing the traffic lights at the brookside at lunchtime, total chaos. Queuing back through the lights at the five ways.
When the lights were on green at the fiveways they were still on red at the brookside so you never moved
Why they never put a roundabout at the brookside is a mystery to me.
When the so called relief road opens be prepared for huge queues approaching the brookside fiveways and jacksons lane what a farce this road will be.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Aceman wrote:They were testing the traffic lights at the brookside at lunchtime, total chaos.

I predicted this some time ago. I think I said that the lights at A6MARR and Fiveways needed to be very carefully phased otherwise there woudd be gridlock during busy periods.
Aceman wrote:Why they never put a roundabout at the brookside is a mystery to me.

During the consultation phase, they provided a list of alternatives. The alternatives for this junction were a link road leading from A6MARR just west of the current junction to London Road North just north of Anglesey Drive, and a traffic light controlled crossroads. I suspect that there would have been insufficient room for a roundabout due to the proximity of housing and the garden centre. The best option - a grade separated junction - was not offered as a choice. Certainly there would have been major issues given the closeness of Norbury Brook. You can find more detains on page 12 of this document.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:17 pm

I think I may have mentioned it before on this forum, so apologies if I am repeating myself, but with Woodford Road the options were either a) junction or b) no junction. I think that 'no junction' should have been an option here too, as there is not really much extra benefit to having a junction here, and it will obviously delay the existing routes whatever configuration it has. Still, we have what we have.

Having recently walked across this junction (from Hazel Grove P+R - it was 6:30 and the tremendous Poynton bus service had already stopped for the evening) I am already wincing at the prospect of doing that in the future. I reckon that if you are unlucky you might have 4 stages just to cross 1 road, and 6 or 7 if you are trying to cross diagonally. Coupled with the equally walker-unfriendly Five Ways junction it really acts as a barrier between Poynton and Hazel Grove. Foot/cycle bridges would have been better but then that is the case all along this road. No real thought for anything other than motor traffic - and even then not that much thought. :roll:

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 pm

They have now opened the new western section bypassing Ringway Road. This ends at traffic lights at Styal Road.The result was fairly predictable I'm afraid - gridlock. The queue started on Ringway Road West. It then took ten minutes to reach the traffic lights, and a further five minutes waiting for the red light to turn green. And this is before the additional traffic which will undoubtedly be attracted to the road when it completely opens.

So it would appear that we can expect gridlocked junctions at both ends of A6MARR. when it finally opens.

Yes you are correct about the options for Woodford Road. Why anybody thought that a staggered junction was even worth considering beats me. Perhaps because it would have been cheaper than an underpass? And as for no junction at the A523, I take it that you don't live on the west side of Poynton. The traffic on Chester Road is bad enough already, thank you very much.

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 am

nedsram wrote:Yes you are correct about the options for Woodford Road. Why anybody thought that a staggered junction was even worth considering beats me. Perhaps because it would have been cheaper than an underpass? And as for no junction at the A523, I take it that you don't live on the west side of Poynton. The traffic on Chester Road is bad enough already, thank you very much.

I would've thought that most people in Poynton would use the A6MARR to go west towards the A34 and airport, and so join at Chester Road, regardless of whether there is a junction on the A523. I can't imagine most people going west would drive a couple of miles or more out of their way, just to sit in the Macclesfield Road traffic jam, and then drive round the outside of Poynton. Much quicker to drive directly via Chester Road most of the time, unless you happen to live in the posh houses.

EDIT: Ah, I've just reread my last sentence. I get why it is there now.

Obviously some might go east towards High Lane and join at A523, but it won't be anything like as many, and I bet most of them will still use Middlewood Road - or if they do live on the west side of Poynton then they will use the Chester Road junction too.

Most people in Hazel Grove could join it at the A6.

emar07

Postby emar07 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:56 pm

I wonder if we’re all getting ahead of ourselves anticipating the chaos at the various entrances/exits for the A6MARR. There are likely to be short-term teething troubles sorting out the traffic light timings etc on this and “connected” roads; and maybe slightly longer-term problems as people assess and reassess their best routes. But I suspect that the “we’re doomed” platoon are being unnecessarily pessimistic. I live in the west of Poynton - not “in the posh houses” - and I fully expect to be joining at the A523 junction once things have settled down. (Like many others, I was puzzled by the adopted configuration of the A523 junction – but let’s just give it a chance. Things like this often turn out better than we feared; albeit they not quite be everything we hoped for!)

emar07

Postby emar07 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Sorry - I meant "..they may not quite be.." (I was clearly dismayed when I wrote it". :>)

AndrewJ

Postby AndrewJ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:37 am

I agree - although the new junctions will clearly introduce an extra delay for motorists travelling to Stockport or Wilmslow (as there wasn't any obstruction to traffic flow before) it probably won't be that bad for a while once the cycle of the lights has been sorted. Maybe just an extra 30 seconds to a minute initially with current traffic levels. Bare in mind that the cycle will always favour those who are already on the A6MARR though, rather than those trying to cross it, otherwise what would be the point of a 'bypass'!

However there definitely will be significant extra delay for those who are walking or biking, as there are no bridges and they will be forced to wait for several minutes in total in many cases. As I said in a previous post it is clearly not designed with anything other than cars in mind and actually makes other forms of transport more difficult. This is probably because it is such an old project - most new roads nowadays would have more consideration go into linking the communities they sever.

Return to “Poynton Forum”