A555

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Re: A555

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Should take a leaf from Roman road builders and actually build them OVER the water instead of a cheaper road and a pump with on going maintenance costs.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:31 pm

I was caught in October joining the A555 at the Woodford large roundabout. The first I knew of the water problems was when I reached a back-up of traffic trying to get round the fast growing flood under the bridge on both sides. There was no closure in place at that time. I gather that only happened an hour later. Clearly an interim measure would be to engineer a break in the existing continuous central barriers 100 yards or so each side of the 'usual' flood area below the bridge. That would allow a managed turn around to be in place for traffic to prevent vehicles being marooned or stuck for hours.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:58 pm

A very sensible suggestion.

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm

A ridiculous suggestion. Money should be spent on fixing the root cause of the problem not a sticking plaster solution.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:45 pm

It seems obvious EGCD that you have not been caught up in the inconvenience that the flood on the bypass causes, EG, late for work, late for hospital appointments, job interviews and getting children back and forth to schools. Engineering a break in the central reservation either side of the flooding area would not cost a lot of money and elevate a lot of the problems. And as for CEC fixing the flooding problem,I believe that at the present they do not have a answer !

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:28 pm

No you're right, I haven't been inconvenienced. I think ahead, leave earlier and take an alternative route if I feel that there is any chance of any flooding on the roads that flood frequently.

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:40 pm

Silly billy !

SK121NZ

Postby SK121NZ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:03 pm

In the light of all the recent flooding that has occurred on the now completed SEMMMS project A555 road, I did my own research into their planning applications; specifically those elements that define 'drainage' and 'flood prevention' provision; just in case there is anything that is likely to read across and reoccur within our Poynton Relief Road (PRR).

I have to say that if my findings have any truth or legitimacy to them, then I fear that we may suffer a similar problem at the North end of our PRR in the future !! … especially at it's intersection with the A5149 where the PRR passes underneath (lowered PRR).

I am reassured by the fact that our PRR is a short length of single carriageway, containing largely 'open pond' water collection points; when compared to the A555 which is a 10km dual carriageway surface catchment area, containing largely 'Sealed Carrier Drains' water collection points.

At this stage I should state that my findings are purely my own opinion; based not on any background of road design or construction. In fact I am retired after 39 years in the Fluid Systems Design Office at BAe Systems, Woodford; where we were the Design Authority for both the Victor 'K' and VC10 'K' Flight Refuelling Tankers for the RAF. I have therefore a deal of experience in moving fluids between storage tanks !!

The crux of my findings revolves around the definition of a ‘SEALED CARRIER DRAIN';
... it is a fundamental of fluid dynamics that you cannot move any fluid between two or more sealed containers WITHOUT ADEQUATE VENTILLATION PIPING.
(nb. AIR itself is a fluid, and needs to be displaced before any water can come in or go out of that tank).

I note that the original explanation given after the first occasion that the A555 flooded, was that the pumps as specified were not man enough to cope with the amount of water ! …. I am confident that if there isn't currently adequate ventilation of each tank, then as soon as stack vent pipes are added (sized as required); then I believe you will discover that suddenly those pumps can cope !! …. no pumps would manage with inadequate venting !!!

I have added a slideshow to better explain my thoughts. If you require any further clarification please don't hesitate to contact me (PM me)

458AD8A1-9CDA-4A9E-9402-AF9E9C56AC10.png

756D6CEE-C843-4DD3-B621-3931CBF94F3A.png

F3593E23-A3A6-43E6-BE3D-F566789F74CF.png

F23B24DC-B4C9-41D8-9A6B-D62FA4C3B9C3.png

... basically, if the only way for air to get out of the tank to allow water in - is via BUBBLES, WHICH HAVE TO OVERCOME THE HEAD OF FLOODWATER ABOVE IT ... then this will take several days before the floodwater subsides !!!

87149CAA-7CA1-4194-8047-9C88B60409DA.png

A22F45CD-C4FB-4F6D-B2B9-96B47E8CF8E1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
... please, log yourself in to see any of my pictures ...

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm

You could be right about this (I'm not qualified to comment, but to a layman it seems reasonable), but I'd like to throw in a couple of thoughts:

First, one of the places where water collects and/or pumps appear to be inadequate is around the Hall Moss Lane overbridge. This is on the original stretch of the A555, so how relevant is the drainage strategy for the later stretches that completed the road? Is there a similar document relating to the first phase?

Second, when driving along the A555 last week in or after heavy rain, I noticed water streaming down the north side embankment on to the road, maybe 200m to the east of the Hall Moss Lane bridge. This water was flowing across the carriageway and collecting at the point I've mentioned above. So as well as a road drainage issue, could the problem there be partly due to poor surface water management and/or land drainage immediately to the north of the road?

Desmo Man

Postby Desmo Man » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Thank you SK12, very interesting and informative.

Return to “Poynton Forum”