Car crash at Waitrose junction

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

Reg

Car crash at Waitrose junction

Postby Reg » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:50 am

A car has crashed into the wall at the corner of Park Lane and Buckley Road. The foot doctor will have repairs to sort out to get customers into the premises.

It is a very regular occurrence that cars go too fast at night either up Park Lane or navigating the junction at Bulkeley Road and skid. As there is no pavement to slow the impact of the car they travel further than they would do in a normal street scene.

Not sure what can be done to make that junction safer - just been past and successfully navigated on foot past the parked vehicles around Costa ( can’t walk and drink coffee ) the regular vomit near the Acoustic Lounge and the cars mounting the pavement to get round the junction and into Waitrose.

Accident waiting to happen as the cars at Costa block drivers sight (those coming up Park Lane ) so they can’t see pedestrians waiting at the corner of Waitrose to cross so are already half on the pavement turning into the Civic car park. I am getting good at jumping out of the way

Thankfully this time it was a wall but it could easily be a pushchair next time

POYNTONIAN 1

Re: Car crash at Waitrose junction

Postby POYNTONIAN 1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:11 am

Never cross at a junction, cross at least 3 car lengths away

EGCD

Postby EGCD » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:41 pm

Reg wrote:Not sure what can be done to make that junction safer

I would have thought that was obvious. An entrance to a car park and a minor side road should have no priority whatsoever over Park Lane. Put the road markings back before someone is killed.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:28 am

EGCD wrote:
Reg wrote:Not sure what can be done to make that junction safer

I would have thought that was obvious. An entrance to a car park and a minor side road should have no priority whatsoever over Park Lane. Put the road markings back before someone is killed.

This junction is a nightmare to navigate (worse than the magic roundabout at the fountain less place) the sensible thing to do is put the road markings back all is needed are 2 signs and a few white lines on the floor , sometimes the old and tested ways are best a tin of paint and two sign posts could a least save an accident or even a life.

tarboat

Postby tarboat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:58 am

Never had a problem at that junction. A bit of eye contact and a bit of give and take works wonders. :D

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:23 am

Most drivers especially residents don't have a problem we are used to this junction ,
it is those drivers who are not familiar with this system that can potentially cause an accident.

Opera

Postby Opera » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:12 pm

I thought this was a “shared area”. If so, there won’t be any road marking. I often wonder why there isn’t a mini roundabout at this junction. Again, it defeats the idea of a shared area - which I think is dangerous at any junction. I wonder if anything will ever be done about this problem.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Opera wrote:I thought this was a “shared area”. If so, there won’t be any road marking. I often wonder why there isn’t a mini roundabout at this junction. Again, it defeats the idea of a shared area - which I think is dangerous at any junction. I wonder if anything will ever be done about this problem.

Probably nothing people will just keep banging into each other , it is a few heads that need banging together in the powers that be department to see if there is any common sense before someone else gets hurt.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Those that had it built will never see any problems with it.
Not much hope of a change of admin. We are in one of those Rosette on a Donkey/Pigs bladder on a stick local constituencies.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:51 am

AnotherWhingerLike_U wrote:Those that had it built will never see any problems with it.
Not much hope of a change of admin. We are in one of those Rosette on a Donkey/Pigs bladder on a stick local constituencies.

Some time ago Poynton was awarded the prestigious Golden Cone award for the one of the worst traffic congested area's in the country.
Now we have a regular spot on radio Manchester's traffic report usually reporting how bad the congestion is in Poynton.

No change there then roll on the relief road :roll:

Return to “Poynton Forum”