Car crash at Waitrose junction

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Re: Car crash at Waitrose junction

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:08 pm

I have found it easy to cross at the (properly marked) roundabout in Bramhall. When the traffic is moving slow in the day, drivers will give way to pedestrians without shared space rules in their face.

I get the impression there is very little spare money for modifications /repairs at the moment. And if there was in CE, Poynton would have to get in the queue. Every time I visit Macclesfield and walk along Sunderland street, I marvel at the ever increasing number of artistic shapes of tarmac intermingled with the paving slabs. :D

Opera

Postby Opera » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 pm

I’ve always thought there should be at least a mini roundabout at Waitrose junction. If there is an accident in a shared area, who could make a claim against a driver? Nobody?

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am

This junction or cross roads call it what you will is potentially dangerous, drivers have no idea who has the right of way.
Two give way signs and a tin of paint could save a accident.

Sometimes the tried and tested ways are the best :idea:

tankie615

Postby tankie615 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Shortly after the completion of 'shared Space' I questioned a member of the council regarding the safety of the design of 'Waitrose ' junction.
I was told that it was designed "to make users question priority therefore slowing down"
My experiences when using the junction have been mixed, but largely I have been impressed by drivers on Park Lane giving way to others.
I wonder though, what advice is given to learners by their instructors when approaching the junction to best prepare them for the test?
And importantly, what view do insurance companies take when apportioning blame after a collision?
Having driven in Germany for many years, I have always been impressed by their sensible, clear signing ---- for instance such a junction as discussed would have a small yellow diamond affixed to the lamp posts in Park Lane immediately prior to the junction to advise right of way.
Minor roads would be shown a small schematic of the junction, 'Give Way' a thin line, 'Priority' a thick line. Shimples!!!
Another good idea (boy racers won't agree), picked up in Portugal. Traffic signals on roads plagued with speeding, exceed the limit = lights red,
within the limit = lights green.

Sam12

Postby Sam12 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:37 pm

Anyone who thinks they have priority coming out of Wait rose car park must be insane!

Twice I have got to this junction coming up Park Lane and had someone just drive straight out without hesitation, turn right in front of me and drive down Park Lane.

The first time was a young woman in a 4x4 who just drove straight out and drove off looking right,left,right, left, right left as if she hadn't a clue where she was.

The second time was a man who didn't even hesitate to drive straight out and turn right down Park Lane. He had a belligerent expression on his face and gave me the finger because I dared to beep him!

Luckily on both occasions I wasn't travelling at speed or I wouldn't have been able to stop in time.

Maybe give way signs from the car park would help.

Return to “Poynton Forum”