Bus services

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

yewtreeman

Bus services

Postby yewtreeman » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:44 am

According to a report in the Manc Eve News, MCT are ceasing operations in April. Insufficent revenue from services is the reason given.

lady in purple

Re: Bus services

Postby lady in purple » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Yes, that is correct. Although we are on the fringe of MCT's area of operation, it's deeply worrying for the village - given that this is the third company to cease operations in Poynton in the last 13 years minimum. I would like to hope that Cheshire East will find another operator, but am not holding my breath. Very sad day for those who don't have the option of a car, and those who would like to use their cars less :(

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:25 am

Too state the obvious there are more people out there with their own cars than people without so once again profits/money wins,
in the case of the buses then if enough people don't use them and authorities don't subsidize them then they cannot operate.

Sadly we live in a world where profits come before people :(

aardvark

Postby aardvark » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:02 am

lady in purple wrote:...given that this is the third company to cease operations in Poynton in the last 13 years minimum. I would like to hope that Cheshire East will find another operator, but am not holding my breath.

I can think of four operators in less than 6 years: GHA, High Peak, Selwyns and MCT. The fact that Cheshire East have persisted with the service (albeit with modifications) in spite of such a turnover might indicate a degree of commitment to keeping it going, but you do have to wonder if this will always be the case.

Last May's change of colour at Cheshire East could conceivably have some effect on this, but I don't know what.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:14 am

Five --- Baker Bus before GHA. (Yellow vehicles.)

lady in purple

Postby lady in purple » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:59 pm

While I was out in the village today enjoying my essential shopping/permitted exercise, an MCT bus shot down Chester Road past me. He didn't appear to have any passengers, but that may not be unusual. Could be an extremely late-running bus, or a dedicated employee trying to keep an asset away from the administrator - or maybe the service has had a stay of execution :roll: :roll: Any thoughts ?

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:01 pm

As from Monday 20th April the 391/2 service is being suspended by Cheshire East.
Not forgetting of course that this service is run by Bus companies on behalf of Cheshire East.

nowthensithe

Postby nowthensithe » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:54 pm

I approached our illustrious MP about this four or five weeks ago.

No reply only an acknowledgement referring me to a man at CEC

No reply from him either. Now no bus.

Crazy for a 'Town'.

yewtreeman

Postby yewtreeman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:22 am

At one time there would have been messages from a councillor on here telling us how hard they have been working for the two months notice to get a replacement company to take this on. Presumably it will also hit Pott Shrigley and Bollington badly with no rail links close by. With little scope for travel right now with all the dominant problems it might not be seen as urgent. TFGM have already found alternative operators for several MCT services in their area.

Return to “Poynton Forum”