Unsolicited Phone Calls

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Cheshire Cat

Unsolicited Phone Calls

Postby Cheshire Cat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Has anyone else been inundated recently from callers saying that they are "in the area" or "working just around the corner"? We have had them selling Wireless House Security, Home Improvements and today someone asking us to test mattresses. :o We are registered with the Telephone Preference Service but these are slipping through the net :(
We are also getting daily telephone calls from an International caller which has gone on for months now which are ignoring. Initially we did pick it up but it must be an auto-dialler as there is no-one at the other end.

pringle

Re: Unsolicited Phone Calls

Postby pringle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Cheshire cat I have just put the phone down yet again, this last one was an international call for a home survey , you know is from far and wide ,always a delay before they speak ,we are also registered with the T C P maybe give them a call and asked them how these call are slipping through the net

Adamski

Postby Adamski » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

There's a company in Heaton Mersey who are behind all this - SAS Fire and Security Systems

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2085601

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:34 pm

We had a call from a company "in Stoke" about a "police sponsored security awareness campaign" or some such. After a 5 minute spiel (which I listened to mainly out of curiosity) I said no thanks. Apparently "selected residents" would have a free radio controlled security system, plus a "state of the art" smoke alarm, installed, only having to pay the installation cost of around £200.

We're registered with TPS, but it doesn't seem to stop these people.

Cheshire Cat

Postby Cheshire Cat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 pm

That is one we had nedsram so they must be targeting the area. :(

The one we had today was from Jamie from a company in Leeds. When asked twice which company, he said it was Dreamland. They were on our road tomorrow asking folk to test their mattresses. :lol: He seem quite put out when I said we were interested. :roll:

topgunhorse

Postby topgunhorse » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:11 pm

How wierd was that. I was reading this post and the phone rang.It was an automated message regarding credit card interest rates.
Just to state the obvious, never discuss your movements which could give a clue as to when your home is unoccupied

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 pm

If you want to get rid of thethe telesales mob quickly, just do what I do.
Ask for their full names, then ask for correct address that you should submit your claim for £200 as damages for unsolicited phone calls. :twisted:
The phone will go dead immediately.

I have never yet had another phone call from the same company. :lol:

Dog walker

Postby Dog walker » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had an international call from a young woman with a strong foreign accent claiming to be a Microsoft employee and saying that they thought I was having problems with my computer and that they wanted to sort it out. As I am not aware of any problem with my computer I said no and put the phone down.
Now and again my computer asks me to send an error report to Microsoft which I do and they frequently send updates . So I can't see why they would need to phone me. I wondered if this has happened to anyone else.

BT told me that they can't screen international calls because they don't know the source. As we occasionally get such calls from friends it means we have to answer everyone.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:13 pm

Dog walker wrote:A couple of weeks ago I had an international call from a young woman with a strong foreign accent claiming to be a Microsoft employee and saying that they thought I was having problems with my computer and that they wanted to sort it out.

That's a well known scam. How would they know?

Willie Eckerslyke

Postby Willie Eckerslyke » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Dog walker wrote:A couple of weeks ago I had an international call from a young woman with a strong foreign accent claiming to be a Microsoft employee and saying that they thought I was having problems with my computer and that they wanted to sort it out.

This scam is rife and Microsoft have posted a warning about it (and others):
http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx
The ploy is to convince you that you need help, then get you to hand over your credit card details to pay for the fix for the non-existent problem.

Dog walker wrote:I said no and put the phone down.

Spot on response, no discussion.

Return to “Poynton Forum”