Unsolicited Phone Calls

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

ma-ogy

Re: Unsolicited Phone Calls

Postby ma-ogy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:56 am

The way to deal with unsolicited phone calls is simply put the phone down , I had one this week from a well known energy company and I broke my own rules and spoke to the guy , I politely said to him that I was not interested then he tried to gently bully me into changing my supplier , I just put the phone down.

I also got a recorded message to say that I have won a holiday in Cancun , needless to say I wont be packing my suitcase

Another way is to let the answer machine pick up the call before you answer usually if its a bogus call they just ring off.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:56 pm

We now monitor the caller id and if this has been withheld we no longer answer. If it's really important they can leave a message, but they never do.

Cheshire Cat

Postby Cheshire Cat » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:08 pm

My OH had another caller this morning selling Cavity Wall Installation, this time he asked how she had got my telephone number and knew the road we lived on. She said it was from the National Data Base. Surely the TPS would monitor that. :x

Withheld numbers, we have found, are usually Doctors so tend not to ignore them now.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:27 am

I've just had a call from 02080997526. A man with a strong Indian accent. He asked for me by name. When I said "who's calling please" he promptly hung up, which is what made me suspicious. A quick Google revealed that this is the "Microsoft technical support" scam. If they call you, just hang up (or don't answer the phone if it displays the number).

boatmanckp

Postby boatmanckp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 pm

I have a new way of dealing with these pests. I say hang on I am going on the other phone, I just put it down and leave it, after a while, a loud tone type noise come down the phone and I put it back on the cradle. How long they hang on is up to them its costing them not me! they dont bother to ring back. I have noticed a steep reduction in this type of call.TPS is not effective at all and is a waste of time.CKP

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:52 pm

I had a similar phone call a couple of weeks ago ,I made the mistake of answering they told me that there was a problem with my internet connection , I became suspicious when they asked questions that they should have known the answer too if they were genuine,I just put the phone down at this stage.

Thanks for the number Ned its one to watch out for.

pringle

Postby pringle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:01 pm

There is an other scam doing the rounds at the moment the number is 02070603887 I have has three calls in two days of these ,it's all to do with if you have been sold P P I protection ,if you goggle there number you can see how many people have complained about this lot.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Over the last couple of weeks we have received 4or5 scam phone calls claiming to be from various sources including BT & Talktalk Virgin also a couple claiming to be from broadband technical services.
The conversation usually goes something like this , Hello Mr ----- there is a problem with your router which needs urgent attention it is causing serious problems , then they ask you to turn on your computer then they tell you what to do , if you follow these instructions you would give them remote access to your computer. if you get any phone calls like this JUST PUT THE PHONE DOWN.

Todays call claimed to be from BT a person with a foreign accent said that my broadband would be terminated immediately unless :?:
I didn't listen any further I just told them where to go and put the phone down, apart from the obvious reason the other reason my provider isn't BT.

We live in a world where there are lots of people trying to relieve us of our hard earned cash by devious means , if it sounds dodgy it usually is.

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:47 pm

I’ve had one of those “About the Windows computer in the home” :shock:

The other nuisance is emails (claiming to be an invoice) with a document or spreadsheet enclosure that contain a macro virus/ Trojan.
A recent email claiming to be from a company in Kendal made Outlook request the installation of Chinese language fonts. :D :mrgreen:

WigleyWoggled

Postby WigleyWoggled » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 am

At least you all had someone to talk too.

I've been getting a call where nobody answers, so I wait, still noboddy answers. One day after waiting some time a voice suddenly said "goodbye"!!

How disappointing! Not even any heavy breathing! :roll:

Return to “Poynton Forum”