Unsolicited Phone Calls

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

AnotherWhingerLike_U

Re: Unsolicited Phone Calls

Postby AnotherWhingerLike_U » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Bogus calls usually cut off after 3 rings as the don’t want to talk to the answer machine. Is funny when the answer machine is talking to their PPI claim recorded message. :mrgreen:

Then of course medical and emergency services have no caller id. Some are very awkward with their cloak and dagger attitude that only the person they want to speak to must know who they are.
The shock if I ever found out that they ever visited a doctor. I also have my suspicion they secretly use a toilet.

Telephone companies are to blame for unwanted calls. They want calls to be answered; it’s how they make money. And make more money by selling you a call screening phone.
Why have telephone companies like BT made it possible to spoof a caller ID using VOIP giving the impression it’s a local call. https://www.fakemyphone.co.uk/

New technology that should have made life easier is a misery. The UK telephone system is in a disgraceful “money grabbing” mess.

ma-ogy

Postby ma-ogy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:03 pm

The reason I raised this topic again was due to the present increase in bogus phone calls as a warning to those people who are not familiar with scam phone calls .
People who are aware of these unsolicited calls know how to deal with them but there could be people out there who don't :!:

redpig

Postby redpig » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:42 pm

You can report nuisance calls (automated and live) and text messages to the Information Commissioners Office here; https://ico.org.uk/concerns/nuisance-calls-and-messages/.

They build up intelligence to impose monetary penalties on the marketing firms doing this.

For the Microsoft type scams these can also be reported to Action Fraud.

They will take details of fraud, attempted fraud or cyber crime and give you a Crime Ref. No. If you've received a potential scam message or computer virus but no money has been lost or you haven’t responded to it they also can be reported.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

albertthefrog

Postby albertthefrog » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:56 pm

I found out I could have BT Call Protect free of charge-this diverts the unsolicited calls to a "junk" mail box-works like a dream--not had a dodgy call since it started a month ago

Lily

Postby Lily » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:12 pm

With Call Protect from BT and you get a call from, for example, a window company - and you don't want them to contact you again you can add them to a blacklist.
Dead simple - you just dial 1572 and you are asked if you want to add the last number to the blacklist.
You can also take numbers off your blacklist - if you so wish!
You can also check for any junk messages that Call Protect have automatically diverted.
It's great!!

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Adding the calling number to a blacklist is of limited use. The outfit that regularly does battle with my answering machine (the first words recorded are always "yes, that's right!") comes up as a different number every time. And I've had calls apparently from 0161 numbers which come up as number unobtainable if I try to return the call.

Also be aware that some "suspicious" calls may be genuine - such as an automated call from MRI about an appointment, or a call from your bank about suspected fraud on your card.

Return to “Poynton Forum”