the Grange, South Park Drive

Post comments on local Poynton issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

fedup

the Grange, South Park Drive

Postby fedup » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 pm

According to a planning advertisement (planning application 11/3085M) tied to a lamppost on South Park Drive, a developer wishes to knock down the lovely old manor house known as The Grange and build 10 sweedish style houses!!

Anyone who has any knowledge of the historical building or the protected woodland should write to object ASAP as the publicity end date is 7 October.

zzippy

Re: the Grange, South Park Drive

Postby zzippy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

fedup wrote:According to a planning advertisement (planning application 11/3085M) tied to a lamppost on South Park Drive, a developer wishes to knock down the lovely old manor house known as The Grange and build 10 sweedish style houses!!

Anyone who has any knowledge of the historical building or the protected woodland should write to object ASAP as the publicity end date is 7 October.

The planning bit http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/swi ... M&backURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a> > <a href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=1125402%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=apnkey:desc%26DispResultsAs=wphappsresweek1%26BackURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a>'>Search Results</a>

It all looks very appealing http://planning.cheshireeast.gov.uk/swi ... M&backURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a> > <a href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=1125402%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=apnkey:desc%26DispResultsAs=wphappsresweek1%26BackURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a>'>Search Results</a>

http://www.mouseprice.com/property-info ... Park-Drive
Don't know how true the little comment added in 2010 is :?:

http://www.cdrex.com/dino-developments-ltd-4010664.html

I hope we don't get lot's of pointless Nimby ( i can't afford one )objections about Knocking down a 90 year old house and building something more enviromentally friendly and carbon neutral in it's place :shock:

topgunhorse

Postby topgunhorse » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Good luck to Mr Grimshaw (according to the link) who has submitted the preposal. He has however overlooked the fact that no one will buy any of the houses he builds, when they find out that plebs park near their new home when "Brass and Queen" perform in the park.
"Historical" building? Is it listed?

ScoobyDoo

Postby ScoobyDoo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Good luck to him, although I can imagine the out cry from the neighbours on South Park and Lakeside and at Wenning.

Bigsmile72

Postby Bigsmile72 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:54 am

topgunhorse wrote:Good luck to Mr Grimshaw (according to the link) who has submitted the preposal. He has however overlooked the fact that no one will buy any of the houses he builds, when they find out that plebs park near their new home when "Brass and Queen" perform in the park.
"Historical" building? Is it listed?

He is well aware of what happens around these events, as he is a lifelong resident of Poynton and grew up and owns said house. Whether the proposal will actually go ahead is anyones guess, but as its his house, I guess he can do what he likes to it.

Also you will find property around Poynton Pool does have a tendency to sell in short period of time. Property here is purchased for the plot, not the property itself. Usually get knocked down a rebuilt.

The comment in the link regarding its value of between 7.5 to 10 Million, ain't far off the mark ;)

Bigsmile72

Postby Bigsmile72 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:37 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:Good luck to him, although I can imagine the out cry from the neighbours on South Park and Lakeside and at Wenning.

Don't forget the neighbours on Waters Reach.

My personal view is it would be sad to see it go and be replaced with a number of houses. If anything, I feel it would be better, if it had to be demolished, a new large house would be built in its place. Just as long as it wasn't being built to the specs of a footballer with zero taste.

Bigsmile72

Postby Bigsmile72 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Abit of History about The Grange.

From 1874 until 1883 Richard Christy of the hatmaking firm in Stockport rented the Towers and was instrumental with Lord Vernon in 1873 in bringing some employment for girls who trimmed hats in a workshop in London Road South for the main factory. Members of the Vernon family stayed there when visiting Poynton. Next the Dowager Lady Vernon (the 5th Lord Vernon's second wife) lived there for a time as directories for 1888 and 1890 show. In the early 20th century Commander Algernon Horatio Anson and the Honourable Adela lived there until 1911 when as we will find later the young 8th Lord Vernon was obliged to sell much of the western part of his estate including the Towers. At the sale on 20 September the Towers was purchased by Walter Bright Hodgkinson, JP, Chairman of the prominent cotton firm, the Hollins Mill Go, of Marple, including Poynton Pool and its surrounding park with the Park and Anglesea Lodges, amounting to 131 acres.

The Park is described in the sale catalogue as a famous beauty spot, stretching away from the mansion and profusely timbered with limes, oaks and copper beeches and the lake as famous for its fishing, bordered by a walk nicely screened by a plantation of oak and copper beeches and various shrubs with a boathouse (still there).

Hodgkinson continued to reside at the Towers till 1926 when he moved to the south of England. The whole property was then acquired by Waiter Henry Torkington, head of Sutton and Torkington's hat works in Stockport. Again a decision was made to abandon the existing mansion, this time the Towers, and build a modern mansion, the Grange, still there, now off South Park Drive. The directories of 1928 and 1934 state that the Towers was left unoccupied. The Grange took in the King Pool and part of the Towers gardens. Proposals by Mr. A.H. Kay of Alderley Edge to turn the Towers into a country club failed in the hard times of the 1930s. In November 1936 the Amalgamated Building Go. (proprietor Mr. Gold) acquired the site from Torkington and pulled down most of the buildings. He was a speculative builder with many other projects, for example in Stockport, and did not build in Poynton for many years, though he managed to sell some of the outbuildings.

Taken from the site http://www.brocross.com/poynton/book/append.htm

topgunhorse

Postby topgunhorse » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:40 am

I receive this by e mail this morning.

"I am Desmond Chan, an attorney at law in Malaysia. A deceased client of mine,who shares the same last name as yours died as the result of a heart-related condition.

I can be reached on (desmondchuong@postafiok.hu) for more information.My late client has a deposit of US17.5 M left behind.

Best regards,

Desmond Chan Ying Chuong
(Attorney at Law).
Tel: +60126982079 / 01160126982079"

It got me thinking the enormous irony in this statement.
Bigsmile72 wrote: Just as long as it wasn't being built to the specs of a footballer with zero taste.

Isn't that exactly what "The Towers" was in its day?
How fashions change. There is demand for housing but it can't be built. The Grange plot is completely obscured by mature trees that could not be touched. I'd rather have 10 beautiful new homes in Poynton, than 10 flats as being proposed on the corner of Hilton drive and Chester road. Just think of the council tax alone these properties would contibute to the council funds.
Right, I'm off to claim my fortune!

rafiki6

Postby rafiki6 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:51 am

Perhaps the same 'law' by which the Waitrose development could not be stopped will apply to any Grange development. It's an ideal site for a hypermarket.
All it needs is slimy wording by a professional planner and a promise of funding for the making up of Towers Rd. and traffic lights at London Rd., and we're off again. Think of the jobs that would be created!!!!
R

Rostervor

Postby Rostervor » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm

topgunhorse wrote:I receive this by e mail this morning.

"I am Desmond Chan, an attorney at law in Malaysia.................My late client has a deposit of US17.5 M left behind.

Right, I'm off to claim my fortune!

That seems only speculative.
This morning I recieved a letter stating I had definately won £2,768.320.00 on the Australian Lottery. They just want £15 to process the claim.
Letter already in the post back to them. All identity cut out and endorsed
"Do you think we're stupid?"

Return to “Poynton Forum”