Parking fines Woodford road Outside HSBC

Post comments on local Bramhall issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

MrsAhmed

Parking fines Woodford road Outside HSBC

Postby MrsAhmed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Dear All
Has anyone had any experience of being charged £100 for parking fine outside HSBC on Woodford road Bramhall? I was never issued a ticket yet the private company claim I was parked outside for just over 10mins. This is not a council letter but a letter from a civil enforcement company. I wasn't even aware this was a private road? I have had no evidence of a parking offence having occurred. £60/£100 is a lot of money.

Please can you advise if you have had any experience of this?
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tarboat

Re: Parking fines Woodford road Outside HSBC

Postby tarboat » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 pm

groovy

Postby groovy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi I just received the same thing, I didn't see the signs and have just been back to look, I can't believe they can get away with this as they are not on the curb you park against but on the other side,

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:24 pm

When I drove past there the other day, there was a large "pay at meter" sign at the entrance. It really is hard to miss. Unless of course it wasn't there at the time.

Having said that, it's a bit cheeky charging to park there. I often parked there to visit the late lamented Woolworth or get money from the HSBC ATM. And it's awkward both to park and to get out again when you've finished.

The charge of £100 reduced to £60 is also extortionate. I've been done twice over the years by High Peak Council, and had to fork out £35. Refuse to pay on the grounds that the invoice (as it's not a local authority, it's not a fine) is unreasonable and doesn't reflect their loss.

There's a forum you could have a look at: pepipoo.

Towchi

Postby Towchi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Dear All,

I've had a pcn from civil enforcement Ltd stating I had overstayed. I ignored them at first, then they started sending threatening letters requesting payment. The 1st was the initial letter demanding £60 if paid within 30 days, then 2nd letter demanding £100, and finally £140 and threatening legal action. When the 3rd letter came I wrote back using a template from moneysupermarket.com stating the reasons why their request is illegal. The 4 reasons were:

1. PCN received 2 months after the event. Poplar stated it has to be within 14 days.
2. Poor signage. Payment details have to be stated at the pay machine which it isn't.
3. No planning permission to use APNR cameras on that road, therefore gathering public information illegally.
4. Unreasonable charge for overstaying of 5 mins

Having sent the letter it took them just over 1 week to receive a reply stating they have now cancelled the parking ticket.

Hope this helps you if you receive a PCN from parking on that road.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Good. The only way they can force you to pay their invoice (it may look like a PCN but it isn't) is to take you to court and prove that the charge was a reasonable assessment of their loss. As this is unlikely to result in a verdict in their favour in most cases, it rarely happens.

If it really is a council PCN, that' s a legaĺly enforceable fine which you are required by law to pay. Refusal to pay will result in a CCJ and a ruined credit record.

Coley

Postby Coley » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm

I've received a PCN after parking outside Pizza Express a couple of weeks ago. It quotes "Payment not made in accordance with terms displayed on signage".

After reading Towchi's earlier post it seems to me that I can only use points 3 and 4, if they have improved signage, can anyone advise? I parked there on October 13 and the issue date was October 19, so point 1 doesn't apply. Have I still got a case?

At what point should I write back to them?

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 pm

What you have received is in effect an invoice. To enforce it they would have to take you to court and be able to show that the charge was a reasonable reflection of their loss. If you ignore the letter, you will most likely receive a succession of letters increasing the charge and/or threatening further action. These may appear to be from "independent" debt collectors or solicitors, but it's likely that they are all the same people if you dig below the surface. Most likely they will eventually give up, but you can always offer a payment of the original amount "in full and final settlement" if it's clear that they are initiating court proceedings. You could try just ignoring them in the first instance. Have a look at the pepipoo forum to see what other people's experiences has been with the people concerned.

Tiffansy

Postby Tiffansy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am

Hi I just received the same thing, I didn't see the signs and have just been back to look, I can't believe they can get away with this as they are not on the curb you park against but on the other side.

Liberator

Postby Liberator » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:31 am

I just have a ticket for parking there. The ticket machine only put out the last 3 digits of my reg despite typing it all in, they are saying I dont have a valid ticket. May I ask where you got the information that they dont have planning for this APNR camera thanks

Return to “Bramhall Forum”