Travellers on offerton estate

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

kevster35

Travellers on offerton estate

Postby kevster35 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Travellers have set up home on the old dial park site on Offerton estate right at the end of the cow path that runs from sainsburys to Offerton.
I know this forum is for Hazel Grove but i feel it will effect both areas unless dealt with.

I rang Stockport Council in June to report that the iron fencing had been removed and that i had seen caravans hanging around and was informed that it would be investigated straight away, this was not rectified and i rang back and was again told that the issue would be investigated. Now 5 months on my fears have become reality and we have travellers in the area!
Why we pay coubcil tax is beyond me when this could have been prevented by simply securing the site.
Its time to baton down the hatches and be extra vigalent, i know that not all travellers are criminals but it is a proven fact that crime rises in areas where travellers are living.
I rang the council again this evening and they said they were aware of it and they will be issuing a warrant to remove them tommorow which could take weeks.

nedsram

Re: Travellers on offerton estate

Postby nedsram » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm

The council can move them on if they are so minded. A couple of years ago they took over Hollywood Park in central Stockport, but were booted out the next day.

kevster35

Postby kevster35 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am

I have spoken to the council and the police and they have informed me that they need to speak to the land owner of the site , which I'm sure is the council itself!
I wonder how long it would take to move them on if they has set up in Bramhall or wilmslow!!

gavin

Postby gavin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 pm

I heard today that there has been a spate of burglaries in the last few weeks, mainly between 4.30 & 6.00 PM on the big Dean Lane estate, next to the High School in H.G.

Coincidence??

Gavin

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 pm

From what the OP said, the travellers are camped off Cow Lane, which is near Sainsbury's. Dean Lane is too far away for there to be any direct link I would have thought. Interestingly this land is part of the protected route of the Hazel Grove link road to the A6(M), which now looks as if it will never be built.

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”