1960 film of Disley

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

tess

1960 film of Disley

Postby tess » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:42 am

Whilst "surfing" (have I got the lingo right?) came across this short film
of Disley in 1960. Hope it is of interest.

http://www.disley.info/2009/10/29/a-village-story

nedsram

Re: 1960 film of Disley

Postby nedsram » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:49 pm

That's fascinating, thanks. (And I corrected the error in your link.)

grover

Postby grover » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for that and I have just watched it. We have friends here who used to live in Disley and I have mailed the link to them. I know they will enjoy it. Wonder whose cat it was that wandered across the screen.
Born in Hazel Grove"...one of the most famous villages in the county for all manner of wickedness."

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm

thanks - really interesting and so awfully english ! 8-)

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Tess - seems like a vanished age now, with the commentator's strangulated vowels (but then all the BBC people "spewk lake thet" then!), the cars on the road, and the North Western Road Car Company's buses, just like the ones I travelled on as a kid - though the ones shown were new, and the latest models back then ...

Looking at the cars on the road, and the trains, I'd have thought the film was taken just a bit earlier than 1960 - around '57 or '58, perhaps. But memory's a bit unreliable when you try to think back that far!

Fascinating snapshots of Disley history too - mostly completely new to me.
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

lizzie

Postby lizzie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Tess, thanks for that link, lovely little film :clap and welcome to the forum.

John, talking about the North Western buses, do you remember the double decker ones, where on the top deck, the aisle was down the side, not the middle as the Corporation buses. If you were sat next to the window on the long seats and wanted to alight, before the passengers sat next to you, they all had to move into the aisle to enable you to pass. I always tried to get on the back row as it didn't seat so many passengers, therefore it was easier to exit.

Seeing as I am talking about buses, do you remember the whistle being blown every evening at 11.00pm in Mersey Square, to signal the last departures :?:
Happy memories.
Showing my age now, so will stop before I get carried away and go back even further.

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:50 pm

Oh yes, Lizzie, I remember those buses - both the Leylands and the Bristols - and travelled on them hundreds of times. I grew up on the borders of Brooklands, Baguley and Timperley (less than a mile from Adora, incidentally, but, being years younger, she's after my time!) and they were used routinely on our local service into Altrincham.

They had that design so that the overall height of the bus was lower, to enable them to squeeze under more railway or canal bridges. If you sat downstairs on the right-hand side of the aisle, the "depression" created by the upstairs footwell meant that the ceiling was really low, and you could easily clout your head if you were tall. So every seat on that side had a little white or transparent plastic sign that said "Lower your head when leaving the seat". We've got a painting of Mersey Square, viewed from the steps by the Plaza, on our dining room wall which shows one of the Bristol doubledeckers in the old bus station. I never actually heard the 11:00 pm Mersey Square whistle, as I was but a sprog at the time and we were a good way from Stockport, but somehow I know about it - don't know if I heard about it at the time, or some time later.

Those buses were gradually "retired" some time around 1961, if I remember rightly - they were quite old by then, having been bought in the late 1930s, and they'd already been completely rebuilt with new bodywork some time around 1952 (they looked quite different before that was done, but of course they still had the long seats upstairs). If you fancy seeing them again, the Manchester Museum of Transport in Queens Road, Cheetham, has one specimen each of both the Leyland Titan and the Bristol - and the Bristol one arouses particular memories because it's one of the fleet that were based at Altrincham, and so I know I actually travelled on it back in my schooldays. Funny how things stick in your memory - I remember the registration numbers!
Last edited by John Ellis on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adora

Postby Adora » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:15 am

I watched this film the other night but didn't have time to comment. I just wanted to thank Tess for posting it here. It was lovely! :clap

Dunno about the cat Grover but did you spot the size of the old pram in the village centre? My brother used to push me about in one of those, when we were out doing deliveries for my Dad. There was (and still is I think) a HUGE ramp down to the platform at Heald Green train station and my brother used to push me off from the top and let me sail down to the bottom. As an adult, the "what ifs" are just too big to contemplate but as small children, it was the best fun ever!

Anyway, back to the film - lots of new stuff to go and seek when we're out walking with the dog - thanks again Tess.

John, I was 15 when we moved from Heaton Mersey to Timperley...just about the time they re-introduced the trams from Altrincham to Manchester!

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:43 am

You mean when Metrolink "took over" the old British Rail service, Adora? That was long after my time - when I moved away to university, they still had the old, and decidedly rattly, pre-war electric units on the line, with windows that you lowered with a leather strap, pictures of "railway architecture", and two "no smoking" and one "ladies only" compartments per three-car unit. Sounds like something out of the ark now ...

And you could still catch a train to Stockport from near where you lived ...

lizzie

Postby lizzie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks John for the information. I will take myself off to the Museum in Cheetham during the summer, it is on my "to do list".

Some of the trams I remember, as well as the leather window opening straps, had wooden slatted seats that you could move backwards and forwards and also open tops on the upper deck. My Uncle was a conductor on the buses and once gave me a wooden ticket machine. The thick paper tickets were a different colour, depending on the cost of your fare. I loved it and played with it endlessly, occasionally getting my fingers trapped in the springs.

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”