Right, let's talk about security.....

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Adora

Right, let's talk about security.....

Postby Adora » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:22 pm

So, our car was nicked off the drive.

Me and the children upstairs. Husband out for the evening. Back door unlocked because:-

a) I'm stupid.
b) I was in and out to the garage to use the washing machine.
c) The back garden is secure....oh wait.....NO IT ISN'T!!!!
d) Did I mention I'm stupid?

So he/they managed to get around one side of the house, walk in the kitchen door, see key immediately in front of them, take it, leave closing door quietly behind them, walk round to the garage side door, nick me fags off the top of the washing machine (grrrrr), take the keys to the garage door whilst they were at it, jump in to car and drive off.

I heard nowt.

The dog heard nowt (was upstairs with me - barked like mad when the police arrived mind :roll: )

Another friend was burgled on Pineapple Street, same night.

Yet another friend has been having strange calls from a 'security firm' asking lots of questions which he is refusing to answer and they keep offering to come round and assess his premises so they can give him a quote. Apparently, they are phoning every one in the area - odd that because they've not phoned any one else???

So listen up Hazel Grove - SORT YOUR SECURITY NOW! Don't leave it on your 'To Do' list - DO IT NOW!!!!

As you were.

John Ellis

Re: Right, let's talk about security.....

Postby John Ellis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:30 am

Commiserations, Adora. Don't beat yourself up too much, because you're certainly not the only one who doesn't keep the house locked and fortified, with the sort of reflex suspicion of other people that goes with that.

I suppose, inevitably, you will now, though ...
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Adora

Postby Adora » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:17 pm

John, I'm like a woman possessed!

I am now a domestic security expert!

You should see the traps I have laid around my house, my desk is covered in quotes for security fencing etc.

I'll tell you this much - it's true, if a burglar wants to get in, he will. BUT....I'm gonna make damned sure he hurts himself first whilst he's getting in to mine :evil:

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear that :(

Blue Grover

Postby Blue Grover » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Now remember what Kevin did in Home Alone next time hubby goes out!
Seriously, it's a sickner when this happens........is your insurance company playing ball, or are they placing some of the fault onto you?

Adora

Postby Adora » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 am

Insurance are saying we have to wait 28 days minimum before they'll pay out, in case the car is recovered.

In the meantime, they won't give us a hire car (if it was found and needed repairs, they would).

So we're having to shell out for a hire car ourselves and just having to suck it up.

The whole thing is a PITA.

The worst part though, is feeling so vulnerable. They came into our house when my babies were asleep in their beds. My children should feel safe and secure in their own home but they don't and neither do I. It's horrid. :(

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 pm

I thought this was you posting the other day Adora
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 1&nmt=Keys and car stolen during night--Insurance position

Pretty poor though that car security is like it is now so that one of the only ways for lazy workshy scumballs is to hijack people out of their vehicles :evil: .

I thought one of the best ways to deter ***** is to use prickly bushes etc but you'll probably get sued if theiving scumball "diddums" scratches themselves :evil:

Anyone tried these on the top of their fences etc http://www.cactus-products.com/?gclid=C ... lAodmlfiFg

Click on the images tab as well, only prob is throw a coat or something on top and over the thieves come :evil:

After frequent breakins/broken windows in Stockport where i used to park my vehicle in a "previous" existence, i found it easier to leave the interior empty and leave the doors unlocked :| scally's used to root around as usual just saved me a fortune in broken windows and nowt taken, that was in a locked yard with 8ft pallisade fencing all round it :?

The vehicle cost me £50,000 suppose i was glad no one wanted to nick it :lol:, all they took was a cuddly toy :evil:
Last edited by zzippy on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:03 pm

No news of the car yet, I suppose, Adora?

I stick to ancient, unenviable but reliable cars. I learned that the hard way from working in Salford, where car theft is a highly popular pastime with Weaste, Pendleton and Broughton scallies. I used to drive a nice big car, and had a standard security device, but discovered that they know how to disarm those in seconds. Our office cleaner knew on the community grapevine where my car had been burned out, after an afternoon of screeching handbrake turns, before the police did!

The lesson I learned was to stick to small, old cars that no self-respecting scally would want to be seen nicking, in case he lost street cred. with fellow hoodies.

Adora

Postby Adora » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

No, not me posting Zzippy and the original post seems to have been deleted but I got the gist from the rest of the thread. I agreed with quite a lot of what was being said actually - about making keys easily accessable so they don't need to come asking you for them!

The other link, to the pointy fence stuff looks really good actually - not so much for putting off thieves but for keeping a fox out (once a chicken keeper, always a chicken keeper! :oops: ).

No news John - Police phoned to give us an update and the update was....."We've not found your car yet..."! :lol:

The problem I have is a matter of principle - WHY should we get a knackered auld car (like we've always had!!!). Why should we let these scroates dictate our decisions? Of course, I know why but it's just so blardy unfair <wails>.

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:37 am

Adora wrote:Why should we let these scroates dictate our decisions? Of course, I know why but it's just so blardy unfair <wails>.

Unfair it is. But then it's the price of the society we Brits have chosen to build in the last fifty years.

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”