Massacred daffodils.

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

John Ellis

Massacred daffodils.

Postby John Ellis » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Until they installed the pelican crossing on the A6 by Occupier's Lane and Yew Tree Avenue, there was a display of daffodils on the verge beside the bus stop which used to stand where the crossing now is, beside the field on the corner of Occupier's Lane.

Inevitably, the ground was all churned up when the crossing was installed and the pavement realigned early last year, and many of the bulbs were uprooted and ended up on the surface. You can hardly expect the electrical installation blokes to replant bulbs, so I walked down with my trowel and spent 20 minutes digging them back in again.

Naturally, not many of those daffodils bloomed last year, but I noticed this year that a number of them had come up, were in bud and about to flower. Not as good as previously, but at least a touch of colour at the roadside.

This morning, driving home in a line of traffic, I saw a bloke driving one of those rider-on mowers cutting the verge. As I drew level, he drove it blithely through the remaining daffodils, cutting off all their heads and leaves.

Why, I wonder, does the council, or its contractors, employ the insensate brain-dead to maintain its green spaces?
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Adora

Re: Massacred daffodils.

Postby Adora » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:20 pm

I can't answer your question because I don't know but your post filled me with hope actually.

You know from my other thread that my faith in human nature has been put to the test very recently but knowing there's a bloke out there, willing to go out with his spade and put those bulbs back, unasked, for the enjoyment of all....well, John, you're a lovely man :clap

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:39 pm

I coukldn't have put it more eloquently myself (and probably not as - if the truth be known !) :roll:

well done John........... or well tried anyway.
PS can you come and plant some flowers over t'border in Poynton ?

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:53 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Not sure I deserve these plaudits - just seemed the natural thing to do. One of the benefits of being retired is having time for such things.

In Poynton, oscarsmum? You mean such things happen in East Cheshire too?! :roll:

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Can't say we had any daffs to start with -- Maybe you could fill some holes in Park Lane John, oops you'd better move fast though between the lights changing !
:roll:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 am

oscarsmum wrote:Maybe you could fill some holes in Park Lane John, oops you'd better move fast though between the lights changing !
:roll:

Sounds like you mean potholes. Not sure my gardening skills, such as they are, would guarantee an adequate job on those!

Last time I was in Park Lane, I got totally bewildered by the elaborate temporary traffic light system that was operating at the time. Amateur pothole repairing along there sounds like a quick route to a trolley in A & E. ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”