Gravel lorry gone over on Torky bends.

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Adora

Gravel lorry gone over on Torky bends.

Postby Adora » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Happened about 2.30 this afternoon apparently.

Gravel all spilled into a garden (I wonder if they've ever considered a gravel drive?).

Driver was youngish and not badly hurt.

Partner in the cab was badly hurt but I don't know to what extent other than he is alive.

Torky Road closed at 4pm whilst they lifted the lorry back up right.

Info from (a) a police man and (b) a friend, so all the above is second-hand info.

Last accident on those bends was a car about 18 months ago I think. Before that, it was 5 years ago and another lorry.

Fingers crossed that both men make a full recovery and thank the Lord nobody else was hurt.

nedsram

Re: Gravel lorry gone over on Torky bends.

Postby nedsram » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Very sorry to hear that. Hope the passenger makes a good recovery. And I thought the "HGV roll-over risk" signs were OTT. Clearly not.

My wife can testify that it caused traffic chaos, as it took her an hour to get from Stockport to Hazel Grove this evening.

The RAC report that by 9.53 Offerton Road had been re-opened. I can't at present see anything on the local paper web sites about this.

Adora

Postby Adora » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 pm

Short piece about it in the Stockport Express. Not bad going since it only happened yesterday and the paper is printed and in the shops today. No mention of the injured passenger though.

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 pm

Quite a bit of mess to the gardens too............

Hope the passenger ok though.

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:18 am

I can't find the articles i was looking for, but there is a phenomenon known in Accident investigation known as "slow roll" more frequent with vehicles carrying moving loads i'e milk petrol etc even at very slow speeds of 15ish Mph.

I remember the signs going up on Torky Road quite a few years ago after a "spate" of rollovers into the gardens and i used to crawl around there for a while thinking the signs were mandatory limits, (they aren't) but it could take some explaining to justify "rolling" over with all the signs up.
Another favourite/frequent spot is the M56 west access slip at jnc 12 weaver viaduct where they have the 20mph signs :?

Hopefully everyone will be ok.

And for all you older Grover's anyone remember this :twisted: http://northwesttrucks.fotopic.net/p63374806.html

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”