New speed camera

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

nedsram

New speed camera

Postby nedsram » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 pm

This one is on the A6 northbound halfway between Simpson's corner and the police station. Having reduced the speed limit from 40 - which the Highways Authority deemed appropriate when they dumbed down the road about 15 years ago - to an inappropriately low 30, they stick in a camera in the middle of a dead straight stretch of road.

There's been speculation in "t'other HG forum" that the additional grey post contained an average speed camera, as there is now also one next to the camera outside Stockport Grammar School. In fact these new poles house additional flash units to make the second photo of the "speeding" vehicle clearer.

It's a pity that SMBC can't find a more useful way of spending their money. Note that this was put in place at the end of the financial year, when councils have to "spend or lose" any surplus funds. :evil:

See this thread on the camera, which also says that there is another one southbound.

nedsram

Re: New speed camera

Postby nedsram » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 pm

An update on the things on the grey poles just past the Gatsos.

There's a conspiracy theory that they are ANPR cameras, but the general consensus is that they are indeed additional flash units. There is also the suggestion that this allows an upgrade to digital from film (i.e. there won't be any film to run out), but nobody yet has any real explanation for the aerial on top of the unit.

A couple of other forum links worth looking at:

Safe Speed

policespecials

Update. They could well be ANPR cameras, and there have been stories in some forums of unmarked police cars nearby. If so, the purpose of the aerial becomes obvious. They have also appeared next to the cameras on Macclesfield Road, and next to several in Manchester.

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Mon May 10, 2010 3:54 pm

The rumour I hear is that this one can "look both ways" - i.e. measure speed of vehicles in both directions. Also that it doesn't need a cassette, so will work at all times ...

We live near it, and I argued against the sped limit reduction to one of our local councillors - the road's wide, has good visibility, not a huge amount of pedestrian traffic, and I thought some more strategically situated pedestrian refuges were all that was necessary - or a pedestrian crossing at most.

Unfortunately someone was killed while crossing about four years back, which seems to have turned the spotlight of attention on to this stretch of road ...
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Mon May 10, 2010 6:25 pm

John Ellis wrote:The rumour I hear is that this one can "look both ways" - i.e. measure speed of vehicles in both directions.

No I don't think so. The camera is a new-style digital Gatso, and works on the same principle.
John Ellis wrote:Also that it doesn't need a cassette, so will work at all times

Yes. Also the consensus of opinion is that the aerial on top of the additional flash unit is for transmitting the readings to the police. Several older style Gatsos have apparently also been converted to digital, hence the additional flash units that have appeared next to those as well. A bit like himalayan balsam. An infestation that pops up in unexpected places. :lol:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Mon May 10, 2010 11:31 pm

We live up a little lane just opposite the new contraption, so I'll normally be slowing down or (gently) accelerating away. Hopefully this will reduce the likelihood of the thing ever catching me out in a moment of forgetfulness. The camera by the park on the A523 Macclesfield Road caught my other half's sister's car a couple of months back when she was on the way home from visiting us. It clocked her at 37 mph, and she ended up doing one of those "learn to drive responsibly" courses at Carrington in order to reduce an otherwise swingeing fine ...
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”