Fiveways lights

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

oscarsmum

Fiveways lights

Postby oscarsmum » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I have recently travelled through these ,several times ,in an early evening to find them not working.

Is this planned because it seems to be happening so frequently ? I then travelled through again half an hour later to find them working . :roll:

Adamski

Re: Fiveways lights

Postby Adamski » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:43 pm

I wonder if when re-doing all the frontage outside the shops, they've disturbed a cable and this has caused the problem. It wasn't happening before the work started.

dinosaur

Postby dinosaur » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 pm

This has been an ongoing problem for a few weeks with only a short timespan for the Dean Lane exit phase.
The delays caused have been massive.

The tailbacks can be back to the Chester Road lights at sometimes in the peaks can anything be done, or is
it a case of ringing the Council, being given a Job Number and being told someone will investigate and get
back to you within five working days as is the usual response to any enquiries nowadays!

Regarding the work on the laybuys how much has this cost and why have they not been increased in depth
as any large car or van parked still sticks out into the main carriageway whilst there is still a very wide newly
paved area just as before. So much for road safety!

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:08 am

Still a problem - to my knowledge, one evening last week, then Saturday night. I've only seen it at night, though ...

I hadn't thought about the difficulty with larger vehicles parking on Dean Lane - does seem a missed opportunity not to deepen the bays.

In fairness, though, the revamp makes Fiveways look a bit more spick and span. That bit of shopping parade was looking a bit 1960s and tired. Flower tubs too ...
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:31 am

John Ellis wrote:That bit of shopping parade was looking a bit 1960s and tired. Flower tubs too ...

Oh no not flower tubs, they may look pretty :D , but if their council owned you have to pay a couple of people to keep them planted, then weeded, then watered (double time on a Sunday ?) Not including a van to do it all, is it a good use of taxpayers funds in these financially strained times when other front line services may be cut to keep the tubs going :?:

It's ok saying they only cost £100 each it's the upkeep and maintence, Stockports example of a proper roundabout on the A34 (Stanley green), neat,tidy and low maintenence brilliant, compared to the ones further up in cheshire which look like overgrown jungles usually with a few cars buried in them :roll:

There are also others in Stockport A34 included where you have to shut lanes etc (reducing much needed road space) for people to work in a little margin of safety, or Bredbury where there can be a van parked on the roundabout for a week with a couple of people weeding and planting, how much is that costing :?:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm

Come on, zzippy - you surely don't resent a bit of council tax going on brightening up and beautifying public space? Do we want to be totally functionalist and utilititarian?!

With a bit more tub-erecting and flower-bed planting, Hazel Grove might even become more attractive than Poynton. I know greening and prettifying the traffic-choked arteries of the Grove's a bit of a tall order, so I'm posing a very modest challenge by way of comparison ... ! ;) :roll:

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:24 am

John Ellis wrote:With a bit more tub-erecting and flower-bed planting, Hazel Grove might even become more attractive than Poynton. I know greening and prettifying the traffic-choked arteries of the Grove's a bit of a tall order, so I'm posing a very modest challenge by way of comparison ... ! ;) :roll:

Roll on the bypass then the Grover's can have their own version of the Park Lane, Shared space "initiative" where pedestrians,truck, cars and buses all mingle in perfect harmony (A bit like the grove now :twisted: :lol: )

As i was ambling down the Grove in the car the other day it would be ideal no need for bus lanes etc, just 1 lane of traffic each way with lovely wide block paved pavements, big tubs of flowers scattered along the promenade,sorry pavement and nice raised pull in's for the buses so everyone can get on and off in comfort without blocking the road up.

At this rate the grove could be the place to be a utopia among the grime of stockport :D

You could also have a few open squares for all the friday night fight entertainment :twisted:

Adora

Postby Adora » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:18 pm

:lol: t'Grove as a utopia! Aye, right!

Mind, the PROPOSED shared space scheme for Park Lane might actually take off Zippy. Lets face it, the town council can only work with what's there. They can't just wish there was a wider road with a better layout and it suddenly appears. As I've said a few times, Waitrose got in fair and square. They played by the rules and the town council DID object and then Waitrose corrected their bid and won - that's life. So, stuck with a decision they can do nowt about, they're now trying to make the best of a bad job - fair play to 'em!

It won't look as beautiful as Fiveways with it's own flower tubs but you'll all manage! :lol:

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Shared space initiative? Is this the idea I saw on the telly a couple of months back that's been pioneered in one or two Scandinavian towns, where they take away all traffic signs and road markings, and let pedestrians and drivers rely on their own innate courtesy and common sense to co-exist in the same space? I recall that some English town was thinking of trying it, but didn't know it was coming this way.

The film clip was quite impressive - people saying, or at least gesticulating and facial-expression-communicating, the Swedish equivalent of "After you!" "No, after you"! Of course, when the cameras had gone, they might have all reverted, with relief, to routine snarling, and gesticulations of another type. Still, Poynton folk may be sweeties, and Park Lane shoppers might take it it like ducks to the Macclesfield Canal ...

The idea of losing, post by-pass, a traffic lane each side of London Road in the Grove and replacing them with wide boulevardes where people can wander from one shopping emporium to another, or sit in the sunshine in front of Huffy's or the Three Tunnes sipping g & t's - or, more likely, pints of Robbies - has been aired on t'other Grove website, though the idea that this might provide an amphitheatre for Friday night ruckuses where happy folk would uproot litter bins, flower-tubs and even whole telephone boxes to hurl at each other occurred to some posters there too. Viability of the idea depends, I suppose, on just how much the traffic does reduce as a result of the by-pass - assuming it, and all of us, aren't totally financially "Osborned" by 2012. And on whether there are enough emporia left along London Road to make wandering from one to the other a fun shopping experience ...

Wouldn't work for me, as I hate wandering round shops anyway. I like to know what I want, get in, get it, and get out ... ! I might like sipping a brandy outside on a May evening, though. It certainly worked for Didsbury when I lived there - though there was a price to pay for it ...

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:39 pm

There were men working on the lights this afternoon, with temporary traffic lights in place. Hopefully they will have fixed the problem now.

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”