Speed Calming Measures Chester Rd

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs

Adora

Speed Calming Measures Chester Rd

Postby Adora » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 pm

So, the Sainsbury's money has finally been spent and a number of speed calming measures have been added to Chester road.

There's a VERY vocal portion of the community who are mad as hell about them.

The jury is still out with me.

They look a bit rubbish but they're fine to drive over at 30mph.

I'm fresh off a speed awareness course (got zapped doing 37mph in the 30mph Jackson's Lane). The course was excellent actually. One thing that's really stuck in my mind is the science behind the difference just 5 mph can make once you drive over 30mph.

It's physics basically - the force generated by the extra 5mph rotates the body and because the head is heaviest, the victim doesn't just get thrown to the floor -they flip and crash head down to the road, hence, broken necks, paralysis, death etc.

Probably important to point out I don't live on or near Chester Road either - so I've no strong opinions on this.

nedsram

Re: Speed Calming Measures Chester Rd

Postby nedsram » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:04 am

Adora wrote:So, the Sainsbury's money has finally been spent and a number of speed calming measures have been added to Chester road.

There's a VERY vocal portion of the community who are mad as hell about them.

I saw them for the first time last night. Add me to the list. A pointless waste of money.

Adora wrote:I'm fresh off a speed awareness course (got zapped doing 37mph in the 30mph Jackson's Lane). The course was excellent actually. One thing that's really stuck in my mind is the science behind the difference just 5 mph can make once you drive over 30mph.

It's physics basically - the force generated by the extra 5mph rotates the body and because the head is heaviest, the victim doesn't just get thrown to the floor -they flip and crash head down to the road, hence, broken necks, paralysis, death etc.

I see you've been indoctrinated with the "speed kills" rubbish. Bad driving and poor anticipation are what kill, not exceeding some arbitrary maximum permitted speed. If a child plunged off the pavement straight in front of you, he would probably die whether you were doing 30 or 37. There's an advert "driver in a hurry - child in a coma" on our local superloo near Fountain Place. Completely and utterly the wrong message - as well as being a completely faked "photograph" of a child sent flying through the air by a "speeding" car! (For example, why did the child plunge into the road without looking, straight in front of the car? Assuming you believe that any such incident actually happened. :evil: )

As there are no fixed speed cameras on Jackson's Lane, I assume that you were done by a policeman with a "hair dryer". Bad luck. At least you didn't get three points on your licence (as I did in North Wales once for doing 35 on a deserted road).

Belvoir

Postby Belvoir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:42 pm

I am currently doing the Advanced driving course... :) I would recomend it to anyone.. :clap

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Belvoir wrote:I am currently doing the Advanced driving course... :) I would recomend it to anyone.. :clap

A relative of mine could do with one of those. She has little idea what's going on ahead, as she spends all her time looking at the speedo to make sure she isn't above the speed limit. Sometimes she drives at 30 in a 40 area - she didnt see the 40 sign. I just hope no child runs out in front of her. But hey, she isn't speeding so that's OK isn't it. :twisted:

Belvoir

Postby Belvoir » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm

The Advanced course would sort her out :lol: Do you want the contact details? :lol:

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Yes please - I might be interested !

Adora

Postby Adora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm

nedsram wrote:I see you've been indoctrinated with the "speed kills" rubbish. Bad driving and poor anticipation are what kill, not exceeding some arbitrary maximum permitted speed. If a child plunged off the pavement straight in front of you, he would probably die whether you were doing 30 or 37. There's an advert "driver in a hurry - child in a coma" on our local superloo near Fountain Place. Completely and utterly the wrong message - as well as being a completely faked "photograph" of a child sent flying through the air by a "speeding" car! (For example, why did the child plunge into the road without looking, straight in front of the car? Assuming you believe that any such incident actually happened. :evil: )

As there are no fixed speed cameras on Jackson's Lane, I assume that you were done by a policeman with a "hair dryer". Bad luck. At least you didn't get three points on your licence (as I did in North Wales once for doing 35 on a deserted road).

Yes - zapped with hairdryer.

Bad luck - well, not really Ned. My own fault for exceeding the speed limit.

Children plunging off pavements - well, unfortunately, no matter how many thousands of times you tell them to stop, look, listen etc....children do just shoot out in to the road. Well, my two have been known to anyway!

The row regarding Chester Road is still raging. I feel sorry for everyone really - I can see it from all sides. There's been some modifications but it still looks piggin' 'orrible. Twas never that bit of Chester Road that ever bothered me though. The bit before the bridge, where three roads meet scares the living bejeebies out of me, both in the car and on foot!

Advanced driver - I fancy a bit of that myself OM and Bel. Gawd knows, I need all the help I can get. <embarrassed, rubbish driver emoticon> :roll:

Adora

Postby Adora » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:17 pm

....forgot to add....

I think the thing is Ned, when you're a bit of a crappy driver like me, at least if you are going slower, you've got more of a chance of reacting in time.

I suspect there's better ways of traffic calming than what's happened on Chester Road though. Come to think of it, I suspect there's roads out there that need it more! Torkington Road for example. I ain't no expert on these matters though.

nedsram

Postby nedsram » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 pm

I agree that something should be done about the very narrow bit near Grundey Street. The bit the've messed around with didn't strike me as particularly dangerous. It is now though - that traffic island is not wonderfully sited, and if you go over the bumps at 30, you get shouted at by the wife. :oops:

zzippy

Postby zzippy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:36 pm

nedsram wrote:I see you've been indoctrinated with the "speed kills" rubbish. Bad driving and poor anticipation are what kill,

You have been indoctrinated by the boys http://www.pistonheads.com/ :mrgreen:

nedsram wrote: not exceeding some arbitrary maximum permitted speed. If a child plunged off the pavement straight in front of you, he would probably die whether you were doing 30 or 37. There's an advert "driver in a hurry - child in a coma" on our local superloo near Fountain Place. Completely and utterly the wrong message - as well as being a completely faked "photograph" of a child sent flying through the air by a "speeding" car! (For example, why did the child plunge into the road without looking, straight in front of the car? Assuming you believe that any such incident actually happened. :evil: )

yes, but it still makes your blood run cold when you pass a place daily

http://menmedia.co.uk/news/s/169/169425 ... b_him.html

nedsram wrote: As there are no fixed speed cameras on Jackson's Lane, I assume that you were done by a policeman with a "hair dryer". Bad luck.

I suppose before that last Gov't :evil: a BIB would have used discression rather than have to meet :evil: "targets"

nedsram wrote: At least you didn't get three points on your licence (as I did in North Wales once for doing 35 on a deserted road).

What about the sheep :o , happily going about their own buiness on a quiet WELSH road ;) :o :twisted: When old Nedstram comes flying past 5mph over the limit and scares the heebeejeebies out of them :lol:

Adora wrote: I think the thing is Ned, when you're a bit of a crappy driver like me, at least if you are going slower, you've got more of a chance of reacting in time.

I suspect there's better ways of traffic calming than what's happened on Chester Road though. Come to think of it, I suspect there's roads out there that need it more! Torkington Road for example. I ain't no expert on these matters though.

No offence @ Adora :mrgreen: but maybe that's why speed limits are in place to protect people from the 95% of balloons on the roads :?

Adora wrote: It's physics basically - the force generated by the extra 5mph rotates the body and because the head is heaviest, the victim doesn't just get thrown to the floor -they flip and crash head down to the road, hence, broken necks, paralysis, death etc.

i've been to some interesting A/I course and work with a qualified A/I and some of the pictures and stories would make your hair curl, i wish i'd maybe taken more note of physics at school :oops: (Oh and had more hair to curl :( )

I've also done a DIC rather than a speed awareness course :oops: :mrgreen: ( a few years ago after my safedrive and Advanced driving courses :oops: :mrgreen: )

Oi Nedstram maybe you could redirect your relative to the cruise contol section of their vehicle manual :mrgreen:

And it would also help if those muppets in the SMBC road safety dept :evil: would take some of the Pedestrians/motorists watch out for each other signs down i'm too busy reading your "c**p"to watch the road, ask your planning Dept to bear that in mind when allowing planning permission for great big advertising hoardings by main roads :roll:

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”