Th'Asda

Post comments on local Hazel Grove issues or reply to others.

Moderators: tarboat, knighs, nedsram

Belvoir

Re: Th'Asda

Postby Belvoir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Its open!!

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Ooooooooooo what's it like - can't get there til Weds . :)

According to ASDA store locator it doesn't exist !

Adora

Postby Adora » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Erm.....well......it's OK.

It's a bit squashed, not helped by all the crowds (me included) all nipping in for a gander.

The tills are most odd. Can't quite get my head around them to be honest - 4 regular tills and six self-checkouts.

I had to scan the shelves briefly because it was packed and I had the children (mithering) with me but I spotted a few new things to try.

I think I might need to do a more serious skulk about when the crowds die down and the children are safely tucked away in school.

They've put mags, fags, papers, cards and that kind of stuff in the old Ethel Austin bit (with the PO at the end - yaaaaay!). I think that works very well.

When you do finally get to go OM, report back. I'm wondering if I'm being too picky and negative.....I think I'm becoming a bit jaded in me auld age :lol: :oops:

oscarsmum

Postby oscarsmum » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Adora,
Well I've been !

Ok I think underwhelmed is proabably the best description of how I feel.

Thought the till layout very odd - certainly not conducive to a big shop. :roll:
I was hoping to change my shopping habit from Stockport but don't think so. There was also a distinct lack of Smartprice products (Yes I know it isn't a full size store!).

I thought I might stock me wine rack up (hic) but the good wine on offer had only empty shelves.

Agree there should be a bread slicer - that would get me back !

Thought the car park was a dreadful layout - think my kids could have made a better layout.

Think I might steer clear until it's quietened down/opened the main entrance.

Maybe I'll even give Waitrose a try - that is literally a stones throw away or stick to good ol Morries in Poynton for me top up shop !

Oh happy Shopping ! :D :ugeek:

Adora

Postby Adora » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 am

That Morrisons in Poynton is a magic shop! Doesn't look like a right lot from the outside but seems to stock everything I ever need when I go in! :D

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:46 pm

Visited ASDA for the first time yesterday. Looks brighter than the Co-op did, but then that's hardly a striking achievement, and the staff seem cheerful and friendly.

But otherwise, I wasn't especially impressed. Overall, it seemed no cheaper than its competitors, and its range wasn't as wide as Sainsbury's - though I'm hardly a fan of theirs either. And I can't really get over the fact that ASDA's owned by that reputedly ghastly American conglomerate Walmart. There's more than enough of the American way of life permeating the UK these days without encouraging their corporate giants, and their customary contemptuous American attitude to low-paid staff.

I'm with Adora - Morrisons' in Poynton's the place for my main shop. I like it so much that I'd have posted it in blue too, if I knew how! The only thing I can't get there is H U G E boxes of PG Tips teabags, to serve my other half's addiction to same. And they don't have much decent plain chocolate, at a pleasing price. I still brave the muted chaos and faint grot of Sainsbury's for those ...
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Adora

Postby Adora » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 pm

John Ellis wrote: And they don't have much decent plain chocolate, at a pleasing price. I still brave the muted chaos and faint grot of Sainsbury's for those ...

Lordy John, you must be a very half-hearted chocolate lover - I'd eat the scrapings off the chocolate factory floor if it was all that was available! :lol:

I thought it was a bit gloomy in th'asda but you think it's brighter than it was when Co-Op ran it??? I often wondered about something - on the side of the building, overlooking the car park, there's two or three glass arches but they're bricked up on the inside. It's a bit like they were stuck on as an after-thought? They'd let a lot of light in!

John Ellis

Postby John Ellis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Adora, I'm only an addict with ciggies: I know what I prefer to smoke, but, if pushed, I'd smoke whatever was available.

Now with chocolate, I'm a connoisseur: I'm particular about what I like, and if there's nothing of what I like available, I'll do without!

I hadn't really noticed the blocked-in arches - I'll take a look when ... if! ... I revisit the store. It is brighter, but only because of the fresh paint and props which the Co-op - presumably knowing it was unprofitable, and might be for the chop - never gave it.
Rhydd i bob meddwl ei farn, ac i bob barn ei llafar ...

Return to “Hazel Grove Forum”